Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member stevebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moreland Georgia
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    1,721

    speer straps for claytor?

    Has anyone changed out the stock claytor suspension with speer straps? If so, how long did you make the straps, and how did you secure the strap after you loop it through the hammock? (are they sewn together after going through the end of the hammock?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )


    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pickerington, Oh.
    Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    248
    I did swap out the stock for the WB cinch strap suspension. I removed the old strapping from the channel, took the strapping off the WB, threaded the Amsteel through the channel and put the cinch end through the loop of Amsteel.
    There is a "Downside" to swapping out the stock suspension though. The Amsteel being thinner, gathers the end tighter than the stock nylon webbing so the "Sweetspot" (The area that is flatter) gets narrower by a smaller amount. Two, the hammock doesn't fold as tightly as before because with the stock webbing, it easily makes into a rectangle for packing.

    Let us know your experience...
    Everett
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    hershey, PA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    51
    my stock straps got replaced by the straps and rings technique. i simply bought 2 12' ratchetstraps and cut the hooks off. i was left with 2 straps with loops already sewn into them. through these i clipped caribeeners and then attached to the hammock by SMC descending rings and some high grade string. you can see a picture of it sort of in my gallery

    i agree w/ everett that the sweetspot decreased, but this is a better alternative to water running down the straps and soaking me

  4. #4
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,999
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    my stock straps got replaced by the straps and rings technique. i simply bought 2 12' ratchetstraps and cut the hooks off. i was left with 2 straps with loops already sewn into them. through these i clipped caribeeners and then attached to the hammock by SMC descending rings and some high grade string. you can see a picture of it sort of in my gallery

    i agree w/ everett that the sweetspot decreased, but this is a better alternative to water running down the straps and soaking me
    I had not noticed the sweet spot deal, though I have wondered if anything tightening the end channel more than stock might effect comfort in some way actually noticeable. Of course, I might not have noticed anything because I used the stock Claytor webbing on the foot end, I only have a cinch buckle on the head end. I will have to pay more attention to this. I am fine with the stock webbing as I have had zero water issues after adding a couple of knots. Also, on one set up I have the stock webbing coming out of the channel a short distance, then a bowline on each side, with a single biner (would use a ring if I had one) clipped through the bowlines. Then the rest of the stock line is attache to the biner, around the tree and back to the biner. No water problems there, obviously.

    I have also wondered if hanging from a big fat tree (as opposed to say, a hammock stand or even a minimal diameter tree) would make any difference in the comfort? As an extreme example, picture the webbing coming out of the channel on each side. then each side is tied to two different trees several feet apart. ( or just around a really thick tree). This would at least minimize any "bunching" of the channel. I have wondered if it would feel any different. This is something I should have experimented with, but have not yet. Any opinions on this?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    hershey, PA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    51
    i'm 6' tall so i'm right at the edge of this hammock's comfort dimensions. maybe that makes a difference?


    as far as the webbing going out and around 2 other trees, it sounds like a modified bridge hammock and may be sweet. i'd like to see some pictures of your rig set up the way you describe it up top

  6. #6
    Senior Member stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I had not noticed the sweet spot deal, though I have wondered if anything tightening the end channel more than stock might effect comfort in some way actually noticeable. Of course, I might not have noticed anything because I used the stock Claytor webbing on the foot end, I only have a cinch buckle on the head end. I will have to pay more attention to this. I am fine with the stock webbing as I have had zero water issues after adding a couple of knots. Also, on one set up I have the stock webbing coming out of the channel a short distance, then a bowline on each side, with a single biner (would use a ring if I had one) clipped through the bowlines. Then the rest of the stock line is attache to the biner, around the tree and back to the biner. No water problems there, obviously.

    I have also wondered if hanging from a big fat tree (as opposed to say, a hammock stand or even a minimal diameter tree) would make any difference in the comfort? As an extreme example, picture the webbing coming out of the channel on each side. then each side is tied to two different trees several feet apart. ( or just around a really thick tree). This would at least minimize any "bunching" of the channel. I have wondered if it would feel any different. This is something I should have experimented with, but have not yet. Any opinions on this?
    I have whipped my claytor jungle and cheap double hammock with the warbonnet method. I noticed much less "bathtub" effect.
    Another benefit for me is being able to easily remove the larks headed suspension if it becomes wet.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,999
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    i'm 6' tall so i'm right at the edge of this hammock's comfort dimensions. maybe that makes a difference?


    as far as the webbing going out and around 2 other trees, it sounds like a modified bridge hammock and may be sweet. i'd like to see some pictures of your rig set up the way you describe it up top
    It might be sweet. But I've never tried it, only thought about it, so no pics so far. Most of my hanging with the Claytor No Net has been from a hammock stand. When I have been in the woods, I have not noticed if hanging from bigger (thicker, larger diameter) trees had made any difference. I usually find the smallest trees that look like they will support me. But this really is something I want to look into, both bigger trees or two different trees on one or both ends, to see if it makes any difference.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Similar Threads

  1. WITHDRAWN: 7' Whoopies, 6' Tree Straps, & 2 BD Neutrino Carabiners for Atlas or Python Straps
    By Eric Labanauskas in forum [TRADED] Items no longer available
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 18:12
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 07:14
  3. mod to end of speer straps "end loops"
    By stevebo in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 20:56
  4. my claytor ripped-great service by Tom Claytor
    By cshama in forum Claytor Hammocks
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 08:44
  5. Claytor Hammock with Speer Snugfit
    By Mule in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 22:32

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •