Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2 oz HEX70
    Insulation
    SLD TrailWinder UQ

Add clews to Snugpak underquilt?

First post! Woo!

I'm a newbie and have been lurking for a bit. I have searched for the answer to this question but couldn't find it; feel free to point me in the right direction if I missed it. And I apologize if this is the wrong sub forum; feel free to flame me mercilessly if it is.

I have a Snugpak underquilt and I don't love the suspension. Has anyone added clews (like the Gemini underquilt) to a Snugpak? It seems they would need to be different lengths since the Snugpak is rounded so I'm hoping someone out there has done it and can provide some sage advice.

Side question - I think I've read that the Gemini is generally considered good down to ~50F and that the Snugpak is generally considered good into the lower 40s. If I were to construct a Gemini and I matched a few of the snaps from the "Castor" layer to the Snugpak, would it substantially increase warmth when layered together? I'm wondering if a Gemini/Snugpak UQ combo could ultimately provide a full three seasons of use by mixing and matching layers (down to maybe ~20F).

Thanks in advance!!

Images
    You can add a clew suspension to just about anything including snugpak blankets, fleece, old sleeping bags, or other underquilts. See here and here.

Underquilts do stack as long as the outer quilt does not require too much tension. You don't want it to squish the inner quilt.

I have a Gemini set. I have slept overnight down to a damp 35F and had no problems. Others have gone lower. Don't confuse the two blanket set with a single layer Costco blanket.

Best wishes on your project.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2 oz HEX70
    Insulation
    SLD TrailWinder UQ
    Thanks, leiavoia, for the response, the links, and the Gemini design!

After my initial post I thought maybe I should just do it and test it all out for myself, then post back with results rather than questions. I'm definitely going to try out the Gemini (and its various configurations) before modding the Snagpak - it may just meet my needs on its own.

Cheers!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Have many done the linelocs method of shock cord attachment? That seemed interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts