Page 16 of 182 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    It looks great!! The video is awesome too. You both really put together a product that is going to be liked for a long time. I probably need a lesson on ridge lines. How were you adjusting the ridge line in the video so easily and quickly.
    Last edited by hamik; 04-18-2018 at 21:41.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by hamik View Post
    It looks great!! The video is awesome too. You both really put together a product that is going to be liked for a long time. I probably need a lesson on ridge lines. How were you adjusting the ridge line in the video so easily and quickly.
    They will correct me (hopefully) if I'm wrong, but I think it was a whoopie sling adjustable ridgeline in the video.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    They will correct me (hopefully) if I'm wrong, but I think it was a whoopie sling adjustable ridgeline in the video.
    Nope but close: UCR. Stand ships with 3 UCRs. They use less line, and are slightly more elegant than WS in our opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hamik View Post
    UCR usage video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rqk...ew?usp=sharing
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    The tensa4 kit fits perfectly behind the seat of my Tsunami 120 kayak. Here are a couple pictures from a camping trip to the roanoke river platforms.

I used a vertical wood post as an anchor. Also tried using a stack of 8 pieces of firewood as an anchor but that didn't hold at all.

I'm still trying to dial it in and it's taking a bit of work trying to figure it out with my XLC hammock (wide vs narrow stance, long vs short ridgeline) where my feet and head aren't hitting the poles but still getting a decent sit height.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    I'm still trying to dial it in and it's taking a bit of work trying to figure it out with my XLC hammock (wide vs narrow stance, long vs short ridgeline) where my feet and head aren't hitting the poles but still getting a decent sit height.
    How tall are you, Mr. Squid? Suggest you try hanging a counterweight from head apex. This lets you set up with a less steep asymmetry, helping keep your head/shoulder off the pole, and minimizing difference between loaded and unloaded states. In the bottom photo, my first move would be to let out the stand's ridgeline, so the hammock's is more nearly parallel. Ideally both will have similar modest tension when you're in the hammock.

My advice isn't canonical: we're still all finding our way. I hang my hammock from the stand's ridgeline, so that's maybe a confounding factor.

PS: may i reproduce your photo of the fit in the kayak? Especially in the western US, many waterways lack suitable trees, while the loose soils on the banks don't play well with other portable hammock stands' strong ground anchoring requirements.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    How tall are you, Mr. Squid?
    I'm 5'7" but with shorty legs, so I think my ideal sit height is around 12". I'll have spend some more time adjusting things to see how one change affects the overall lay. Right now it's just all guesswork.

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders
    I have a question of weight/shear angles... when I was setting mine up for the first time (TINY apt in an assisted living facility) - I first anchored to the heavy oak coffee table we had moved out of the way, keeping the angle at about 65° but my whoping 120# body actually lifted the heavy table the moment I put my weight in the hammock... 2nd attempt, was attaching under a computer desk about 8ft into another room, with my keys on a beaner to keep it from slipping through, probably close to 30°, but the strain was noticeable - this worked for a couple of nights, but it seems that the weight/shear angle is actually opposite of hanging a hammock, where anything MORE that 30° of the top pole connection made the force of my weight pull like a mac truck, but the further out and lowering the angle seemed to work a lot better.

Just using that experience, it seems the less angled (from top connection to horizon) tie out produce the least shear on the anchor. Am I correct?Tensa4 in a tiny apt.jpg

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders
    Btw, a note on set up/take down while solo... just hanging a 5lb pack on the foot end makes a WORLD of difference! I was able in the mornings to fold the whole thing up and stand it in the corner of the room without anyone else even realizing I was awake - gotta love a silent 30 second storage option I really am impressed with the stand, looks really nice, is extremely stable when you are in it, and very adjustable to find your own sweet spot

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykeelk View Post
    Btw, a note on set up/take down while solo... just hanging a 5lb pack on the foot end makes a WORLD of difference!
    Pretty sure you mean the head end? Yes that's a big help.

Re angle of the guyline, while I'm not formally schooled in the mechanics such that I can reduce to a formula, I observe that the apex wants to move nearly straight up, so if the guyline is nearly straight down, that's a straight pull, no mechanical advantage. Whereas if the line is more nearly perpendicular to the apex vector, there will be more torque exerted on the anchor. But if we're talking penetrative ground anchors, shallow is still better since a stake or screw has much more holding power perpendicular to the line than inline.

For indoors, I try to find a hard high anchor point such as the pin of an upper door hinge, so the line is close to horizontal. This also has the benefit of the guyline being above head height, presenting no trip or entanglement hazard.

For fun, if you have a helper, have them tip the stand to neutral balance point while you're in the hammock. Then have your helper get in and you do the same. Helps build a visceral sense of the forces you need to counter in setting up with various ridgeline pitches.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 04-22-2018 at 21:05.
    --

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 182 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast