Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Hanging at home, fall /winter 2017-2018

Since the mercury has finally started to drop and an icy blast of Canadian air has moved in over much of the east and mid west, I figured I'd start a thread for everyone to share their hanging at home in the cold stories for this fall/winter. Last night it was a brisk 20° here on the upper Chesapeake bay and with my new minus 10° HG custom Burrow + Incubator and XLC I hung out in the yard here at home and was super warm and comfy all night. I know Dutch mentioned he was gonna use his 0° HG set, and TxAggie & a few others were also gonna head out to enjoy the beautiful weather and try to conquer mother nature. So, who else got out their winter quilts for the first time or tested new gear last night? This cold snap should last the next week or two here in the east , so here's a thread for everyone to share their experiences, results, questions, ideas , stories and hang reports for those nights when your able to hang at home and test your new gear, try new ways of doing things or just to get out and pit yourself against mother natures icy grip. So, let's hear about it! Keep the the thread going all winter, I know I plan on hanging as much as possible now that I can FINALLY use my new quilts! How was your night hanging at home?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Coldest night so far for me this season has been -12c the other night. Took and stacked the 20* and 0* UQ with 0* TQ and was very very toasty.
    Last night was -5c and tonight likely about the same with a inch of snow possible (was to be 6" for tonight per forecast but that changes with the wind hahahha)
    Can't remember the last time I slept indoors at home here....my deck has become my bedroom and my bedroom has become my sewing room.....haha even sold the bed that was in there to make room for sewing projects

Meantime built 2 new tarps for hanging on the deck

RSBTR materials
    White tarp is 12' 2.2oz hex70XL with PU3000 coating.....it will be my winter/snow tarp.
    Kitimat-Stikine B-20171022-04512.jpg

Woodland camo tarp is 13' 1.6oz silpoly PU4000 for those blustery rainy nights.....if we ever see that again till spring time. It already took a 4" dumping on while I was out Hammock Hot Tenting.
    Kitimat-Stikine B-20171102-04536.jpg

Still have a 12' 1.1oz silpoly PU4000 tarp to build

Great thread idea Chesapeake!!!
    Hopefully this thread inspires more people to move their bedroom outdoors more often regardless of the weather....and you learn a LOT about your gear in the meantime which in the back woods is critical.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's funny that this thread started today because I just came in from hanging up my Warbonnet BB in the backyard with my 0 degree wookie and TQ. As soon as I get back from a Veterans Day ceremony, I am going to have my first sub 50 degree night and I can't wait!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Coldest night so far for me this season has been -12c the other night. Took and stacked the 20* and 0* UQ with 0* TQ and was very very toasty.
    Last night was -5c and tonight likely about the same with a inch of snow possible (was to be 6" for tonight per forecast but that changes with the wind hahahha)
    Can't remember the last time I slept indoors at home here....my deck has become my bedroom and my bedroom has become my sewing room.....haha even sold the bed that was in there to make room for sewing projects

Meantime built 2 new tarps for hanging on the deck

RSBTR materials
    White tarp is 12' 2.2oz hex70XL with PU3000 coating.....it will be my winter/snow tarp.
    Kitimat-Stikine B-20171022-04512.jpg

That a beautiful tarp... I love the white material. My problem is that I wake up as soon as it gets dusk... I can’t sleep late in a white tarp. ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I just switched out my XLC for my 11' diy Argon 1.6 and Warbonnet XL sock with the -10° set again since its still gonna be in the 20's tonight. I use the Argon hammock as my bed inside since its so comfortable. Bkrgi, those tarps look nice! Once my sewing chops are up I wanna make myself a hex for summer. I figured it would be nice having everyone's weekend hang reports all in one thread for easy reference and to maybe give others some ideas. Who else is hangn' at home tonight ,testing and getting those winter rigs all dialed in?
    Oh, here's a pic from this morning as the sun was just starting to turn the sky deep red and venus is really bright.

IMG_20171028_064535.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    That a beautiful tarp... I love the white material. My problem is that I wake up as soon as it gets dusk... I can’t sleep late in a white tarp. ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I went white to blend with the winter scenery and yup...to let the light in come morning.....our days up here getting real short now.

Kitimat-Stikine B-20171111-04560.jpg

Well i see the wind changed again...3rd time in less than 24hrs (forecasters sure can throw darts rather well).....snow has started and we could see 4" tonight now.....perfection once again.

Note: for anyone thinking of a winter white tarp.....I do notice some yellowing Randomly, likely do to the sun's effect...so...

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I WANT SNOW TOO!!! Can you send me some? I'll pay for shipping! Last winter I think I only got a total of like 8" ,but the year before we got a few feet so it can be super unpredictable here. And it always seems like the I-95 corridor right where I am is the line between lots of snow or just rain. So a little push to the east and it can dump snow, or it can just be a dusting while a few miles away gets 6". And living on the water makes it even more unpredictable. I hope this year is snowier than last though, we only got one really good snow storm that gave my girls and I enough to play in. That white tarp is sharp looking though!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Well we did not have much more than this for all of last yr so we are off to at least a start this yr....
    Now if I send snow/cold your way it is a guarantee that we here will be basking in a Pineapple express
    Looks like we got 2" of fresh white so far......on top of the 4

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’m just a wee bit sought of Chesapeake, got down to right around 22 last night. This is my first winter to attempt hammocking in, and I don’t have a full setup so it’s a hodgepodge. Costco Gemini setup in shoulder season mode with a Revelation 20* top quilt. HH Expedition Jungle hammock and a Superfly tarp. I went ahead and added a UQP due to the winds. Had a great night and it only makes me want to do more home hangs this winter.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Well it was a balmy 28° here last night .The sock did great and kept the wind and condensation out while keeping me in a nice bubble of warmth The inside was slightly damp but my quilts and I were dry. Around 3 I woke up and was sweating so I ditched the gloves, balaclava and unzipped my vest , that did the trick and I cooled down fairly quickly after that. Only with quilts like this could I be hot at 28° lol. Another great night hanging in the yard. How did everyone else make out?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast