Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Last year I got my son into a hammock (he's 12). He was the first in his B.S. troop to be hangin'.....this year we took a handfull of the boys on a trip up the AT-(shortened due to some heat issues-but thats another story) a majority of the boys, and some leaders,(8 hangers out of 12 hikers) are now hangin' and love it!!!!- Thanks to all of you for all the support and help when I was interested- now I can pass on what I've learned and get even more people comfortably off the ground- My son and I use the hammock every time we are out- been down to 25 deg's with out issues- the interest and support from the B.S troop has been great- and more and more are looking at trying it out!!!!!

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas4321 View Post
    Well, 10 nights at Camp Cutler (for BSA National Youth Leader Training) in a hammock... I'm really going to miss the incredibly comfortable nights sleep!
    Been to Cutler many times. They have a great Cub Camp there and a great sledding hill right off one of the cabins for the winter.
    Peace,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    Been to Cutler many times. They have a great Cub Camp there and a great sledding hill right off one of the cabins for the winter.
    That would be the Winter Building, and it is indeed a great sled run. I was hiking through it on Friday night.

I got to drive the Gator all over the camp, and it has a ton of awesome sites for camping in general, and there are trees everywhere!

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas4321 View Post
    That would be the Winter Building, and it is indeed a great sled run. I was hiking through it on Friday night.

I got to drive the Gator all over the camp, and it has a ton of awesome sites for camping in general, and there are trees everywhere!
    We used to invite the Webelos down for a cabin campout and some sledding. A great way to entice them to join our troop. I never got to try out the trees. I left the area before I learned the proper way to camp
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Hey guys,
    My son is crossing over next month. I've been inquiring with the troop leaders about the use of hammocks and have gotten a less than luke-warm reception. I've decided that I'm going to get one anyway. I think their main issue is with some camps not allowing hammocks.
    So if I may be forced to ground pitch, what commercial models are better suited
    When you can't tree hang, are there any pole systems that are worth looking at?
    Thanks

Images
    Congrats to you and your son for the step to Boy Scouts. That's something for both of you to be proud of. I didn't stay in Cub scouts long enough to get my arrow of light, luckily I joined boy scouts later on.

I pitched my DIY cat cut tarp on the ground once with good results. Commerically I know the JRB have picks of their tarps on the ground. I also saw on another thread they have a really good deal going on with there complete setups.

I think any rectangular tarp will be easy to setup on the ground and give you a lot of options. Ed Speer also has a good setup using one.

In terms of them not letting you at camps. I think, I don't have a lot of data to back it up, but I think a lot of leaders don't know about hammocks and the rules. So it's easier for them to say no or negative things about them. Get them to try it, that should change their mind.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Hey guys,
    My son is crossing over next month. I've been inquiring with the troop leaders about the use of hammocks and have gotten a less than luke-warm reception. I've decided that I'm going to get one anyway. I think their main issue is with some camps not allowing hammocks.
    So if I may be forced to ground pitch, what commercial models are better suited
    When you can't tree hang, are there any pole systems that are worth looking at?
    Thanks
    Congrats on the cross over.

Initially, there was some resistance and a lot of comments from my troopmates. Over the last three years, the comments have pretty much stopped and a transition to acceptance has occured. The only camp that I know that has a policy against hammocks is Philmont, but that was recently challenged (but not proven) in a recent thread. If anyone gives you a lot of grief, tell them to research Lord B-P's notes. He describes camping in a hammock and a tarp.

Best of luck in your son's scouting career.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    It amazes me how much ignorance is out there. Kinda like in Church, some people are to hard wired to see common sense. When I was in Boy Scouts in Oklahoma, I took a cheap net hammock with me to lounge in, and my scout master actually let me sleep in it one night. Back then they didn't care. As long as you have adequate rain coverage, why would they mind. I HATE being in a tent when it is raining, but being in a hammock, under a tarp is actually peaceful.

Does anyone know the reasoning why some Camps ban hammocks? Is it that they think that they hurt trees? Or, does that tent door actually do something to protect you from the boogy man?

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    At Philmont, they are really anal about bears. Those in my troop that have been, tell me it's 'cause they they don't want anyone without a buddy. If your hanging, your solo. Even if you have a buddy hanging in the trees next to you! I think there is a certain amount of ignorance there as well.

I've not been to another scout camp that has said no.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    At Philmont, they are really anal about bears. Those in my troop that have been, tell me it's 'cause they they don't want anyone without a buddy. If your hanging, your solo. Even if you have a buddy hanging in the trees next to you! I think there is a certain amount of ignorance there as well.

I've not been to another scout camp that has said no.
    Is this where a double hang would come in handy?

I never was a boyscout, Dad and I got out and we camped to my heart's desire, so I don't know. It seems to me like two hammocks hanging side by side, coupled with a spreader bar, leaves the scouts as close as they would be inside a tent.
    Just a though, do the leaders/adults share a tent? If not, then it's a double-standard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast