Hammock
    hh,warbonnet
    Tarp
    mac cat,diy
    Insulation
    JRB,ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie,dutch clip
    i sent 2 to 3 days a week in the swamp with my side kick at 12 years old.even at home we were always messin with somthin that could bite back.this comes back to the parents.are these kids savvy.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    After you get the permissions and do the planning, and before you start, do one thing--take a small journal and keep a diary. Boring while you do it, but years later, you will love it.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    have 4un be safe and make sure you document for us some video to put on youtube. Would like to see your trip report added to the trip report forums.

Hammock
    the cheapest thing I could find
    Tarp
    gi poncho
    Insulation
    mss
    Suspension
    braided cord
    there is one very important thing that no one has touched on yet. you need a third person. maybe its just the boy scout in me, but I would never go into the backcountry with a group smaller than three.

nobody knows what you are capable of better than you, and you should be mature enough to decide that you are. that being said you do need your parents permission. if once you have done the planning, and figured out all the detail, you think your up to the challenge. go for it, and have a great time.

personally though, I would stay closer to home, for the first trip or two. if nothing els this reduces complication on transportation.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    When I was in 8th grade, my parents gave me a plan ticket, travelers checks, and a phone card. I called once a week on Sundays.... from Europe. They had very little idea what I really did that summer. I gambled, saw things a boy that age should never see, and almost got raped by a pervert. I'd be careful. However, at 17 a buddy and I camped for a week in the Uinta Mountains and had a blast (2 hours from home). The mental attitude and preparation can make or break you, but it can also transform you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    i will be going in july, so snow is not as much of an issue. I have been hiking in Olympic National Park since I was 3 years old. i live in phoenix and go to Washington every summer. I have hiked quite a few of the trails that I propose to backpack through, just not deep in near Mount Olympus. I will not go on the glacier, I have skiied, have many friends who are mountaineers, like Wayne Wallace, and have read enough to not go on the blue glacier. I want to climb olympus, and have heard about mountaineering courses that go there, but they are sold out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    i have backpacked by myself in the presence of adults. they were around, but I had to rely on myself to do everything.
    Well, this new info changes the picture quite a bit. Still, Lori makes a lot of good points about liability with minors and other good points.

But it certainly sounds like you can handle it, assuming your parents are well informed of your plans and OK with it. Especially if your plan is to stay on well maintained trails, and know to STAY OFF THE GLACIER, as you said. But the risk also increases greatly off trail. Truthehcuss' idea about a 3rd man is a good one. If one person is hurt bad or sick, that leaves one to stay with the injured while one goes for help.

Keep in mind that, if it is a heavy snow year, snow/ice can remain in the high passes through July. Right now, the snow is "only" 60" deep at Hurricane Ridge ( about 5000 feet) and 104" on Mt.Baker at about the same elevation, but the year is early.
    http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisi...conditions.htm

To repeat, it is all up to your parents. But even more than that, hopefully your parents are well informed about what all of this entails, so that it will be an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    The best answer to that question can be answered by .............

your parents

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If you have to ask that question, then I don't think you've probably got the needed experience and knowledge to draw upon. I'm going to have to say it probably isn't a good idea. If one, better yet, both of you have some backcountry experience under your belts, then sure, you could do it.

In the end, it's your parents' call.

In all honesty I think that this thread should have ended with the two posts above.

but another question to be asked is... what about food

What kinds of food are you taking for a week?

Once you aquire the correct permission from you parents, be sure to pack enough food and water for 9 days. that gives you each two extra days of food.

Make it tasty whil you are out there,,,

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by soysos View Post
    there is one very important thing that no one has touched on yet. you need a third person. maybe its just the boy scout in me, but I would never go into the backcountry with a group smaller than three.

nobody knows what you are capable of better than you, and you should be mature enough to decide that you are. that being said you do need your parents permission. if once you have done the planning, and figured out all the detail, you think your up to the challenge. go for it, and have a great time.

personally though, I would stay closer to home, for the first trip or two. if nothing els this reduces complication on transportation.
    I go into the back country for long period by myself every year. nothing happens, then again, im not 16 im 24.

Hammock
    the cheapest thing I could find
    Tarp
    gi poncho
    Insulation
    mss
    Suspension
    braided cord
    it doesn't matter how old you are, or how much experience you have. hicking alone is a huge gamble.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soysos View Post
    it doesn't matter how old you are, or how much experience you have. hicking alone is a huge gamble.
    This has been discussed at length on the forums before. As you are just recently joined you my have missed the discussion. While you have a point, many of us, including myself, enjoy go out alone for any number of reasons. Lack of a hiking partner, preference for solitude, are just two among many.

There are risks in hiking alone, but there are also risks in hiking in pairs, triplets and groups. Lots of folks have died in the wild because they figured there was safety in numbers so they let their guard down and did something really stupid. The point is, the risks need to be recognized and plans put into place. But lots of people do it every year and get away with it. Age and experience do play a part.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast