Suspension
    S and D
    I have not used a UCR, ever
    I do guess---a lot---and read others posts to learn from their experience

Make sure bury is long enough--and maybe an inch or so longer
    Milk bury
    Prusik close to end of bury
    Tighten prusik
    Consider an extra wrap on prusik--prusik not only helps keep bury sheath taut--it also helps UCR total grip
    Consider using 1/8 on inner bury this will increase bury grip---and possibly weaken the 7/64 that is the outer bury sheath. Plus plus on increasing UCR grip and only worry about weakening if the 7/64 busts with you or someone else.
    And lastly where inner bury exits outer bury---tie a slip knot on inner bury---just like the slip knot I use in my Carolina Red video
    If you do all these guesses then I reckon your UCR will not slip.
    As some have said--if they gotta tie any knots--it's no deal

Good luck to you and I leave all solutions to y'all pros who have knowledge and experience with UCR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Welcome to the failed UCR debate.

I too tried the UCR way and even increased the bury to double the length AND the tension knot(not a prussic but the same family of knots)

Nothing but a sliw sinking feeling-thats why i started my "device" journey.

Whoopies never failed me because BOTH sides of the line are under tension automatically engaging the restrictor side.

I still have one hammock set up with whoopies but my main hammock is setup with a simpke line and friction device

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    I switched to Dynaglide UCRs a few months ago and haven't had a single issue. I used this method of using a prusik on the tail of the UCR and I just can't see any possible way it would slip. Now I did use a 12" bury but that's because Dynaglide is so small and needs it.

FWIW, my pair of DG UCRs with Whoopie Hooks and 5' Myerstech dyneema huggers comes out to a whopping 1.8oz . I'm thrilled with that.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    I switched to Dynaglide UCRs a few months ago and haven't had a single issue. I used this method of using a prusik on the tail of the UCR and I just can't see any possible way it would slip. Now I did use a 12" bury but that's because Dynaglide is so small and needs it.

FWIW, my pair of DG UCRs with Whoopie Hooks and 5' Myerstech dyneema huggers comes out to a whopping 1.8oz . I'm thrilled with that.
    Nice! Mine is 4.1 oz...

2 5' huggers from cut down Harbor Freight straps
    7/64 Whoopies
    2 Evo CLs (idea from Myers) to attach whoopies to huggers.

Not including the button knot Evo loops that are on my hammock, used to attach my WS.

That's why I wanted the UCRs to work, so I could just LH them to the huggers and forget that part. Shaved a couple ounces over my previous setup tho, so there's that at least. Maybe I'll tackle the UCRs again in a week or two. Too busy packing for a trip now =)

Images
    I've been happily using UCR's solely for about the last 7 years or so. I love them. There isn't a suspension system that it quicker, simpler, and easier to adjust I believe.

One thing, the prusik isn't an option, it's mandatory. You have to keep tension on the entire constrictor, there's no way around that without making a super long constrictor.

Don't tie the prusik, splice it. I've tried simply tying a prusik and other similiar hitches, but with the amsteel, they knots always come loose and your always going to be tightening them. Splicing them, there's never an issue, never a need to adjust the prusik.
    When your making them, the short constrictor piece, you'll need to splice a fixed eye at the end first. Then wrap the prusik around the long bury line before you splice the constrictor part.

Dynaglide is nice, but it doesn't last long. I get less than a year out of a set before the line gets all out of whack. I usually get about 3 years out of a set of 7/64 amsteel before the constrictor part becomes stiff and difficult to adjust. I really could just replace the short piece but after that much use why not make a whole new set. I do get out quite often.

Some people claim to get away with a short bury, but with the 7/64 amsteel, I need something like a 15" finished bury otherwise depending on the weather shorter one's always slipped a little over night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

UCR FAIL

Also in addition to fat rope inside skinny rope ( 1/8 inside 7/64 )
    The fat rope NOT amsteel, rather a real grainy double braid--maybe polyester outside of an amsteel braided core.

Now your talking Grapplers gripping power.

And if you tie a slip knot in fat rope an inch from bury exit it will be impossible to pull that fat slip knot into the bury

GarnaYOUteed Not 2 slip

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Totally unnecessary, follow fallkniven's instructions and they work fine. I'm still hanging on the first set I made right after the thread was posted. All the UCR's I've made have been with the same cordage throughout. If they're slipping it's not because of same size line.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Totally unnecessary, follow fallkniven's instructions and they work fine. I'm still hanging on the first set I made right after the thread was posted. All the UCR's I've made have been with the same cordage throughout. If they're slipping it's not because of same size line.
    Hammock campers follow the lead of goobie and experienced pros---they know what they are talking about.
    If you follow my previous posted suggestions--you are in uncharted territory and innovating for fun with hopes of success.
    Innovation overall--has a high failure rate
    For every thousand hairbrained ideas probably 999 are no go
    Good luck brave souls with UCR

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR w/Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I've thought about that, but I only had 7/64 to work with. Maybe some time I'll order some 1/8 for the inside line and give it a go. For now I'm sticking with what I know- whoopies lol.
    I had very poor results with putting 1/8 inside of 7/64. I tried it because occasionally my regular 7/64 ucr would drop down an inch or so in the middle of the night (i tend to toss and turn) sometimes. With the larger diameter, i couldn't get it to bite at all. As soon as I sat in the hammock, it turned into a ground cloth. If you do get around to trying it I'd be interested to hear your results though! HYOH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GunsTanksCannon View Post
    I had very poor results with putting 1/8 inside of 7/64. I tried it because occasionally my regular 7/64 ucr would drop down an inch or so in the middle of the night (i tend to toss and turn) sometimes. With the larger diameter, i couldn't get it to bite at all. As soon as I sat in the hammock, it turned into a ground cloth. If you do get around to trying it I'd be interested to hear your results though! HYOH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    That's interesting. Seemingly counter-intuitive, but a lot of things are haha. Thanks for sharing your experience tho. I'll probably try the standard build with a prussik or something similar first, since I still have some 7/64 laying around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast