HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps

Packing it all together

After reading multiple threads that all hit around the subject, it got me thinking.
    Right now I pack my hammock, my TQ and my UQ all in their own stuff sacks then put them into my waterproof bag lined pack.
    I have been thinking about just leaving it all together and just stuff it straight into the waterproof liner in the pack, hammock,TQ and UQ.

Has anyone done this and how'd it work out?

Seems like a time and a slight headache fixer.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Works fine.

Minor +/- to each method but for me, I tend to stick with packing the quilts in my pack liner, and the hammock in my a stuffsack because it is easier deployment and packing for me.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Same as Otter, Quilts along with the puffy jacket, down socks, warm hat, and any other insulation/clothing gets packed into the pack liner and stuffed in the bottom of the pack. My hammock tends to be one of the first few things out and so it goes closer to the top of the pack.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I go back and forth but this week end I tried stuffing it all together and I couldn't compress the quilts down enough to fit everything in my 65 liter Gregory Baltoro. I'm back to stuffing the quilts into their own stuff sacks with my winter quilts.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I put all of mine in a 40L dry bag over weekend. I'm canoeing and bringing probably more than I'll need. Hammock & hex tarp in their own snake skins. UQ and TQ in their own sacks. Two CDTs in their own sacks. One bottom layer for sleeping, loose, and my straps in a bag. It all fits about right. I think the snake skins help with the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I still use an older external frame pack.
    My sleeping bag that I use as a topquilt goes on the bottom of the frame,
    and I have an oversized bishop bag that I built (~8" diameter, 14" tall - maybe 12 liters?)
    And I store my hammock, fonkey bugnet, gear hammock, underquilt and suspension (if dry) all in that - and it goes at the top of my pack.
    It is only loosely compressed - so I could go smaller with it if volume required it.

From a setup/teardown perspective - I like how quickly it deploys - and it keeps things like my underquilt pretty much fiddle free.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I go back and forth but this week end I tried stuffing it all together and I couldn't compress the quilts down enough to fit everything in my 65 liter Gregory Baltoro. I'm back to stuffing the quilts into their own stuff sacks with my winter quilts.
    I also had this problem. An it bugged the heck out of me everytime I opened my pack to get something out the quilts would start expanding pushing everything on top out of the bag.
    The couple grams saved from leaving the stuffsacks at home did not improve my time outdoors it caused anxiety and flustration.

Images
    I do- hammock, tq,uq all together (leaving uq attached to hammock) and stuffed into plastic trash compactor bag inside backpack. I use an old external frame pack with a DIY bag which is quite large. This makes camp set up and tear down easier and I don't mind the bigger pack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I also had this problem. An it bugged the heck out of me everytime I opened my pack to get something out the quilts would start expanding pushing everything on top out of the bag.
    The couple grams saved from leaving the stuffsacks at home did not improve my time outdoors it caused anxiety and flustration.
    I agree. I just hate stuffing all that down into the stuff sacks. I'm just lazy that way but for cold weather camping I'm going to have to take the time to do this.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I agree. I just hate stuffing all that down into the stuff sacks. I'm just lazy that way but for cold weather camping I'm going to have to take the time to do this.
    If you buy or make oversized stuffsacks packing is easier and the quilt will conform to the pack eliminating all those dead spaces folks complain about with tight over stuffed bags.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast