MWG 11.5' Netted
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    MWG 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Dutchware wall anchor installation

I was thinking of purchasing a set of Dutch's wall anchors to use in the man cave. Unfortunately I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to installing them. What advice or instruction can y'all give so I can avoid some of the horror stories I have read of people ripping drywall and even wall studs out?

Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    I'm using very similar Adjustable Wall Anchors for dozens of indoor hangs at my home.

I pre-drilled and used medium carbon 3.5" #10 screws from Fastenal in one application and GRK R4 same dimension screws in another one. I made sure I was in the center of the wood stud. I believe I read one recommendation of using SPAX #10 3.5" Deck Screws. I'm around 225# and have seen/heard no issues even with one 15* hang angle 2 hour nap test. (oops)

If you make sure of your hang angle and use the right screws into properly constructed wood walls, you should be happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How would one find the weight rating on using the wall anchor using studs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I have been building houses for over 20 years, I also sleep nightly in a hammock that is installed in my living room walls. It really depends on how your house was constructed and what grade wood they use. if you hit a 2× 4 stud dead on Center and it's a sound good piece of wood without any large knots or sap lines, chances are it will support you. however if there is any problem with the stud or your off center there's a good chance you can rip a chunk of it out of the wall. I highly suggest you attach it as close to the ceiling as possible, this will give a lot of added support to the stud. my anchors are installed in my top plates which are much stronger than a typical 2 × 4 stud. With the anchor system Dutch sells at least there is multiple attachment points vertically along the stud this will help distribute some load. If by chance you have 2×6 studs you should be good to go without much worries as long as you hit them in the center. Just make sure you don't have metal studs or it's not an old 1× layered wall. Also if you can attach right next to a window or a door there is a stack of studs called the Trimer and king studs that are generally sandwich together with a good amount of nails and will add extra rigidity. Wall corners are also stronger because of multiple studs nail together. You should also pre-drill your holes with a drill bit considerably less in diameter than the Fastener you're going to use, to keep the wood from splitting when you put the Fastener in.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have to be careful for liability sake so I can't make many blanket reccomendations. I will say there is a lot of force on a hammock suspension so be very careful. I don't want anyone damaging their building or themselves. Here is a vid...
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_i...referrer=watch
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have to be careful for liability sake so I can't make many blanket reccomendations. I will say there is a lot of force on a hammock suspension so be very careful. I don't want anyone damaging their building or themselves. Here is a vid...
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_i...referrer=watch
    Link doesn’t seem to work for me.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My fault
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    I have been building houses for over 20 years, I also sleep nightly in a hammock that is installed in my living room walls. It really depends on how your house was constructed and what grade wood they use. if you hit a 2× 4 stud dead on Center and it's a sound good piece of wood without any large knots or sap lines, chances are it will support you. however if there is any problem with the stud or your off center there's a good chance you can rip a chunk of it out of the wall. I highly suggest you attach it as close to the ceiling as possible, this will give a lot of added support to the stud. my anchors are installed in my top plates which are much stronger than a typical 2 × 4 stud. With the anchor system Dutch sells at least there is multiple attachment points vertically along the stud this will help distribute some load. If by chance you have 2×6 studs you should be good to go without much worries as long as you hit them in the center. Just make sure you don't have metal studs or it's not an old 1× layered wall. Also if you can attach right next to a window or a door there is a stack of studs called the Trimer and king studs that are generally sandwich together with a good amount of nails and will add extra rigidity. Wall corners are also stronger because of multiple studs nail together. You should also pre-drill your holes with a drill bit considerably less in diameter than the Fastener you're going to use, to keep the wood from splitting when you put the Fastener in.
    Thanks for the advice. I have access to the attic on one side and was thinking of adding a 2x4 that runs from the floor to the ceiling on the stud that I am going to drill into. Or would it be better to go horizontal?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If you go horizontal, still hit the studs dead center by using a stud finder, then trim nails or small diameter pins to find the exact sides and center.

Attaching to multiple studs increases the strength and allows you to build a shelf so it hides the anchor point. Multifunction shelf is great and when you remove the hammock, it still looks like it belongs there. Or paint a picture of a bull there and use a ring for the anchor point as the ring of the bull.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMillar View Post
    I'm using very similar Adjustable Wall Anchors for dozens of indoor hangs at my home.

I pre-drilled and used medium carbon 3.5" #10 screws from Fastenal in one application and GRK R4 same dimension screws in another one. I made sure I was in the center of the wood stud. I believe I read one recommendation of using SPAX #10 3.5" Deck Screws. I'm around 225# and have seen/heard no issues even with one 15* hang angle 2 hour nap test. (oops)

If you make sure of your hang angle and use the right screws into properly constructed wood walls, you should be happy with it.

Hope this helps.
    What size drill bit did you use for the #10 screws?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast