Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In the days of waterbeds-remember them? I developed a shoulder pain. The chiropractor could help for a few days and then pain returned. Finally turned up the heat in the bed and the pain was gone for good. Sounds like crank up the heat or move to a bed. Do what it takes for problem to get resolved and then maybe confine hanging to camping trips.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you're good at DIY, try to make a Wooki-clone and possibly a hammock from a 70D fabric. The Wooki clone will let you sleep in a much less curved position. The 70D fabric will also straighten out the lay. I get back pain whenever I try sleeping in a 40D single layer hammock.

If nothing helps, it's fairly easy to DIY a 90° hammock. The advantage is, that you can tailor it to your needs.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Also you can try a bridge hammock
    Or a hammock that puts you at 90 degrees to your tarp ridgeline--I forgot the names spelling, amok?
    If you could eat your way out of this--I'd suggest a really good Chinese buffet. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' dutch netless
    Tarp
    DIY 12' winter
    Insulation
    DIY down 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopie

possible shoulder impingement

well thanks for all the great advise. Right now the plan is to move to bed, address the problem with stretches and exercises for impingement, and stay out of hammock until outing come my way.

Hammock
    11' dutch netless
    Tarp
    DIY 12' winter
    Insulation
    DIY down 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopie

the gear I just got done making.

This is the issue. Just got done making all my own gear. Hours of sewing, cursing, stuffing, only to develope a shoulder issue. Tarp is only been done for 3 weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As a juggler I have had shoulder impengment. The stretch in this video at 1:36 is what really helps my shoulder and stop elbow tendinitus.
    Go easy but do it once daily and hopefully you will get some relief.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    That's why your shoulder hurts.
    Hunkered over the sewing machine..
    Nice work.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    You're in a 10' hammock. That would be the first change I'd suggest, go to at least 11', more if you're tall and if it'll fit in your location.

I also prefer a uq without primary suspension. I made a 3/4 CDT with clews suspension last winter and use it all the time, mainly to avoid the side pressures.

I would not suggest a ridge runner for those having shoulder issues. The RR is rather narrow and actually tends to squeeze and roll the shoulders forward. I had one, and I have locked shoulders, both of them. Still, it's better than a bed. I've been through PT a couple of times and done all the exercises for this to no avail.

In bed, or on the ground, my lower back hurts so bad I wind up spending the entire night shifting from one shoulder to the other. Apparently the shoulder pain is slightly more tolerable than the back pain. And yes I've tried all manner of cushions under the knees.

I found that an 11' GE with firm enough fabric was far better for me than the RR. It's taken me quite a few hammocks to find just the right fabric(s), but the effort was worth it. Even better yet (for my shoulders) has been the large bridges from Towns End (JustBill), even though I'm not a large person at all.

Finding the right fabric has been more difficult for me then probably most people, due to the combination of injuries and ailments. Too much stretch and both my lower back and shoulders suffer. Too little stretch is better for my shoulders but kills my back. Just like goldilocks, I had to find the one (or two) that is juuusst right. I've settled on robic hybrid 1.7 as my nightly GE and robic hybrid 1.2 for backpacking. Oddly enough, the 1.7 has proven to be too firm for me in a bridge, but the 1.2 is about perfect. The past 3 nights in the Towns End "Happy Medium" in 1.2 has been great.

My point here is not to promote one fabric over another or a particular hammock type, but rather to find the combo that works best for you. Also, I find that I'm better if I switch to different hammocks every so often, a week in 1.2, the next week or two in 1.7 and then a bridge. It doesn't hurt to shake things up once in a while. Works for me.

Good luck.

Hammock
    11' dutch netless
    Tarp
    DIY 12' winter
    Insulation
    DIY down 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopie

sqidmark,
    Could you send me a picture of what you are calling "CLEW" suspension? I am not familiar with this, but when you say you use this to avoid the suspension tightness, makes me very intrigued.

the brown hammock in the picture with the underquilt is an 11'. I do own a 10' which has an intragrated bug net but sleep in the 11 footer.

Hammock
    11' dutch netless
    Tarp
    DIY 12' winter
    Insulation
    DIY down 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopie

never mind. I just watched Jelly fish's video on how to make a clew suspension underquilt. very interesting. does this take the pressure off your shoulder due to no full length shock cord? and does it seal enough on length to keep out cold?

thanks to all that have given advise.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast