Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I use S Biners to close the Tarp doors during set up, when staking the Tarp Down. Then I remove the S Biners and Buckle the Shock cord to the opposite corner D Ring. This allows the doors to overlap slightly, closing off the opening but allowing a slight gap for the hammock strap. I thought about using two Dutch door clamps but they would stay attached to the doors full time; where as the S Biners can be slipped on and off for multiple uses. When I don’t use S Biners, it’s difficult to fully close the doors after the tarp is staked out.

I understand the problem of stepping over cordage. However, when I leave one door open, I usually simply stake down the on D-ring or loop of the shock cord at the entrance;rather than the corner. Hope this make since. That is the advantage of the Dutch Door Hook or the Kam that others have posted.

I have just chosen to stick with the shockcord and Buckle System for the majority of situations I am attempting to match.
    Last edited by gbolt; 11-13-2017 at 19:54.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I appreciate the responses, still trying to figure out what will work best for me.
    SCD
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 11-13-2017 at 20:58.
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I've had shock cord on my door tie-out triangles for years. (Hope the following makes sense.) I usually hook them using S-Biners onto the corner tie-out triangles or even the corner tie-out stakes overlapping the doors when closing. This makes it difficult to open one half of a door because you must step over the opposite doors shock cord, or at least that's what most would do. I tend however to trip over mine which brings me to my point.

I thought of just closing the doors "to" each other using an S-Biner in the triangles but it's obvious this would leave a slight opening. May not be good in blowing rain. I thought about a full velcro closer but sometimes long lengths of velcro can be a PITA.

How do you guys close your doors?

Sorry I have no pics, I hope this is understandable. You input is appreciated.
    SCD
    I do exactly as you say: extend to the opposite tie-out stake which overlaps the doors. However, I only do this on the head end which I try to angle more into the wind. I enter and exit through the foot end, and there I only have one door staked in a closed position with its own stake, the other is either tied back or staked open.

If it’s exceptionally rainy, I will pull both to the opposite triangles as you’ve mentioned once I’m inside.

I use metal mitten hooks for my door tie-outs.

Images
    Electbc- one way to keep tarp clips from slipping is to use a thin layer of rubber between the clip and the silnylon. Small pieces cut from latex balloons or gloves will help.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I do exactly as you say: extend to the opposite tie-out stake which overlaps the doors. However, I only do this on the head end which I try to angle more into the wind. I enter and exit through the foot end, and there I only have one door staked in a closed position with its own stake, the other is either tied back or staked open.

If it’s exceptionally rainy, I will pull both to the opposite triangles as you’ve mentioned once I’m inside.

Thanks for this post, I have started to do the same thing; close the head end - face it south to south west - and use the foot end to enter and exit the Tarp. Probably overthinking, but makes things smoother.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Thanks for this post, I have started to do the same thing; close the head end - face it south to south west - and use the foot end to enter and exit the Tarp. Probably overthinking, but makes things smoother.
    I agree and there is the added benefit of not tripping over my headend pullout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

This makes a lot of sense to me. S-Biners seem to work better for my gorilla hands so I have swapped all of my mitten hooks for S-Biners. I'm gonna give this a try.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    This makes a lot of sense to me. S-Biners seem to work better for my gorilla hands so I have swapped all of my mitten hooks for S-Biners. I'm gonna give this a try.
    I’ll setup either tonight or tomorrow night and post since a couple of people have commented on it. I’m not sure it’s the “best” way but it’s works for me so far.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I’ll setup either tonight or tomorrow night and post since a couple of people have commented on it. I’m not sure it’s the “best” way but it’s works for me so far.

That would be helpful.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    The line locks with a hook on the end work pretty darn well for closing the doors too. I recently switched over to those instead of the little side release buckles. I switched over to using those on the lines for my tarp tie outs as well. There is still the problem of having to step over one line to get out the door, but as others have stated I usually desonate one exit and use a steak to tie out one of the doors so I only have to unhook and open one door and have no line to step over getting in and out. In that configuration you can hook just one door open and leave the rest closed or staked as well. All though snaps sound like they would work, I know some people that use velcro in the same manner. Just don't add too many snaps or you'll be spending a lot of time snapping snaps lol.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast