WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Ridge Reaper - does it need draft collars?

Do the draft collars make a difference on the Ridge Reaper? I have only used the Lynx and that doesn't have any. Are they worth the extra money?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't think they would be needed because if the quilt fits like it's supposed to it will be rubber band tight.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Not necessary, but I've used my demo at hangs and it definitely makes an air tight seal.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I ordered them on mine. I'd rather spend the few extra dollars now, rather than wish I'd ordered them later. I figured they might help with wind and there are a few hangs I do each year with the potential for -20 C/ -4 F. I'd rather be warm than sorry!

That being said, my hanging Buddy uses a Lynx. I'll report back in the spring.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the answers. I sleep very cold, but my feeling was, that the Lynx doesn't have any gaps that need sealing. I assume that the Ridge Reaper has the same kind of seal; that's why I was wondering what a draft collar can possibly add. I found draft collars helpful to some degree with shock cord suspended underquilts, but the Wooki (which to me is the equivalent of the Lynx for GE hammocks) made them redundant. It's not so much about the money but rather the added weight. If the collars add noticeably more warmth that would be OK.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would be afraid the collars would work opposite the way they were designed by pulling the under quilt away for those few inches where they are against the quilt. I know my Lynx fits very tight as I tried to grab the edge last weekend and could hardly get my fingers between the hammock and the quilt so there's no air getting in there.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I would be afraid the collars would work opposite the way they were designed by pulling the under quilt away for those few inches where they are against the quilt. I know my Lynx fits very tight as I tried to grab the edge last weekend and could hardly get my fingers between the hammock and the quilt so there's no air getting in there.
    The collars absolutely don't push the quilt away. Even on a gathered end they shouldn't push the quilt away. As I said, they are not a necessity, but if you toss a lot the could help avoid any momentary issues. I slept in a 20° Ridge Reaper 2 weeks ago and was absolutely warm all night, no matter how I moved (and I was all over the place ).

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I was just thinking through Draft Collar or not. I see George Carr's comment, however I think Trail Slug echos my thoughts on the draft collar.

I do put draft stoppers on my TQ because they stop all the little air leaks. I just use a flange of fabric, no down needed, just a flap of fabric gets the leaks. The UQ and TQ form a seal.

I sleep really cool, my heart rate drops very low plus I hang a lot in humid conditions, our snow is more like white rain.

My Lynx was a nice secure fit, never a leak of cold air. I am probably going to replace it with the 0 degree w/o draft collar, maybe, not sure as I am thinking about this discussion.

Maybe the fact it is offered as a option means it might or could be needed. I guess I will go back to the Winter Lynx, with a proven to me, preformance.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I was just thinking through Draft Collar or not. I see George Carr's comment, however I think Trail Slug echos my thoughts on the draft collar.

I do put draft stoppers on my TQ because they stop all the little air leaks. I just use a flange of fabric, no down needed, just a flap of fabric gets the leaks. The UQ and TQ form a seal.

I sleep really cool, my heart rate drops very low plus I hang a lot in humid conditions, our snow is more like white rain.

My Lynx was a nice secure fit, never a leak of cold air. I am probably going to replace it with the 0 degree w/o draft collar, maybe, not sure as I am thinking about this discussion.

Maybe the fact it is offered as a option means it might or could be needed. I guess I will go back to the Winter Lynx, with a proven to me, preformance.
    Since you are both established and respected posters here I'll put my money where my mouth is - I'll send my 20° Ridge reaper out to each of you to try if you'd like. Then you can make an informed opinion of the product. Just pm me and let me know.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Since you are both established and respected posters here I'll put my money where my mouth is - I'll send my 20° Ridge reaper out to each of you to try if you'd like. Then you can make an informed opinion of the product. Just pm me and let me know.
    Sorry George as you are the designer and have done the testing you have the first hand knowledge. In my mind (which is getting weaker by the day) I was just "thinking" it would create a bump but like you said I do not have one of these so I can't and shouldn't have commented. If it works as well as all of your other quilts that I own it'll work great as I love my 3 LocoLibre Ghost Pepper quilts. I apologize for the doubt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast