Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    the single bag thing again just to see if there’s a difference in volume, which seems to be my biggest restriction.
    I have a Gobi Gear sack, like a stuff sack with a 4-way divider. I used to keep (get this) a 10x10 in a sack w/all lines, an NSN poncho (the extraserious kind) in a sack w/ all lines, a sock bugnet in a sack (with a lil draw line to pull the hammock's SRL through), the pillow, the hammock w/ all its necessities in its sack, some random rope, a legit sandfilled hacky sack (im old inside this young body), and I feel like something else that I cannot remember right this moment. Then that got stuffed into my 45L ozark trails bag. When i made the jump to 'toss it all in there willynilly' i was pleasnatly surprised at the gain in volume. Trading the gobi bag for the Jarbidge as the holder for the hammock and pillow is the bees knees.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    I use a Osprey Atmos 50 AG for backpacking. My HH and WB tarp go in the sleeping bag compartment. I then use a contractor
    bag in the main compartment and stuff my quilts clothes and anything else I want to keep dry into the bag. Then by other
    stuff goes on top (food, cooking stuff, etc). I got away from stuff sacks for simplicity and to keep the weight down. I recently
    purchased the ZPacks pack liner which fits the Atmos 50 perfectly but have not had a chance to use it yet.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    So the kids went with their dad for the weekend, and since the bed hurts me i commandeered their hammock anchors. Setup my setup and when I broke camp, i just stuffed the whole shebang (hammock, UQ, pillow, sundries) into the jarbidge's stuff sack wild with the two CLs free and clipped to the cinch line to keep from loosing them. When i re-deployed, everything was a little twisted, but fell into place easy. Think ima just roll with that as the new method, saves time with the UQ, maybe wont have to let it touch the ground any. A bishop bag would be great though...might button-hole it, but thatd negate the water resistance of the stuff sack....meh, compactor bags...
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 11-19-2017 at 03:23.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

I have been stuffing my pack with uq connected for a long time and find it easier to set up. Everything seems to stuff better so I'm going to try an experiment to separate my uq from the hammock for awhile. I've found that connecting my uq to the ridge line by prussic knots better insulates me. Heading out back today to see if my hammock stand can accommodate my new 11ft hammock.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Hiking mostly on the east coast, I always pack for rain. First in/last out. The quilts go in a big stuff bag with my sleeping clothes and sacred socks, and that goes in the bottom of my inner sanctum - a trash compactor bag pack liner. The hammock is in a Bishop bag, and it goes in the inner sanctum along with phone/camera charging stuff. That gets rolled down tight, everything else gets put on top, and the pack is ready to close.

My potentially wet hammock suspension gets rolled up. My tarp goes in its own stuff sack along with stakes, and that’s all stuffed into the big stretchy pocket of my Ohm2 with my rain gear. Ready to hike.

If it’s raining when I’m ready to make camp, I drop my pack between the trees, and quickly put up my tarp. Then I have all the time in the world to get dry and warm. Change into my dry layer, maybe start boiling water for a hot drink, put up the hammock, make adjustments, make dinner, get the quilts out and hit the rack.

L Dog
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Good strategy when rain is in the forecast. I've only gotten to do one 20 mi. hike so far. I'm 63, soon to be 64. I have gotten my pack down to 10 lbs. now. Hope to hit the trail in the spring.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnystriple View Post
    Good strategy when rain is in the forecast. I've only gotten to do one 20 mi. hike so far. I'm 63, soon to be 64. I have gotten my pack down to 10 lbs. now. Hope to hit the trail in the spring.
    You got a year on me. I hiked the AT in five sections, and am looking forward to the LT next year. My pack for that hike is hovering around 14, but a good chunk of that is cold wx layers ...

L Dog
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Images
    I've been thinking about the lazy slug tube for a bit now, because, well, I'm lazy. Simply Light Designs makes one out of 1.1 sil that's 3oz or one out of mesh that's 2.25oz. I like that idea of using the uqp and toggles, but I haven't used my uqp much lately and I'm pretty sure it weighs a bit more than 3oz but I'd have to check. I emailed them the other week asking if he'd make it out of a different lighter fabric, but not sure if it's worth it.
    Last edited by fallkniven; 11-19-2017 at 18:30.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    DW Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    . I like that idea of using the uqp and toggles,
    This actually sounds perfect to me, how does that work? I have my uqp on year round so that just makes sense to me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smb82 View Post
    This actually sounds perfect to me, how does that work? I have my uqp on year round so that just makes sense to me.
    go back to the previous page
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234