Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sewing into the weight bearing hammock fabric along the edges is one thing but across the fabric? I’ve looked into many old HF posts - just Jeff - etc etc - from what I can gather talking also to A few others - if sew into the weight bearing hammock - it has in the past always failed in time...it may be new fabric such as Dobby 1.9 and of you are “light” person maybe would hold up.

If you are talking about sewing the UQ to another layer of hammock fabric that would suspend under your primary hammock then that could work (still would need to do shock cord or something akin to WB wooki...

Or you could sew only the sides and the ends use shock cord like traditional and integrate a sort of “clew” (has been discussed on HF’s before) to work that end - I think the sheltowee offering is kinda like that.

I think if you have an UQ already made - then it is likely better just to fix the suspension to work better

I love the wooki design...I’ve been wanting to work at making some DIY super cheap versions using cheapest heavy but very warm options along these lines we are discussing - just for fun and friends to borrow for car camping.

Also - sewing your lofted (non sewn through) underquilt to a hammock won’t be the same as the wooki or whisper and such as the inner layer is the hammock layer

If you try and take a finished lofted UQ and sew it to another fabric you can only (I think) sew the perimeter of the UQ to the hammock fabric - that would be tricky to get right - it would need to fit very tight to that fabric or you would have fairly large dead spots.

Good luck!

Keep in mind I’m a novice blabbering so take that with a grain of salt

Here is my recent attempt at swing it to a hammock - love it - pretty much a wooki copy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    I really like the idea of an integrated underquilt too. TheClark5 has made a few - here's a link to his post with instructions -
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ulated-Hammock
    Something like that would be pretty cheap and easy to make if you use climashield.
    Sewing an old sleeping bag would work if the sleeping bag was wide enough to sew it to the side edges of the hammock. Sewing it to the middle could lead to ripping as others have noted.
    It would probably work better just to open up the bag as much as possible and attach some shock cord to the 4 corners and suspend it like a normal underquilt. Easier if it's not a heavy bag. Also better with a rectangular bag and not a mummy bag.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Rather make a Wooki clone (see here and here). It has almost all the advantages of an integrated underquilt, but in addition it also has almost all the advantages of a normal underquilt. The biggest drawbacks of an integrated underquilt to me are:

• You can only use it with one hammock - and which self-respecting hanger only has one hammock?
    • Any time you want / need to wash the hammock, the underquilt has to be washed as well. That's acceptable if the insulation is synthetic, but down is a pita to dry.
    • You can supplement the insulation, but not reduce it. So you either have to keep insulation very light and supplement it for most of the year, or you need to have one integrated hammock for each season. Or you have to live with being too warm for some part of the year.

The Wooki design solves those problems. It's not really more difficult to fit it to hammocks with different lengths (see here) - not more than any normal underquilt. But although it's separate from the hammock, it behaves like a second layer: if adjusted correctly, there are no gaps. And apart from the warmth, you don't feel it. No pressure on the feet or the head. Nothing to push you more inline.

The only disadvantage really is that you can't switch directions, unless you make the insulated are cover the complete area. That's possible, but quite heavy.

Give it a try before you sew the bag onto the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer Hammock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi LokoLobo,
    My biggest concern would be stitching in the wrong places. To help explain what I am saying they perforate toilet paper and paper towels so they are easier to tear.
    Poking a bunch of holes in the load bearing sections of your hammock fabric might not be a good idea.
    The sleeping bag already has baffles so the attachment points would be on the edges where all the other seems are, not any in the load bearing area of my big butt.
    Living Minnesota! Great Land, lousy politics. But hey, my family is here so......

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LokoLobo View Post
    The sleeping bag already has baffles so the attachment points would be on the edges where all the other seems are, not any in the load bearing area of my big butt.
    If you sew the edges only - I think the quilt will slump down and not seal under you.

You would need to address this by adding a suspension to the corners much like an incubator...or you could make a “clew”

The sides alone will not provided needed lift and strectch to hold in position ... I think

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    it's absolutely possible and I have had no issues with down compressing or weakness in the integrity of the hammock. Granted this one was done with a Costco down throw but I don't see why you couldn't modify with a sleeping bag. Or you could just save your sleeping bag and buy a Costco throw. Actaully, I might even have a spare I can dig up for you.

Last edited by Jaxx; 11-28-2017 at 08:33.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    What about making a UQ sandwich?

Go ahead and sew on a UQP as well.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    it's absolutely possible and I have had no issues with down compressing or weakness in the integrity of the hammock. Granted this one was done with a Costco down throw but I don't see why you couldn't modify with a sleeping bag. Or you could just save your sleeping bag and buy a Costco throw. Actaully, I might even have a spare I can dig up for you.

That is cool! I’m very interested in that as a budget option

I note that joe used 2 layers - I think superior hammock now does the same - bonefire gear same too? That is the second layer is sewn on to the primary layer just like any double layer hammock? I was concerned about this as that may?? Put equal stress on the 1st and second layer?

There is almost no weight penalty hanging the second layer like a wooki so if I make a Costco or sleeping bag type like this I’m unsure if I will sew it onto the primary hammock layer or attach it analaglous to the wooki

My concern about the possibly added stress to the second layer that has been sewn on is that it would be damaged over time

Much depends I would think on the fabric used and the weight of the user and even at what hang angle they lay....forces could be quite significant depending on such factors?

Very cool Jaxx...I may get started on my sleeping bag version tonight. I also have a couple Costco blankets as well.

The weight of the Costco version is of course lower than perhaps some other cottage vendor versions cause it is not full length and uses far less down - hands less loft - is a “sewn through” quilt....that is a cool end result though!! You got me psyched - but thanks to Joe (grapenut?) for that inspiration!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This would work if you only have one hammock with one under quilt but for me and my 4 hammocks and 5 under quilts it would get expensive if I couldn't switch my UQ out as the temps change.
    I have to agree. I found that last summer it was too hot for any under quilt for much of the summer, and now I have a much lower temperature UQ and TQ. I have switched out three TQ’s this year. The massive flexibility of under quilts is what is so useful plus it makes cleaning the hammock easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12