Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Adding insulation to your SnugPak UQ with $20 and 10 minutes

I've only purchased the SnugPak UQ so far, and since I don't have the sewing skills to DIY a real UQ, I figured I would use what I have to lower the rating of my SnugPak. I have a couple of CDTs and some KAM snaps. Armed with those and some free time before the wife & I head out to a movie tonight, I decided to layer the throw on top of (inside) the SnugPak and hopefully lower its effective rating. (Note... I've already had end channels added to the SnugPak to be able to cinch down the ends to eliminate drafts.)

I pushed some of the KAM Snap caps through the side channels of the UQ--one about 7" down each end of each end channel (4), and then one from the middle of each side (2) for a total of 6 snaps. I did it this way so the snaps aren't visible from outside. I fastened studs to the CDT as close to existing seams as possible, and the sockets to the UQ channels. I was careful to place the snaps symmetrically on the CDT so that there's no "head end" or "foot end" to cause problems during a field assembly. The loose corners of the CDT will just tuck inside the UQ.

My only goal was to be able to throw the CDT on top of the UQ and keep it in position while I'm laying in the hammock. As a bonus, the UQ still fits into the stuff sack. It's a tight fit, but it cinches up and compresses a little.

I'll get the chance to try it in a little less than 2 weeks and I'll report back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snaps; 11-17-2017 at 20:04.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Great minds... I was thinking of doing this with a fleece blanket. I have to find a down throw... Thanks for the post.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Great Idea.! I to have modified my Snugpak UQ with end cinches and a secondary suspension , now it hangs just like all my other UQ's. Ive also modified the TQ by removing the wings from the sides and user them to deepen the footbox. I use mine all the time at home since I live on the water where it tends to be foggy and damp quite a bit. If I add in the Cocoon, they are good well into the low 20's.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    If u had a couple of CDT's, wouldn't it be better just to make a low weight compact UQ out of those. I know there are plans on the forums here to make them without sewing. I only ask cause i have a snug-pak UQ. I love it, but its not very light, and not very compact.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    It's really not... but I have one, and chose to use it. I bought the CDTs with the intent to DIY a UQ, but at the moment I'm planning mostly canoe trips where room or weight isn't a big concern. I have my entire hammocking setup in a 40L dry bag. I'm sure I could pack it down to less volume if I had down insulation instead of the SungPak stuff... and I will, if I end up being able to use it enough to justify the cost. But for now, this will work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    It's really not... but I have one, and chose to use it. I bought the CDTs with the intent to DIY a UQ, but at the moment I'm planning mostly canoe trips where room or weight isn't a big concern. I have my entire hammocking setup in a 40L dry bag. I'm sure I could pack it down to less volume if I had down insulation instead of the SungPak stuff... and I will, if I end up being able to use it enough to justify the cost. But for now, this will work just fine.

compared to a down UQ? It really is......Don't get me wrong, I love my snug-pak UQ. But compared to the down quilts of equal warmth, Its a BEAST.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    compared to a down UQ? It really is......Don't get me wrong, I love my snug-pak UQ. But compared to the down quilts of equal warmth, Its a BEAST.
    I guess it would have helped if I used a quote. You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    I love it, but its not very light, and not very compact.
    ...and I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    It's really not...
    It's definitely NOT light, and NOT small.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    gotcha. misunderstanding. lol. I really do like the snug-pak. Thinking of making a Down version. I'll use the snug-pak for the template plus end cinches. I really don't mind the suspension on the snug-pak. Besides not having end cinches. Once it's adjusted to your liking, it doesn't move.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Yeah, it mates up well with my hammock. I had some slippage the last time I used it, but the end channels & new shock cord should help with that.

Speaking of snugpak, this past weekend I spent a night at about 6000 feet at 20 degrees with freezing rain and s Snugpak as my UQ and a 30 degree loca libre TQ. Only other thing I had was a 2 foot section of reflextix under my butt and lower back. I wasn't warm but I was more then ok. I did have a nice jacket and smart wool bottoms on. Overall I was impressed and slept decent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast