Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Now they make them in China so they used lead thread a webbing made from human wastes.
    Lead thread is great, but I worry about the weight penalty.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There are points to be made for destructive testing particularly when you are producing a commercial product. My question is... is the "strongest" _required_ for most DIY use. I've used both styles and never had either one fail except for discernible cause. (crappy thread or bad stitches) Not sure even the double box would survive those problems.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The X boxes were all I remember seeing on our parachute harnesses.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    My wife was the quality manager for Graco Children's products and they did destructive tests on different stitching of the webbing used on high chairs. The X with a box around it was the strongest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Backpackinglight.com also did some testing on webbing stitched to lightweight fabric, with the X box coming out the strongest.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I suspect bar tacks and the boxed X may be popular because they're easy and they look more uniform.

I'm operating under the assumption (without having performed my own tests) that longitudinal stitching is strongest (as described in this post). It seems logical to me (and I'm also inclined to trust the Nylon Highway people). I've also noticed that industrial slings often employ longitudinal stitching.

I'd like to know more about these conflicting tests if anyone can provide more detail.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    I suspect bar tacks and the boxed X may be popular because they're easy and they look more uniform.
    You're probably right. The destructive testing I referred to on backpackinglight.com addressed webbing connected to fabric , e.g., tarp tieouts. IIRC, box outperformed bar tack there, with failure occurring in the fabric. Probably not pertinent to webbing loops in general, though.

... longitudinal stitching is strongest (as described in this post).
    I missed that first time around-- good article; thanks for reposting it.

I guess the good news, for me at least, is that even the weakest method, with weaker thread, held 1000 lbs.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    The destructive testing I referred to on backpackinglight.com addressed webbing connected to fabric , e.g., tarp tieouts. [...] even the weakest method, with weaker thread, held 1000 lbs.
    Thanks for clarifiying, though I see you did write "webbing stitched to lightweight fabric" (didn't register on my first pass).

And thanks for the number; more?

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Thanks for clarifiying, though I see you did write "webbing stitched to lightweight fabric" (didn't register on my first pass).

And thanks for the number; more?
    That number was actually from the first chart on your reference... I'm sure the fabric / webbing interface couldn't withstand that kind of force. As I look back on the article, it was only a comparative test of box vs bar tack anyway. Your source looks much more worthwhile.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

I'm operating under the assumption (without having performed my own tests) that longitudinal stitching is strongest (as described in this post). It seems logical to me (and I'm also inclined to trust the Nylon Highway people). I've also noticed that industrial slings often employ longitudinal stitching.

I'd like to know more about these conflicting tests if anyone can provide more detail.
    Unfortunately, I can not provide detail becasue I heard this second hand. A local sling maker who makes everything from walmart style tiedown straps to XTRA heavy duty slings for the granite industry was telling some of my employees about his slings. What they took away from it was sometimes you want your stictching to stretch a little and sometimes you don't. I assume type of loading (static, shock, or the potential for shock loading) comes into play. Depending on application, the type of thread and type of stitch changes. Possibly why we see different stitches and conflicting studies.

Looking at the Nylon Hwy link, I think I know why the box X faired so poorly. We don't use nylon for straps because of STRETTCCHH. A stitch in line with the stretch will move with it. A stitch perpendicular to it will not. The box X is fighting the stretch of the strap in 4 of it's 6 stitches. Even the zig zag box has 2 of the zig zag fighting the stretch and it falls next lowest. In tubular nylon, when load is applied, does it try to get more "round" / the tube open up??? Some industrial slings have some stitches in red and cover stitches over over the tops of the red thread. When you overload the sling, the cover stitches break and reveal the red thread=send it off for repair. See pg 13 on the link.

I use a box X mostly, rarely with a line or double line of bar tacks.
    Last edited by nacra533; 02-08-2010 at 22:13.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great post! One thing Ive run into is sometimes if the stitch across the webbing doesnt go all the way to the edge, the whole thing tends to seperate when a load is placed on it. So, sometimes I handstitch the end of the stitch with a real heavy duty thread--like upholstery thread.---Just in case the machine sewn stitch starts to seperate.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Kinda of my way of thinking too ... so far it's not put me in the dirt

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast