Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Generally speaking, if you pour cold liquid into a cold container, filling it to capacity, and then place it where it will warm up, the now warming liquid will likely expand beyond the containers capacity. It "leaks" because it has to. It doesn't necessarily have to become hot for this to happen. I have no idea if that's what's going on with the zippo, but it seems plausible.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yea, I had one of these and getting a good one is hit or miss these days. Now I just carry hot hands which are easier to use and safer.

Never had issues when used correctly.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    walmart has hand warmers that are reusable indefinitely so long as they aren't punctured. You boil them to prep for next use. It's a chemical reaction set off by a sonic click of a little metal button inside. Very hot and last a decent time.

I have used Jon-E hand warmers on the dairy for years. Never been burned by any leaks. You really should not over fill. They burn the vapor so extra fluid is no benefit. I kept it in my sweatshirt pocket inside my carhart bibs. Easy 6 hours of continuous heat. Easy to refill and restart. I wouldn't hesitate keeping one inside a sock at my feet in the hammock. They DO NOT get hot enough to melt nylon on their own.They can burn exposed skin, hence the sock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've used them in the past. Sometimes they would go out depending on how little oxygen was getting to them. I actually got burned from one when I accidentally fell asleep in my hammock and had it on my chest for a long time. My skin got burned from length of exposure not high temperature. Mine have become less consistent and I've turned to a battery operated warmer that doubles as a charger. It's safer and doesn't rely on oxygen so I can put it anywhere. It won't heat up a quilt like a hot water bottle but is good for spot warming areas. It's heavy and bulky but it's a trade off I don't mind.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    I've used mine many times in the hammock and wasn't even aware they could leak. Perhaps more alarmingly, I ALWAYS overfill mine

It came with instructions to use a double dose of fuel the first time to break in the device and never do so again. Pfffftt... if it can handle it the first time, it can handle it every time. Logic!

So yea, I've never had issues with it and it doesn't leak even if I turn it upside down, but I will be considerably more careful with it in the future. I also have another brand I got in Massdrop in the spring I haven't had a chance to use yet.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Interesting discussion. I used to have one of the old solid fuel hand warmers that I took with me when winter camping. When it worked it was great, but it had a tendency to extinguish within an hour or so, and cleaning it out was a challenge.

Mine have become less consistent and I've turned to a battery operated warmer that doubles as a charger.
    Thank you! I just added this to my camping list on Amazon.

The catalytic converters go out after while. You can buy replacements that slide right on.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I winter camped once with one in a shirt pocket. I woke up the next day with a singed shirt and a burned chest. I got lucky.
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker Boy View Post
    I winter camped once with one in a shirt pocket. I woke up the next day with a singed shirt and a burned chest. I got lucky.
    Wow..I had no idea I would get this many horror story responses. Was yours an older one? Not sure if that matters or not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast