BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by htom_servo View Post
    How does this webbing hold up to using the marlin spike to hang?
    In the testing I've done, it held up well. I've hung on this webbing using a becket hitch for dozens of nights/naps. It holds knots/hitches like that with no issues. I don't use whoopie slings, but I spent a few nights using a marlinspike with a carabiner as a toggle and it worked perfectly. The webbing may need to be flattened out a bit if you spend multiple nights in a row at the exact same spot. This is just because it is basically a half a millimeter thick. The webbing might require a swift tug, but it doesn't jam. Hope that helps! I can post a picture tomorrow of the webbing in a marlinspike set-up if you would like.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Also a quick heads up that we're planning to start shipping TOMORROW morning at 9 am. If you'd like to get in on the 20% off PRE-SALE, now is the time...

Venom UL webbing (25' section) - $24 (regularly $30)

Venom UL Tree Straps Pair - $30 (regularly $35)

image2 (15).jpg

image1 (64).jpg
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Diy 11' 1.6 hyperD
    Tarp
    Diy rsbtr hex12
    Suspension
    Whoopie and toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    In the testing I've done, it held up well. I've hung on this webbing using a becket hitch for dozens of nights/naps. It holds knots/hitches like that with no issues. I don't use whoopie slings, but I spent a few nights using a marlinspike with a carabiner as a toggle and it worked perfectly. The webbing may need to be flattened out a bit if you spend multiple nights in a row at the exact same spot. This is just because it is basically a half a millimeter thick. The webbing might require a swift tug, but it doesn't jam. Hope that helps! I can post a picture tomorrow of the webbing in a marlinspike set-up if you would like.
    thanks for the info, exactly what i needed to know before i put in my order.
    Just snuck it in on the preorder =)

Hammock
    DutchWare Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Under & Top
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Slipped Larkshead Info?

My favorite knot for suspension is the slipped larkshead. I tie it faster than the Becket, let me see if I can find the thread on it.
    Hey Intimidator, I'd be very interested in more info on this knot -- my google-fu is failing me since there are so many results involving the larks head in the hammock's continuous loops :P

Hammock
    DutchWare Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Under & Top
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    My favorite knot for suspension is the slipped larkshead. I tie it faster than the Becket, let me see if I can find the thread on it.
    Is this the thread you meant?

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by noxlady View Post
    Yes . There is a certain way to tie it that speeds it up even more. I will make a video on Monday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Received my order Saturday. This is some pretty nice stuff! I made 2 10+ foot straps and a 3 foot hugger (for protecting the tree when leashing the pup). Well under 2 ounces for both. I tested them out yesterday. Did one hammock end with the Beckett hitch and the other with the J-bend. Both tied easily, held well and released decently. The straps were a bit scrunched up where the hitches were, but straightened out easily when I rolled them up. They did not curl up around the tree, but did curl up through the beaner, which was not an issue; they did not curl up as much when passing just through the loops. I really like that they are black, instead of white. These make for a really lightweight and compact system. I have not tried them on any hardware, but they may work as long as you make sure they are not crooked or folded where they come through cinch buckles (test at your own risk) and perhaps do a slippery half hitch behind it. I think these would work very will with a marlin spike and whoopie slings also. I am very happy with the purchase.

Thumbs up

I also got my Venom webbing. I have been exclusively on the "standard" 1500# poly for my hammocking career which has served me well, but I wanted to try one of the new UL options and the pre-sale tempted me enough to order.

My first thought holding the envelope was that I had the wrong order - no way there could be straps in there! But there were, and my next thought was that there was no way there was 25' of strap in there! But there was.

It is so thin compared to 1500# poly webbing. I sewed (2) 8' straps using Mara 70 and a Microtex 14 needle utilizing (4) 1" boxes. I have tried various configurations, including bar tacks, but I have never had an issue or failure with (4) 1" box stitches. My backyard lab has two perfectly spaced trees which don't require UCR's or whoopies, so I use a Beckett hitch and these straps worked fine for that. They don't have as much "body" as a standard strap, so you do have to be a little more careful about avoiding twists and bunches. I agree with Intimidator and Country Roads that you'll get some bunching/scrunching at the knot, but it smooths back out when rolling up. I didn't try a MSH, but I have no doubt that will work just fine. Side note, I always roll my straps back up before stowing as it gives an opportunity for inspection, and it packs more compactly.

While my 1500# poly straps weren't anyway taking up a lot of space in my pack, these straps pack yet more compactly. Probably half the size, I'll have to take a picture for comparison. I was comparing the packed weights and could not bear to put these amazing straps in my HyperD 300 sap pouch, so I made a new 0.5osy CF pouch in RSBTR orange. My old 6' straps, 2 UCR's, and HyperD 300 pouch were 4.75 oz. My new 8' Venom straps, same 2 UCR's, and CF pouch are 2.625 oz, so just over 2 oz lighter with 4' more reach. 2oz is a good win in my book, and I still have enough webbing left for one more strap.

Let's see how the long-term wear works out, but so far I'm really happy with this webbing. I'll probably reserve it for backcountry trips and continue using my 1500# poly straps for frontcountry.

Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    That’s a sharp looking pouch Caminante, and a helpful write-up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Wow! Got my 1” Venom Ultralight Straps today. My hammock fun this week is to practice quick hanging knots between different trees. I would love to be skilled at hanging w/o hardwear and these cotton candy weight straps do inspire.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast