WBBB XLC DBL
    Tarp
    sil-poly superfly
    Insulation
    yukon kindle
    Suspension
    whoopies

Question about hang calculator and WBBB XLC

Been hanging for a few months now, getting comfortable with the process. Upgraded to a WBBB XLC and have had 6-7 nights in it-loving it so far. I got the calculator app and I was wondering, with the blackbird, which is designed to be hung higher on the foot, how do you guys use the hang calculator with it? I’ve noticed it tells you the same anchor height for both sides. If you wanted to use the app, would you just set it up with the numbers provided and then raise the foot end on the tree? Assuming you did this, you’d need to adjust the Whoopies because the angle would change, right? Was wondering if I’m missing something, or if it’s just sort of a HYOH situation where you sort of eyeball it with trial and error?

Joshua

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    For me it's this one - "it’s just sort of a HYOH situation where you sort of eyeball it with trial and error?"
    It seems you shouldn't need that app after 6-7 nights in the hammock though but then again maybe it makes setting up faster. I just hang, climb in, adjust, and repeat till I'm like the baby bear and it's just right.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    With the XLC I found it was more important to get my ridgeline loose over raising the footend higher on the post/tree. Additionally I was using a 19' span and I moved it to a 14.5' span.

IMG_2434.jpg

I did use the Hang Calculator to install my mount points....then adjusted my Whoopie slings until the ridgeline was where Brandon demonstrated.
    IMG_2430.jpgIMG_2432.jpgIMG_2445.jpg

Now I am going through the same exercise with the shorter 10.5' SLD Trail Lair...
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 11-30-2017 at 22:13.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DBL
    Tarp
    sil-poly superfly
    Insulation
    yukon kindle
    Suspension
    whoopies
    @trailslug:
    Yeah I think I’ve hung the WBBB enough to know how to get comfy, but I’m such a tinkerer that the app is really intriguing to me. I was in a doublenest and took it out on 10-12 overnighters and got to the point that I was able to set up in about 5 mins and be comfy (after putting in a structural ridgeline), but I’d like to try using the app to see how it’s suggestions compare to the way I’ve been doing it. I would probably just do measurements once or twice and then aim to repeat the results on subsequent outings as I just can’t see lugging a tape measure around as part of my permanent kit haha.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Joshua

I raise the suspension on the tree higher on the foot end than it is on the head end.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Warbonnet hammocks are designed to be hung with less than 30°. If you hang them as suggested by Brandon in his set-up video, you'll end up with a hang angle more like 25°. When I hang my BB, I don't even bother checking angles anymore. I hang it with the head end a bit lower, get in the hammock and check the tightness of the ridgeline. If it's loose, I shorten the suspension. If it's too tight, I lengthen the suspension. I know how tight the ridgeline needs to be for the hang angle to be perfect for me. If the inclination is still off, I just move one of the tree straps up or down. That only changes the inclination of the hammock but not the hang angle.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DBL
    Tarp
    sil-poly superfly
    Insulation
    yukon kindle
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Warbonnet hammocks are designed to be hung with less than 30°. If you hang them as suggested by Brandon in his set-up video, you'll end up with a hang angle more like 25°. When I hang my BB, I don't even bother checking angles anymore. I hang it with the head end a bit lower, get in the hammock and check the tightness of the ridgeline. If it's loose, I shorten the suspension. If it's too tight, I lengthen the suspension. I know how tight the ridgeline needs to be for the hang angle to be perfect for me. If the inclination is still off, I just move one of the tree straps up or down. That only changes the inclination of the hammock but not the hang angle.
    Awesome response—I didn’t realize the 25° thing, but just checked the angles on my suspension (been doing some living room hanging) and sure enough they’re 25° (and the lay is perfect). This forum is great and you guys are awesome—I’m really looking forward to HangCon.

Joshua

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    To add onto the previous comments, in the doc they send out with their hammocks, when making your adjustments, your foot end will only be higher, but it will be closer to the tree. So when adjusting, still shoot for 30 degrees on your head end, with your feet about 16” higher, and closer than the tree.

“The mountains are calling & I must go & I will work on while I can, studying incessantly.”
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Ridgerunner instructions mention the 25° angle, as different from the BB.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Images
    Angles mentioned in our directions are approximate, Hutzelbein is right though, to figure out the actual hang angle you like, get it set the way you like it and bend the RL and try to rememeber how tight/loose it feels for future setups...Then just loosen suspension to loosen the RL and vice versa. Sliding the head end up or down the tree mainly just adjusts the incline angle you lay on. If you feel like you are too inclined then lower the head end etc.

• + New Posts