Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Where there any issues with the UQs? Did you guys augment with anything other than the UQ/TQ to be toasty at those temps?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    Where there any issues with the UQs? Did you guys augment with anything other than the UQ/TQ to be toasty at those temps?
    I had my DIY underquilt with a layer of 5oz. Climashield. I augmented it with a small piece of 2.5oz. Climashield under my torso area, between the layers of my hammock.

Top quilt was my DIY winter down top quilt.

I was warm until about 6 a.m. when my toes started to get cold, so I put on my socks, extra hat and fleece vest.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    I don't have a winter underquilt so I had to take extra stuff to stay warm enough. I used my 3-season Yeti, a 30 degree synthetic bag stuffed in between the layers of the hammock and a couple of pieces of thermarest pad (one under the feet and one under my butt). I used my Old Rag Mtn top quilt. If I winter camp again in temps like that I think I'll invest in a good winter underquilt to simplify the setup and lighten the load in my pack.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    I used a thermarest pad and also had a weathershield. I regret not trying to go without my pad the first night. I used the Incubator UQ and had a Warbonnet TQ. I was toasty warm for the most part. Woke up to a few cold spots when my UQ shifted.

This was my first winter hammock camping experience and will definitely do it again

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looked like a lot of fun...bet it was peaceful out there....

Pizza, I keep looking at the photos of your tarp and I think I must be seeing things. It looks like a "door" flap tied back on the side, but the doors both look closed. Am I seeing things?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Looked like a lot of fun...bet it was peaceful out there....

Pizza, I keep looking at the photos of your tarp and I think I must be seeing things. It looks like a "door" flap tied back on the side, but the doors both look closed. Am I seeing things?
    It's a Warbonnet Superfly. The doors are detachable. They hook at the ridge and corner tie-outs. In the center of each of the four doors there is a flap with another attachment point with shock cord that extends halfway down the length of the tarp in the center and hooks to the shock cord from the door on the opposite end forming a tight seal. To close the doors all the way there is another piece of shock cord at the bottom of each door that you run across to the other side at the bottom tie-out. It's pretty slick. I really like the system. In one of the photos I have the doors attached but at one end I have the doors opened up and folded back for ease of getting in and out from under the tarp.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ahhhhhh....that makes sense, thanks. I didn't know how the doors attached on the Superfly, guess I didn't even think about it. Sounds like a nice system.

FWIW, I looked at my schedule to try to get up there for this trip, but had to work. Would have liked to meet you all, and to go through some of my old stomping grounds.

Thanks again, Pizza, and glad you all had a nice trip.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post

FWIW, I looked at my schedule to try to get up there for this trip, but had to work. Would have liked to meet you all, and to go through some of my old stomping grounds.
    There's always a next time man. I'd like to get to some other states as well in the future. Haven't really ventured much outside of MN for hiking/camping yet since I'm still fairly new to it and there are so many nice places to hang that are fairly close by within a couple hundred miles from home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12