DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Warbonnet RR w/ ALPS pad

So I currently use a Dream Hammock Dangerbird with a Hammock Gear Incubator under quilt. The more I see and hear about Warbonnets Ridgerunner the more Id like to give it a shot. I see mixed reviews with that hammock and a gathered end style under quilt like I use. So my question is..

How does a hammock gear incubator work with a bridge hammock. And how well do the double layered ridge runners work with pads. I have an ALPS mountaineering self inflating pad I could use, but I'm not sure how cold I could possibly use it to. Id rather use my quilts obviously but don't really want to be in the hole to buy a Lynx quilt to go with the ridge runner.

Thanks in advance!

Hunter

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There are some that have had luck using a gathered end under quilt with a RR but one of the nicest attributes of the RR is the way the quilts attach that prevent air from entering. The quilts designed for this hammock attach at 4 corners and have elastic that stretches when you get in the hammock that keep it very tight against the bottom of the hammock. The RR will also work with a pad but the colder it gets the sides of the hammock get cold. I love my RR and the only thing I would change is the weight. I wish it was lighter and had a way to hold my phone but otherwise I'd change nothing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use a pad in my DL Ridgerunner quite often. My pad is 30" wide so I don't have a problem with cold shoulders. However, I don't think a pad used in a hammock will be as warm as the same pad on the ground - probably because of air movement beneath it. My insulated V Luxe is good to about the mid 30's in the hammock. Good for much colder on the ground.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've only gone as low as 50°F with the RR and NeoAir Xtherm long/light. It's rated at 5.7R, but I reduced its rating by slightly deflating it. I was warm underneath.

Couldn't you hang any quilt while using an air pad between the layers to further extend the temperature rating?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have been experimenting with top quilts and under quilts lately getting ready for some winter hanging. First of all I highly recommend the RR, it is awesome.
    I have used my Exped 7 (R 4.9) inside the sleeve before I bought under quilts, so this would be an easy convert for you since you already have a pad. I tried it on top of the hammock as well as inside the sleeve, it stays a little better in the sleeve but I would benefit if it were a bit wider so if you are considering purchasing a new pad, see if there are any which would be snug on both sides inside the sleeve. You do not need to fully inflate it for use in a hammock.
    I have Arrowhead, Ridge Creek and the Ridge Creek XL
    What is the R rating of the pad and what temps will you be using it in?
    Besides the Lynx, there are several UQs out there which will fit a RR.
    JRB makes the MW 3 &4.
    AH makes the Synthetic RC.
    Loco Libre makes the Ridge Reaper.
    I have a question on Quilt temperature ratings, and R rating on pads. Is there any table to convert a quilt rating to a R rating?
    Last edited by electbc; 11-19-2017 at 17:33.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    I've only gone as low as 50°F with the RR and NeoAir Xtherm long/light. It's rated at 5.7R, but I reduced its rating by slightly deflating it. I was warm underneath.

Couldn't you hang any quilt while using an air pad between the layers to further extend the temperature rating?
    You would still want the UQ to hang tight to the hammock so you have less air infiltration.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by electbc View Post
    I have been experimenting with top quilts and under quilts lately getting ready for some winter hanging. First of all I highly recommend the RR, it is awesome.
    I have used my Exped 7 (R 4.9) inside the sleeve before I bought under quilts, so this would be an easy convert for you since you already have a pad. I tried it on top of the hammock as well as inside the sleeve, it stays a little better in the sleeve but I would benefit if it were a bit wider so if you are considering purchasing a new pad, see if there are any which would be snug on both sides inside the sleeve. You do not need to fully inflate it for use in a hammock.
    I have Arrowhead, Ridge Creek and the Ridge Creek XL
    What is the R rating of the pad and what temps will you be using it in?
    Besides the Lynx, there are several UQs out there which will fit a RR.
    JRB makes the MW 3 &4.
    AH makes the Synthetic RC.
    Loco Libre makes the Ridge Reaper.
    I have a question on Quilt temperature ratings, and R rating on pads. Is there any table to convert a quilt rating to a R rating?
    Does the JRB MW 3 & 4 fit well? It looks like doesn't have the appropriate cut to avoid interfering with the saddle bags.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    My problem with pads is I feel like the center of gravity is off. I tried a few pads and amounts of inflation, however, for me they just were not right. I felt perched on the RR, not supported.
    I felt the same in the summer during my initial trial. However, the height of each end as well as tightness of the lines may play a role in obtaining optimal comfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpterman2 View Post
    Does the JRB MW 3 & 4 fit well? It looks like doesn't have the appropriate cut to avoid interfering with the saddle bags.
    I don't know how well the fit is, but I did ask Jack if it does fit and the answer was yes.

Hammock
    WBRR / Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE / HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    My first and only hammock, so far, is the Ridge Runner. The double layer model holds a 30” pad quite well. I inflate my Klymit V pad to maximum and am an active sleeper. I have no issues with tippy feeling. The only issue I have is biting the bullet for top and bottom quilts. Tried a 30F rated down sleeping bag and was chilled at 58F in my basement hanging test grounds. Love the hammock hang, like sleeping on a floating cot, great for my active sprawled out sleep. Mummy bags are not, huge rectangular comfy bags work great for car camping, not back packing. Comfort comes at a price, I would rather have discomfort once ($$$) and comfort and enjoyment thereafter.
    Last edited by Saddleburr; 12-25-2017 at 15:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast