Hammock
    OV Single
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie on toggle

UT > Cache County - Preston Valley/Beirdneau/Elmer - 9-11 Feb 2018 Snowshoe & Hang

Meet at the Green Canyon Parking lot at 6pm 09Feb2018. Use the parking lot with no pavilion that is about .6 miles past the first parking lot with a pavilion.

3.8 mile (2,238' ascent) hike/snowshoe to top of the Preston Valley Trail. Hang in the pine forest above the Wind Caves. Those who want a shorter hike can return via the Preston Valley Trail.

10Feb2018 - 2.6 mile (1,624' ascent) hike/snowshoe to Beirneau Peak, then 4.8 miles (1,585' ascent) to Mt. Elmer. Option: add 2 miles (round trip) to hit Mt. Jardine. Otherwise begin descent from Mt. Elmer down through Green Canyon. We'll hang anywhere between Elmer (as soon as we get below the tree line) and the upper Green Canyon parking lot (which not winter accessible). The upper lot is 5.2 miles (3,465' descent) from Mt. Elmer.

11Feb2018 - Return to Green Canyon parking lot, 3.7 miles (1,043' descent) from the upper parking lot.

Total mileage:
    11.2 miles ascending from cars to Mt. Elmer.
    8.9 miles descending from Mt. Elmer to cars (+2 miles if we got to Mt. Jardine).

Route subject to change depending on weather and avalanche forecasts, but at at minimum we'll go to the top of the Preston Valley trail, hang, and return the next day.

Here is a rout map with the Jardine option included (click on hills for elevation profile).

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/544248

Confirm whether you are coming so we know to watch for you.

Gear notes:
    - This is NOT a polk/sled friendly route, you'll need to backpack it.
    - This is NOT a cross-country ski friendly route, bring snowshoes and if you plan on going past the first camp site, bring crampons.
    - Bring trekking poles.
    - The first part of the route IS a good introduction to winter backpacking with substantial elevation gain, but if it is your first time I recommend you plan on going back via the Preston Valley trail the morning of the 10th, either first thing in the morning or after reaching Beirdneau. Don't do both nights if you're not in shape for it.
    - Be prepared to melt snow, there is no running water until the last few miles.
    - Check the forecast, adjust for altitude, and make sure your method of melting snow works for the foretasted temperatures and the presence of wind.
    - We'll be on top of a ridge for almost 8 miles, be prepared for wind.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Don't know how I missed this. It's a pleasant surprise to see another hanger in the valley. I think I'll join in at least the first section. I have access to XC skis but don't have snowshoes, but I can probably rent some.

Your first stage is pretty aggressive. It'll already be dark by 6 pm and the moon will be waning. Heavier winter gear and snowshoes make for slower going.

Hammock
    OV Single
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie on toggle
    I have an extra set of snow shoes you could borrow, do you have trekking poles (I have an extra pair of those too)? The first stage may need to be modified, especially with the late start. Thanks for the reminder to check the moon. There are plenty of options for hanging between the parking lot and the top of Preston Valley, and the route plan is a target, but as always, the final trek will depend on conditions. It may be more realistic to target the Preston Valley trailhead and then go to Beirdneau and back on Saturday. This would be similar to climbing Big Baldy in a day, which I did a couple years ago as my first foray into snowshoeing a Cache County peak in the winter.

Hammock
    OV Single
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie on toggle
    So winter forgot to happen here, it is unlikely that we'll need snowshoes until late the 2nd day if at all. The forecast looks sunny, lows in the high teens, highs in the high 40s, not much wind (though there could be on the ridge).

Hammock
    in search of one... doing my study
    Any future hangs post them again I'm new to all this so I'd like to get some exposure .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• + New Posts