WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Vintage Sewing Machine vs Modern

Sooooo. I asked the neighborhood fb page if anyone had an old sewing machine laying around...and a neighbor had like 18.

My brother XR3240 bought from Costco last year has served me well and will continue to...but I fear using it for my new interest - backpacks.

So I started to consider options for a heavy duty unit capable of taking on some thicker stuff from time to time.

Also want more “harp space”!!

The more modern unit of most interest to me is the Juki 2010q unit - which is still portable - will work ok in my gidget table...and some nice modern features such as thread cutter, speed control, needle up/down button, and I’m told it is a heavy duty mostly metal unit (made in China backed fully by juki). This unit costs in excess of 800 dollars. Sewing had become an obsession in of itself for me - I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and have several projects eating as we speak...so I would find a couple things to sell if needed.

However - I’ve learned that a unit like the singer 201 and others can be highly adequate for my intended uses...albeit to some degree apples and oranges.

The neighbor has one in a cool vintage table she is giving to me if I do choose...it runs - the wiring externally looks fine - motor runs - the gears in operation feel smooth minus one bit - which I’m told a bearing needs a bit of grease.

I have no confirmed if it sews but the bulk of mechanicals seems fine and for free...seems ok

I’ve reached out to a singer 201 fb group and will join a forum - I’ll be interested to consider this more and see if it will satisfy my wants.

Will be an interesting “vintage vs modern” comparison

I read some of the history tonight for an hour - very cool history on this unit

I don’t yet have the serial number - snapped a photo only at this point...from the wear of it I am assuming it is not a 30’s or 40’s model - looks like some of the paint is wearing so aluminum or alloy based unit...

The cabinet may prove most useful to me...I’ll be interested to find out if many things would need fixing and cost me month - in which case finding a comparable unit on eBay etc but in better condition may be in order...

But it seems smooth and runs so hopefully just some things here and there and it’ll be a work horse for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    2t's 11 foot
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    poly biner beckett
    Images
    I'm not positive as Mine is a white Family Rotory, but it has an annoyance. That lever on the right is the stitch length. Drop it all the way down for reverse stitch. Then you have to try to get it back to the stitch length by feel. no clicks, indexes, notches, or catches at all. It slides smoothly. I put a piece of tape on mine to line the lever up with.

I have a much newer Singer that is plastic bodied but steel geared and it does everything. It's a 1507. Paid $15 at a garage sale and had to buy the electric cord/speed control for another $15 from e bay. Great machine for me.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Looks like an early 1950's to me. When I buy vintage machines , i typically take it to a sewing repair shop for the initial cleaning servicing etc. After that I maintain them on my ow. I just googled and youtubed how to service Singer 201 and that has taught me everything I needed.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Super Nova
    Tarp
    Winter
    Insulation
    Clews
    Suspension
    Rainbows
    Images
    This looks beautiful!

I agree that an initial tune-up by a pro is a good idea. I’m looking forward to hearing all about your projects with this machine.
    I sew things on youtube.
    My interview on HYOH Podcast.
    Check out my very cool Dutch Oven club.
    Find me on Instagram.

Images
    201's are highly prized for smooth running and durability- and it certainly doesn't hurt to have several machines(don't ask me how I know this).

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah

I think I’ll just find a pro local to do full repair

I’m Leary about a pro wanting to charge me “too much” - I’m ok wit 50-100 bucks - if more than that I would need to consider it more carefully.

It appears it will need little work though as it sounds and feels smooth

I’m excited

The table needs a good cleaning...Murphy’s oil soap?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I just cleaned an old 201 last night. I used qtips and alcohol . Basically, when old machines sit around the gear lube and oil turns into sludge that has to be cleaned out etc. I have been charged $150 for a full service before, but normal is 50-100. Try and see if you can find an authorized singer shop. Most parts can be found on ebay etc, and there a few websites that list the authentic parts#s so you dont buy an aftermarket one that might not work as well. Usually you have to replace the bobbin winder tire because they rot over time.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The neighbor Gifting it to me is a self proclaimed “sewing machine whisperer” - I’m a skeptical minded person but she may help me tonight clean it up inside - oil it - inspect all those parts that may need replacing - maybe that will prevent the need for the 100 dollar bill from the pro...I guess we will see

I’ve heard tale of sewing shops selling these in the floor fully functioning for around 100 bucks...and for as high as 300-400 (in more like very good condition near mint quality).

I was amazed at how quiet this ran when she turned it on!!

Hammock
    Super Nova
    Tarp
    Winter
    Insulation
    Clews
    Suspension
    Rainbows
    Images
    Whichever you use to clean the wood, you don’t want any residue transferring to your fabric. Oil soap may make the table greasy. I’m not sure.
    I sew things on youtube.
    My interview on HYOH Podcast.
    Check out my very cool Dutch Oven club.
    Find me on Instagram.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    My local construction recycling store had 5 or 6 sewing machines recently, spanning at least 30 years, including one of these... based on this thread, I may swing by and see if it's still there!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast