Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Vests are good and a jacket will be warmer for your footbox. The best thought is you can wear your vest while using the Montbell puffy jacket over your feet.
    I try to stay with only the items that would be in my pack.

One down jacket would be it....decided that the sleep gear items listed will always come with me.

I keep going back and forth on the quilt liner (18oz.).....switching to a CF Tarp will allow me to bring the liner.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    As far as items in your pack, do you have a hammock pillow? If not, the vest makes for a nice pillow when stuffed into it's pocket. I like duel use items and the vest could be used to supplement the jacket in cold during the day and a pillow in the hammock at night.

This is one of the things I like about the puffy jackets. Dual use for insulation on me then for my feet.

When using my partial UQ, a pillow makes for a warmer sleep so I don't need too much on my head since the UQ only comes to my shoulders. Now that I've made a CDT UQ, I've noticed that it's a full size UQ and it fits me from just past my head to just past my feet. The insulation 5" or so from the end isn't the best so a pillow on one side and the jacket on the other(no pad for feet) is perfect for me.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I use the Dutch Folding Sitpad for a pillow and insulation above the shoulder line.

I keep my clothes in a Zpacks Pillow Dry Bag that is lined with fleece for a pillow if I need it.

However I have not used it yet.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I hit my hammock low of 28 degrees last night with my 30 degree Carolina Reaper and 20 degree bag as a topquit. I went to bed with a down vest on, but took it off once my quilts warmed up and I started getting warm. I love my Reaper. Toasty all night. Squirmed around a little trying to get my vest off, but the quilt never moved.

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

I just aborted a test night at 6 degrees, -1 with wind chill. The 3/4 underquilt I have is a 10 degree HG Phoenix. The quilt kept me perfectly warm, a small foam pad in the footbox of my topquilt, and not a cold spot the entire two hours I was out there. Seriously, felt like being under the covers in my bed.

The only thing that sent me in is I did not want to deal with the calf ridge. If it weren't for that, I would have fallen asleep fast.

I was under a tarp with doors fully enclosed with a slight gap for air flow and was using an underquilt protector, too. This totally justifies the purchase of that COGS hammock, now. Can't wait for that to arrive.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I use a thicker and wider sit pad for the footbox. Thermawrest Trail Seat (greenie) 12x16 and around 5oz.

Shug says it helps eliminate calf ridge. I have not experienced CR while using it in the XLC.

I just came in around 6AM. I have been defeated a couple of times this week.

Once because it was too hot.....and another because of the 27° +wind & tarp configuration.

One of me my tarp doors (only 1 door was closed. the other 2 I left open intentionally) flew open in the middle of the night causing air leakage on the head end.

Last night however was a good night @ 35° with no wind and no tarp.

IMG_2974.jpg
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 12-27-2017 at 07:21.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithecanthropus View Post
    I just aborted a test night at 6 degrees, -1 with wind chill. The 3/4 underquilt I have is a 10 degree HG Phoenix. The quilt kept me perfectly warm, a small foam pad in the footbox of my topquilt, and not a cold spot the entire two hours I was out there. Seriously, felt like being under the covers in my bed.

The only thing that sent me in is I did not want to deal with the calf ridge. If it weren't for that, I would have fallen asleep fast.

I was under a tarp with doors fully enclosed with a slight gap for air flow and was using an underquilt protector, too. This totally justifies the purchase of that COGS hammock, now. Can't wait for that to arrive.
    Try some of these techniques below and try positioning your buttocks in different positions in the hammock.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I also hang my foot end 12" higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Try some of these techniques below and try positioning your buttocks in different positions in the hammock.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Thanks, Shug. I've watched all your videos multiple times and I've tried everything in your calf ridge video, except the larger hammock. I have a 9 and a half long hammock, upgrading to an 11 foot, so hopefully that can fix the problem. In the mean time, I am still impressed by my quilts providing warmth, I could probably go a bit lower, but not too much, but man I was just perfectly warm. With that tny footpad I use, the weight savings of a 3/4 quilt over a full length is well worth it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I always wear down booties in the hammock with just my top quilt, they are light to pack, ultra warm, and you never have to worry about your feet coming out of them like when using extra insulation in a foot box. With wool socks I've been comfortable to -20 DEG C.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast