DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'd hate to add up all the money I've spent over the past 6 years. That's a long time, but only started struggling the past two maybe. It's just weird. Of course some of that is likely from switching up gear and trying new things, but even the things that used to work 100% are iffy.

The worst part is failing after I thought I had it all figured out. After a cold night here or there, I was always able to fix the problem after an "AH HA!" moment and help others. Now it's back to me failing 50% of the time or more.

This "leg shelf" thing on the UQ has be thinking...doing more harm than good? If you get a nearly flat lay in the hammock, why make the UQ anything but flat?
    I understand where you're coming from. After 6 years in the hobby, I'm sure you've spent a ton of $$. Has your body type changed at all recently? That could play into things as well. To me, it sounds like the down under your butt is either less, or is being compressed moreso than the rest of the quilt. I would think that if you had a gap on one of the ends or sides, you would feel cold air across the entire section of where the gap begins, to where it is closed off. Perhaps the leg shelf on the Incubator is causing insufficient down in that area. Or your butt is actually resting on the leg shelf, and not the top portion of the quilt.

I don't say this as a knock to HG at all- as many people use and love their quilts (and I've purchased stuff from them as well), but it seems that they use less down in their quilts than most other vendors. You may just need a quilt with more down- to counter the excessive compression under your backside. I know LL and UGQ quilts are a little heavier; but it would be worth a couple extra ounces to ensure a comfortable night all the way through- if compression is the culprit.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I did recently post about being cold all the time (had a blood test and all that). At first glace, that would seem like the obvious problem. But even at 50°, I could feel the UQ "heating" up my entire body except for that one area around my butt. So I have to blame the hammock/UQ setup. My torso/butt were in the right spot of the UQ, legs on the shelf. I probably spent a hour checking this and taking videos from outside with me in the hammock to review. Sounds obsessive but I just couldn't make it work. The only thing I wish I did was crank on the secondary suspension even more. I still did it more than usual towards the end, but maybe it needed even MORE. Primary suspension was lifting the hammock up a foot, then 2' then up to my chest! I was trying everything.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I did recently post about being cold all the time (had a blood test and all that). At first glace, that would seem like the obvious problem. But even at 50°, I could feel the UQ "heating" up my entire body except for that one area around my butt.
    This is why I think the issue is related to the amount of down and/or compression. Your butt is where you put the most concentrated downward pressure on your hammock and quilt; so it makes sense that this would be a potential problem area- if you don't have enough insulation there, or it's being overly compressed. Have you tried migrating the down to that part of the quilt? If you notice your butt warming up, but the rest of you getting colder, then you know the amount of insulation is the issue- and not the setup. And that is a pretty easy remedy- albeit an additional purchase.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    This is why I think the issue is related to the amount of down and/or compression. Your butt is where you put the most concentrated downward pressure on your hammock and quilt; so it makes sense that this would be a potential problem area- if you don't have enough insulation there, or it's being overly compressed. Have you tried migrating the down to that part of the quilt? If you notice your butt warming up, but the rest of you getting colder, then you know the amount of insulation is the issue- and not the setup.
    I almost never migrate the down since I never had to. But this time I made sure by lying it flat and getting it nice and even, eventually putting a little more in that area. At one point I put my down jacket there in an attempt to fill any gap. I knew that was a long shot and I think it made things worse, but I expected that.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I almost never migrate the down since I never had to. But this time I made sure by lying it flat and getting it nice and even, eventually putting a little more in that area. At one point I put my down jacket there in an attempt to fill any gap. I knew that was a long shot and I think it made things worse, but I expected that.
    Did you try actually loosening the secondary suspension? If the primary was already tight, pulling the secondary suspension tight may cause the UQ to pull outward too much- causing excessive compression under load. My UQs tend to stay lofted better when the secondary suspension is just tight enough to get rid of the slack in the shock cord.

Sorry for all of the questions/suggestions. I just hope you are able to resolve the issue.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Did you try actually loosening the secondary suspension? If the primary was already tight, pulling the secondary suspension tight may cause the UQ to pull outward too much- causing excessive compression under load. My UQs tend to stay lofted better when the secondary suspension is just tight enough to get rid of the slack in the shock cord.

Sorry for all of the questions/suggestions. I just hope you are able to resolve the issue.
    No problem, all good questions. I typically do the same with the secondary, just enough to take up the slack (usually ends up being about 4-6" of line pulled thru on each end)

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    So, the only other insight I can offer is based off my experience with my LL quilts. I have a 20* Habanero- which is most comparable to the Incubator, and a 20* Carolina Reaper. My 70" Reaper has 18.5oz of fill (17.5oz for 900fp goose). A 70" Habanero has 14oz of fill (13oz for 900fp goose). Comparatively speaking, the short Incubator at 73" long has a fill of 11oz. I can definitely tell a difference in loft under my butt when I use the Reaper as opposed to my Habanero- which are both rated at 20*. The additional fill of the Reaper keeps it from compressing as much as the lower filled Habanero.

I don't know if HG uses some sort of trickery in their process; but I would think that 2-6.5oz less fill for a quilt that is 3" longer has to sleep cooler than a shorter quilt with more fill.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't know if HG uses some sort of trickery in their process; but I would think that 2-6.5oz less fill for a quilt that is 3" longer has to sleep cooler than a shorter quilt with more fill.
    That is a substantial difference. But in my earlier days before I seemed to have trouble, my 20° UQ was great...even down to 3° and 7°. Those were two separate trips but remember them well since I slept so well that far below the rating. Other than that, I've had many trips from 18-30° without issues. Usually I would throw money at the problem, but with 5-12week lead times across the board, my patience is keeping me in check Maybe I'll start from scratch in the spring. I dunno...I'm flaky like that.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    , but with 5-12week lead times across the board, my patience is keeping me in check Maybe I'll start from scratch in the spring. I dunno...I'm flaky like that.
    JRB always have stock...and they are on sale right now.

Mount Washington 4? Greylock 4?

Last edited by Vanhalo; 12-18-2017 at 15:24.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    JRB always have stock...and they are on sale right now.

Mount Washington 4?
    I glanced at that until I saw the massive suspension. Maybe it just looks that way. Not what I'm used to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast