Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Underquilt channels?

Noob alert!

I'm going to sew channels on a rectangular sleeping bag as a make-shift u/q. Whether using grosgrain or whatever, what do you do about the ends of the channels - double them, or what? Do you cauterize the edges some way?

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't have a heat knife yet so I just do both. I roll the end back sandwiching in a piece of grosgrain I sew down. Then I add a few more ( 1 or 2) little grosgrain tabs over the channel near the middle. Figure if for some reason the channel tears that worst case the grosgrain tabs can keep the shockcord in place just fine. Also as a backup. First quilt I sewed I made my seam allowances a bit tight for my skill level and I sewed my channel shut in two locations. I was able to salvage it by using the grosgrain tabs in lieu of the correct channels.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrog View Post
    I don't have a heat knife yet so I just do both. I roll the end back sandwiching in a piece of grosgrain I sew down. Then I add a few more ( 1 or 2) little grosgrain tabs over the channel near the middle. Figure if for some reason the channel tears that worst case the grosgrain tabs can keep the shockcord in place just fine. Also as a backup. First quilt I sewed I made my seam allowances a bit tight for my skill level and I sewed my channel shut in two locations. I was able to salvage it by using the grosgrain tabs in lieu of the correct channels.
    Are you saying that you did cauterize the edges? If so, how? Thanks.

Images
    As an alternative, you can skip the sewing and clew-ify it. I devised this method specifically to convert old sleeping bags, quilts, blankets, and whatever else needs to be reborn as an underquilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I often use a wood burning tool to cut/melt/cauterize material. When doing this with a down filled item you should consider shaking the down so it is away from the seam you want to seal. Then pin and sew it shut leaving 1/2 an inch or so that you can then cauterize using a wood burning tool run along a straight edge before you add a channel or otherwise finish it off. Just a suggestion of course.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    As an alternative, you can skip the sewing and clew-ify it. I devised this method specifically to convert old sleeping bags, quilts, blankets, and whatever else needs to be reborn as an underquilt.
    Nice idea. Certainly different. A few questions:

1. Do I understand correctly that you used the "symmetric" nettle configuration?

2. I guess the KAM thingies penetrate the bag (quilt)? So bag is sacrificed to the purpose?

3. For use with a sleeping bag, why not just make a lightweight hammock, using grosgrain tabs sewn (or KAMed) on, and using this suspension, and use it to lay the bag in under the primary hammock? Would that be practical? Then could use with different weight bags for different temps.

Thanks.

Images
    1. Do I understand correctly that you used the "symmetric" nettle configuration?
    That works fine in nearly all cases assuming your object is in fact a rectangle. In my quilt, i have the end nettles shortened a few inches for a perfect fit. You'll have to play with the length and number of nettles to go with your particular project.

I guess the KAM thingies penetrate the bag (quilt)? So bag is sacrificed to the purpose?
    They do puncture the fabric with a small hole maybe 1/16", but "sacrifice" is a pretty harsh term. You can pop snaps in near the edges with minimal effect on usage of the bag. You can probably continue to use it as a regular ol' sleeping bag with all the snaps and ribbons on it. I know i do that with costco blankets. When i'm not camping with it as an underquilt, it's a regular blanket on the couch.

For use with a sleeping bag, why not just make a lightweight hammock, using grosgrain tabs sewn (or KAMed) on, and using this suspension, and use it to lay the bag in under the primary hammock? Would that be practical? Then could use with different weight bags for different temps.
    Hmm... i think the bag would end up shimmeying around and defeats the purpose of the suspension. It would also compress the bag flat. If you tried to snap it onto an external sheet with the sleeping bag on the bottom, you end up with a giant gap; its a weird physics problem that is hard to describe.

If you're okay with sewing but not with snaps, you could alternatively sew an extra length of fabric on each end of the bag and install it as a hack-job Wooki clone. That's a pretty straight forward operation compared to every other suspension method.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Thanks for the info. Gives me something to think about. Not sure what you mean here, though: "install it as a hack-job Wooki clone".

Images

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I use a soldering iron with a narrow chisel tip to cut the grosgrain. It melts the cut and keeps it from fraying later on.
    A scrap wood cutting board will keep the melt from harming your work surface. Or use a pane of tempered glass or metal surface.
    You can also do the same with a lighter or candle flame. Cut the GG with scissors and then carefully seal the cut end over the flame.

Standard procedure is to melt the GG or webbing. If you don't it will unravel at the raw edge.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast