Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    While the Badgers were getting whooped by the Boilermakers in BB tonight, I got lucky and dug up a Fronkey video of the 2012 Frozen Butt Hang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ADaVyXBUA

He visited several hammocks using a sock system and he was using a sock himself - of which he gave a brief, mixed review after the first night.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Who am I??? I could ask you the same question..... Me? I'm just a forum member with REAL WORLD experience using socks in temps from the mid twenties above zero to fifteen degrees BELOW zero. I don't have a position on socks, I KNOW how they work. My purpose in this thread is to present FACTS not my opinion so that those who come here for information get it. FACTS based on using them, not opinion.

On to The Frozen Butt, the source you say you base your opinion on. I let you in on a little secret about my first Frozen Butt. Want to know what quite a few hangers used for insulation?? From somebody that was actually there???................sleeping bags! That's right, your run of the mill garden variety sleeping bag. One or two underneath and one or two on top. I guess those "experienced hangers" didn't know they were doing it wrong! When's the last time you saw that in a trip report?!?

"Anyone with real sock experience" know they don't work??? Please share your experience so I can compare it to mine, and a few other hangers I've been in the woods with. I've already shared mine (as recent as last weekend to -10°), as has bkrgi. The FACT is, the colder it gets the better canvas works. How do I know this??? Reread my first paragraph....
    Right behind yah goobie

I have Canvas Hammock hot tent (untreated), Canvas anorak that is just fricken awesome the colder it gets....if anything it should freeze double stiff with only 2 layers of merino wool beneath it and my heat pumping at -20c....nope all moisture sweat etc is vented to atmosphere and it never gets frosted/frozen. Winter Mocs with canvas uppers deer skin lowers....again as temps drop the more I LOVE them as already said how they work amazingly. Cotton canvas draped over my Hammock, with temps now floating at the freeze mark...still zip moisture on it from me hanging under it.... no way in heck I can see canvas freezing into a stiff sheet unless sealed/waterproofed trapping moisture/heat, tarped with no airspace..same effect, exposed to snow and the snow melting due to rising temps or creating a insulation seal warming the cotton to melt said snow.
    No way I can see cotton canvas failing in cold weather unless improperly treated.....which I can certainly see happening, then the crying begins.
    Goobie certainly has figured out how it all works and its operating parameters.

I love the choice we have and I have no issue keeping the tool box full of tools to use and best adapt to conditions on hand
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    I kinda have to disagree a little here, I don't have the most experience with mukluk's but I do know the US military has used them for many years in extreme environments, they obviously work or they wouldn't use them. My understanding is that the colder the temps are the better they work.

I started this thread cause I was looking for different options and ideas for catching moisture coming from your breath.

This past weekend I took a piece of fleece and draped it over my ridgeline between me and the top cover tucking it in on my sides and it certainly helped to trap the moisture. I'm going to experiment with a couple different materials also.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have a fleece frost bib, but instead of hanging it I just drape it over my face. I would understand if you felt smothered by doing that, but I got used to it. Basically 100% guaranteed to catch all breath. I pinch it and form a little "tent" over my face so it's not touching my nose. When it's cold enough, it will even refreeze and keep a certain shape making it easier.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbcooper View Post

This past weekend I took a piece of fleece and draped it over my ridgeline between me and the top cover tucking it in on my sides and it certainly helped to trap the moisture. I'm going to experiment with a couple different materials also.
    Fleece and any fiberous type blanket will trap and hold the moisture and works really well as temps rise and the heavy fog rolls in....seriously helps keep moisture off your quilts then.
    In cold cotton canvas works better than fleece and a cheap place to start is using a 9x12' 100% canvas painters drop cloth. The fleece works better at trapping your breath the way oneclick points out or as Shug does to stop frosting of the quilts around your face
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Branch Camo Demo
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12 Int PM
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin 10* UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Web
    I know this might sound silly, but I just drape my shirt for the next day over my head, and had good results. Cotton T-Shirt that is...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345