Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for new hammock system

Hey all, I was hoping you all could share some hammock suggestions for me. I’m interested in a new light backpacking hammock, suspension and rain fly. The only wrinkle is that I have an eno bug net and if it won’t fit the new hammock, I’ll need a new bug net as well.

I don’t have any complaints about my old eno double nest except that I had the slap straps and eventually they stretched out. I ended up trading it to my friend for something non hammock related because my DH hardly ever uses his (prefers golfing to camping) and I got a new Farland hammock for in a secret Santa. So I have plenty of hammocks for day hangs and festivals and whatnot.

However, I read through this forum about all the awesome backpacking hammocks so I’m curious if there is better one for me out there...? And hopefully cheaper! Eno is pricey! Hence my reluctancy to get a hammock that won’t work with w the bug net making it a pricey loss, it’s pretty new. But, I’m open to learning about the better options regardless.

I’m a 5’3 female and I preferred the way the eno would close around me as opposed to the single. And, I’ll be honest I don’t know too much about suspension systems because as I said I’ve been using slap straps. But, I think I’m ready to up my game so whatever you guys can suggest I would love to start looking into and learning about.

Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RosieM; 01-12-2018 at 22:25.

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    First off can you sew and if not would you be interested in learning to sew? If so, that opens up a world of options in the form of DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post
    First off can you sew and if not would you be interested in learning to sew? If so, that opens up a world of options in the form of DIY.
    I can sew a little. I can make pillows and drawstring bags and that’s about it. I do not own a sewing machine though atm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I would suggest attending a hang in your area so you can see first hand what is available. AND read this forum a lot and watch SHUG YouTube. There is a lot of information and every part of the system has about 12 options. There are complete systems, but they are pricey. You can add one piece of your set up at a time, but you will have to do enough research to know what is really essential first.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    Dutchware has a great hammock and with Knotty Mods added, can close around you like a cozy hug even when lying the diagonal way. When ordering your hammock, if you order your suspension at the same time it comes at a great discount.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ne...layer-option-1
    I love my 10'5" hammock from Dutch. I chose the lightest weight fabric which was cheaper, and I don't feel as smothered with the 11' hammocks. (I'm also 5'3") When purchasing, I just asked if they could do 10'5" instead of 11', and they kindly obliged. I have used it for backpacking for 3 years, and love it.
    Dutch has great customer service, too. Going with a cottage industry, is great too, because if you need repairs or if there are malfunctions, send it back and they can help fix it at little or no cost.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    Personally I love my dutchware Chameleon and the fact you can get multiple coverings (full bug net, or full cover with only a partial bug net vent) there are lots of options and it is lighter than my Eno. Another good option that less expensive is one of his netless hammocks and because your smaller you could use the 1.0 fabric saving even more weight, I personally like the 1.6 because im a bigger guy and it's more durable. Your eno bug net may work with it too. Lots of options and good luck with your search. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Everyone has a different idea on what is "best". What fits one person perfectly can be uncomfortable for the next. I have various hammocks & tarps. For me, when camping, I use a Hennessy Explorer with a build in bug net and bottom entry. I have some lack of mobility and as I get old it gets worse so the bottom entry works well for me.

But, as I said, each of us are very different. The suggestion to attend a hang is a very good one. Everyone is happy to show off their gear and most will let you lay down to feel the comfort. Check the state specific sub forum to find any hangs near you.

Good luck and welcome to Hammock Forums
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Consider 11 foot length for your comfort
    And maybe a Dutch suspension---talk to them on phone to get a suspension that is light and easy to use.
    Good luck

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you like being enclosed in hammock
    You might want a wide hammock. Wide fabrics can be 6 feet wide and you can leave it at six or cut it down to maybe five foot six

Good luck

Suggestions for new hammock system

Thanks for all the feedback, lots of great advice here! I’ll look into your suggestions and it may be a while but I promise I’ll report back! Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast