WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles

FL -- any success with sites this fall?

Hello Floridians. I've been coming up dry, well, wet, trying to camp this fall. I've been calling around to the parks/forests and been told either the trails or the sites are still flooded and/or closed. One of the park employees at Myakka State Forest is going to call me back this weekend, he's checking on the primitive sites over the weekend and will let me know....

I was looking to camp the weekend of Thanksgiving--can anyone recommend a site they've been to this fall, successfully, in SW or Central-ish Florida? I'm just not big on the drive-in mass campground sites, I like the hike-in primitive spots. Thanks!

deckster

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    We will be discussing trips this weekend around the campfire at LWRSF. Are you still unable to make this trip? I'm thinking of spending the Thanksgiving weekend at Gator Hole in the Green Swamp. Contrary to the name it can be extremely dry there. Last spring it was almost completely dry. Will probably need to hike in and check it out soon.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    We will be discussing trips this weekend around the campfire at LWRSF. Are you still unable to make this trip? I'm thinking of spending the Thanksgiving weekend at Gator Hole in the Green Swamp. Contrary to the name it can be extremely dry there. Last spring it was almost completely dry. Will probably need to hike in and check it out soon.
    I’m heading up north to see family for the weekend. Enjoy Creekside! Hope it’s dry enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    You can check with the various water management districts in Florida for available camping on their lands. Most are free for tent / hammock camping just need to apply for a permit. You will need to check for hunting that could be going on during your chosen weekend.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/camping.php
    Some of my friends have enjoyed camping at Potts Preserve from this website.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/port..._sel_parks_std
    We also enjoy camping at Kicco from this list. Actual campsite to reserve is Town of Kicco.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deckster View Post
    Hello Floridians. I've been coming up dry, well, wet, trying to camp this fall. I've been calling around to the parks/forests and been told either the trails or the sites are still flooded and/or closed. One of the park employees at Myakka State Forest is going to call me back this weekend, he's checking on the primitive sites over the weekend and will let me know....

I was looking to camp the weekend of Thanksgiving--can anyone recommend a site they've been to this fall, successfully, in SW or Central-ish Florida? I'm just not big on the drive-in mass campground sites, I like the hike-in primitive spots. Thanks!

deckster
    Deckster,

Check out the Manatee River State Park Primitive Camping area in Wimauma, FL. It's not too far North of Myakka River State Park. I hiked the area recently and it was dry.

Little Manatee River - Camping Primitive

Description:
    The Primitive Campsite is a backpacking site for tent or hammock campers, located 2.5 miles down the primitive Florida Hiking Trail. The site is equipped with a picnic table and a fire ring. The site has no electricity and no potable water. All supplies must be packed in and packed out. Pets are not permitted in the primitive camping areas. Individuals or small groups up to 8 people may reserve the site up to 2 months in advance. Reservations for primitive camping can be made by calling the Ranger Station at 813-671-5005. Primitive campers with reservations must check-in at the Ranger Station at least 2 hours before sunset to allow enough time to reach the campsite before dark, and before 5:00 p.m. when the Ranger Station closes.

The link to the site is: https://www.floridastateparks.org/ac...ping-primitive

Let me know how you make out.

All the best !
    Gil
    Largo, FL
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiGuy View Post
    Deckster,

Check out the Manatee River State Park Primitive Camping area in Wimauma, FL. It's not too far North of Myakka River State Park. I hiked the area recently and it was dry.

Little Manatee River - Camping Primitive

Description:
    The Primitive Campsite is a backpacking site for tent or hammock campers, located 2.5 miles down the primitive Florida Hiking Trail. The site is equipped with a picnic table and a fire ring. The site has no electricity and no potable water. All supplies must be packed in and packed out. Pets are not permitted in the primitive camping areas. Individuals or small groups up to 8 people may reserve the site up to 2 months in advance. Reservations for primitive camping can be made by calling the Ranger Station at 813-671-5005. Primitive campers with reservations must check-in at the Ranger Station at least 2 hours before sunset to allow enough time to reach the campsite before dark, and before 5:00 p.m. when the Ranger Station closes.

The link to the site is: https://www.floridastateparks.org/ac...ping-primitive

Let me know how you make out.

All the best !
    Gil
    Largo, FL
    Hey Gil! Yeah, I really want to try that site, it's close to home, but I called them this week and they told me the primitive site was closed for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll hike out there too, to the actual site, next weekend. I'll take some pics to show the park folks and see if I can convince them to let me book it.

Thanks!

Deckster

• + New Posts