Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thanks again. Maybe I will give it a try.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Snugpak under blanket

You make it sound feasible. I may give it a try.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=jblaser;1894687]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Or, you could make an UQ from a Snugpak Jungle Blanket like I did. Due to it's rectangular shape it would probably fit a bridge quite well I'd imagine. I haven't tested its lower limit yet but a regular Jungle Blanket that's not folded over and sewn has a rating of around 50° if I remember correctly, so folding it in half to make the UQ would probably lower that at least to 45° if guess. To lower it ever more you could sew in additional insulation like what's shown in step #2 of the DIY sewn PLUQ here : https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...ew-and-no-sew/ .

Chesapeake, thanks very much for the ideas. I am impressed with your mods and sewing skills. Unfortunately I don't have a machine nor the requisite sewing skills. For this year, I'll just keep using my pad for bottom insulation and hopefully be able to pickup a true under quilt specifically for the RR when I can. Thanks again!
    You're welcome. Although, I too have ZERO skills with a sewing machine and almost all of the sewing was done by hand. I just took my time ,put a lot of thread in and hoped for the best lol. The perimeter of the jungle blanket UQ was done by machine but I had my mother-in-law do it for me, I added the secondary suspension grosgrain tabs and end channels by hand though. I'm using it on my RR right now and it's super windy but so far it's doing GREAT. I also have another Jungle Blanket that this weekend I think I might turn into a summer TQ/ insulated TQ liner buy using kam snaps. That way I'll still have the blanket function, but will gain a dwr treated, antibacterial / antimicrobial, lightweight, summer TQ AND can also use it as an insulated liner to help push my 40° Burrow and 32° Snugpak TQ or Cocoon. I've always been a big Snugpak fan and have quite a bit of their gear now. I'm getting ready to do an insulation giveaway for my YouTube channel "Chesapeake Hammock and Outdoors " . It will be open to anyone that's new to hammocks OR doesn't have any/proper insulation OR is on a budget for buying gear. You won't have to subscribe or like or anything like that either. I haven't decided on what the prize will be yet, but to enter you'll most likely only need to be in one of the 3 categories above and i will randomly pick a winner. So if you're interested, check out my channel and keep an eye out for the announcement vid coming soon....Good luck!!!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Or, you could make an UQ from a Snugpak Jungle Blanket like I did. Due to it's rectangular shape it would probably fit a bridge quite well I'd imagine. I haven't tested its lower limit yet but a regular Jungle Blanket that's not folded over and sewn has a rating of around 50° if I remember correctly, so folding it in half to make the UQ would probably lower that at least to 45° if guess. To lower it ever more you could sew in additional insulation like what's shown in step #2 of the DIY sewn PLUQ here : https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...ew-and-no-sew/ .
    What do you think the likelyhood is that KAM snaps work for the foldover instead of sewing? Seems like that would leave some options open. Also, do you find the lengthwise shockcord necessary? I think some of the synthetic UQs like the Jarbidge only have it on the end to snug up.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    The snugpak is a little heavy, so if you use the snaps, you might need a heavier-duty snap or use more of them. I've use them on a lighter (down) UQ and it works just fine. I like the lengthwise cord, but if you snug it up enough from the ends it should work find. Check for air gaps as you lay in the hammock.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Metal snaps work great and will go through the multiple layers of material and insulation. I just made a TQ from the other Jungle Blanket I had and used metal snaps : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpTYCO4jSPw . With my JB UQ, at first I just had the standard, large loop of shock cord type primary suspension but added tabs on each corner for a secondary since it kept sliding down the primary and bunching up in the middle. Haven't used it with just the secondary suspension but if it were the right diameter shock cord, I imagine it would work just fine on its own. A "JrB style" suspension is what I would use if I were going to take the primary out and just use the corner loops for ease of use a la " set it and forget it" . Although that doesn't give you as much fine adjustment of each corner independently like the standard "HG style"secondary suspension with cord locks on each corner does. Oh, I also.just used the metal snaps( along with velcro) on my Snugpak TQ to shorten its length/ add a "draft baffle" at the head end and deepen/change the shape of its wide and shallow footbox. The TQ is considerably thicker than the JB and the metal snaps went through several layers with no problems. Although, I did use the kind of snaps that you use a hammer with the included supplies to install them without having to use special KAM snap pliers, so IDK if using the pliers would produce different results. Good luck, let us know how it goes and what method you use to construct it.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    I too have the Snugpak Under Blanket, but I mostly car camp or "hike in" camp...

The only time I was a bit chilly was when I first got it, and forgot to attach the two middle shock cords to something. Now I use the technique referenced in the picture that @oldpappy posted.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I bought a snugpack underblanket when I first got into hammock camping. For what it’s made for it does a very good job. It is heavy and bulky and kind of awkward to set up but at the end of the day if you get the settings right it will keep you warm. I still have it and will give it to people if they come camping with me and don’t bring insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12