DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images

To use or not to use CCF pads in between your double layered hammock...to supplement down UQ

This is an open ended question to solicit everyone's thoughts on what they use and how successful it has been for them when the mercury drops below freezing. I happen to own a double layered DH sparrow which has room in between the layers to place a thin foam layer in between for extra oomph in my bottom insulation. I also use a JRB MW 3 20* down UQ and a 40* DIY UQ made by Wanderlost. I have yet to experiment with this configuration in the backyard outdoor learning lab, but was wondering if any of your setups that have down UQs and DL hammocks also use the space between layers to place a piece of foam in between? My guess is that this would mean placing a vapor barrier that would cause sweating in the hammock. Any advice on this? Has this been covered before? if so, I apologize for the redundancy, but I just wanted to find out from the community if I should just use the UQ or supplement the warmth with a piece of CCF in between the hammock layers. Thanks for the input. The thickness of the CCF foam is .125".

Images
    It does work as an insulator, but it is also traps moisture. For me at least, it gets a bit soggy over night.

As an alternative, you might consider: inflatable pads (Thermarest, REI, Big Agnes, etc), or fleece or wool blankets.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I've used a CCF pad + UQ in frigid temps. It may seem counter-intuitive but venting is key here. Don't enclose yourself in because then moisture builds up and eventually, you start to get chilly. I did use an army poncho liner in between layers and that worked pretty well.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    11' DIY Double Layer 1.6 oz yd˛
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    20° 3/4 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Whoopie/marlinspik
    I have used the "double UQ method" and the only trouble I had was the UQs shifting. I had a 40° DIY full length closest to me, and a 3/4 20° Zepplin outside of that. I have done the "pad/Uq" combo with a cheap Wally-World Blue pad and the 3/4 zeppelin. I have never had a problem with moisture when using the Blue Pad, only when I use a reflctix (window shade) material. Every time I try and use blankets, wool or otherwise, they tend to bunch up within the layers. Admittedly, I haven't gone out in anything cooler that 15° (single digit windchill), but I rest comfortably with an insulated inflatable pad (Insulated Static V Lite Sleeping Pad) and the Zepplin. The best thing that I find that helps is that I try and keep my tarp low to keep the wind hitting me to hard.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    It does work as an insulator, but it is also traps moisture. For me at least, it gets a bit soggy over night.
    Same here and I prefer my quilts as they breath but hey get out there and try it. It may work well for you.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. I will report my findings as soon as we get another cold snap in southern Maryland.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I stopped using a CCF pad after waking up soaked to the gills... if it were cold out, that could have been a really bad experience..

Stack what you have if any one quilt isn't sufficiently warm.. just don't compress them.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Soooo...it seems like a poncho liner or other breathable fabric is the ticket. For the record, I intend on using the 2 UQ method, a 40* and a 20*. I was just seeing about an extra level of insulation for when it is crazy cold. As it stands, I believe the double quilt method using above quilts is good to -5 or -10 C. I probably wouldn't intentionally hang in anything colder than that but better to be prepared for the worst possible scenario.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Personally, and with the understanding folks perspiration systems differ, I think the sweating and pads issue is a bit overblown and given to much hyperbole. Think about it, ground dwelling folks have been using pads for many years and you don't hear all the grumbling about it. I have a DH Raven (as well as a Hammocktent Gamma UL (my go-to backpacking hammock) and a Exped Ergo. I am a full time hanger swapping between the Raven and Ergo and save my Gamma UL for summer back country use. The Raven is a single layer so the pad is on top versus in the pad pocket. Thus, I sleep on a pad indoors at 65*F without any problems. Plus, I would note the OP question is about augmenting a UQ with a pad indicates he will be using the pad when the temperatures are low.

I use inflatable pads (Synmat, Downmat, Xtherm MAX) all the time. I also own synthetic and down UQs. However my preference is for using a pad first for several reasons: flatter lay, no calf ridge possible, warmth, packs down light and compact, ability to go to ground, better side sleeping, much less fuss, no worries about a UQ getting wet, I like to hang my feet over the end which eliminates ankle together and makes my feet much more in love with each other, and lastly it would serve as a great flotation device in case of a plane crash or crossing the Yukon River.

For augmenting the system I do the opposite of what you suggest. I use the pad first and the UQ for temp extremes. The inflatable insulated pads work for most the hanging season and I can augment the pad with a 3/4 UQ if needed. I have also successfully used an Evolite CCF pad, and a CCF with a down UQ wrapped around and stuffed in the pad pocket.

Granted, I don't sweat like a pig, am not a phatty, and live in the arid Intermountain West. All important considerations. On the occasions that I do notice stickiness from perspiration from using a pad, I simply adjust my TQ (an open sleeping bad) so that I am laying on the bag and not the pad with the TQ open on the side and/or top to vent. In the Gamma UL and Ergo there is a layer of hammock between me and the pad. Therefore, I say give it a go and see how it works for you.

Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. All of your points make sense. I guess the insulation augmentation totally depends on the humidity, your BMI/metabolism, etc. I mostly camp in the humid east coast, and sleep on the warm side, so for me, I suppose a breathable 2 UQ method works best in the cold. I will just have to experiment some more to dial it in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast