Freedom V1 from Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    DIY hex w doors
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

First down purchase... 20* or 0*?

I’m looking to take advantage of the Black Friday sales and pick up a UQ/TQ set from one of our forum vendors. I️ live in GA and backpack on the southern part of the AT a lot. Should I️ go with a 20* set or a 0* set? The coldest I’ve camped had been in the 20s. I️ like the idea of having more warmth than I️ need, but I️’m concerned that a 0* setup will be too warm on most of my trips. I️ have a 3-season Jarbridge that I’ve used to this point and it’s worked well for me. I’m a somewhat warm sleeper. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I am a warm sleeper myself, and my 20* Loco Libre Saver Series set is perfect for me. For me, they're more like 10* quilts. I also have my DIY CDT quilts that I can supplement if I need even more warmth. When it's warm out, I find myself using my CDT TQ instead of the 20*.

I'm thinking if the Jarbidge has worked well for you, and you're in GA, a 20* set should be perfect. FWIW, I HIGHLY recommend Loco Libre's SS quilts. They are top notch!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I'm a cold sleeper, so take it for what it is worth...
    I'd be tempted to go with a 10 degree underquilt, and 20 degree topquilt.

That said, I've got a CDT underquilt that I can use in warmer weather already.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

First down purchase... 20* or 0*?

If it was me, I'd go with the zero and adjust if I get too hot.

Adjust=stick a foot or two out . . . or slide the UQ way down--past my waist/kiester. For an extreme change, pull the entire quilt off to the side (easy with the Chameleon or other two sided entry hammock), but then I'd probably need to add something thin under me like reflectix or a pad--unless that was already in place.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd get the 20* quilts - you're in Georgia! Here in NJ, my first quilts were 20* and I used them from 70* F all the way down to 13* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    For Georgia, I’d say
    20*. Less bulk, less weight. Your current camping style is 20* or above, so stick with something you will use most of the time you go. If you want to camp in lower temps at some point in the future, you could get a 0* or you could get a 40* and stack them.

Personally I can’t image having a 0 UQ in the 50-70s. People talk about venting but the problem I’ve had is venting when it is windy. The wind cools you down, so you snug up the UQ and then get too hot. Others seem to make it work so maybe I’m doing something wrong.
    Anyway good luck shopping.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I agree with the others & their recommendations... go with the 20 deg. If you encounter colder than normal temps in your neck of the woods, proper layering will help extend your comfort range.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    A 20* set is the perfect place to start. From there you can always do a 40 or 0* quilts later to better adapt to or push the conditions
    You can even use the Jarbridge together to push the comfort level lower
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I agree with others and you probably won't go wrong with the 20° set; you can skip a hang or two if it's predicted to be below 20° or supplement with a pad or something.

On the other hand, my normal "I've never heard anyone say..." rule says maybe a 0° underquilt and a 20° topquilt is the right compromise. I use this rule when asking these kinds of "should I..." questions. For instance, "Should I bring that waterproof case for my matches?" I've never heard anyone say, "I wish these matches were wetter..." Do I bring the partial fuel canister or the full one? I've never heard anyone say, "Gee, I hope we run out of fuel while cooking dinner." So a full one it is.

When it's cool out I have never in my outdoor life heard anyone say, "I really wish I was colder last night, this being warm really stinks." But, I"ve never lived through a Georgia Summer either. In situations where I was "overquilted" for the temps I encountered, I've been able to basically throw off my entire topquilt and be warm through the night. This includes the one time I brought my 0° set and a front arrived sooner than expected and nighttime temps were 35° instead of 15°. I slept totally warm with my UQ snug and my topquilt folded down to my waist most of the night.

But I started my hanging in New Hampshire with a 20° set and find I use it for 8 out of 10 trips.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have a 20 degree set and later bought a 0 degree underquilt that I use when it is really cold. I am in Michigan. I use the 20 degree set 90% of the time.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast