Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    Very nice. Can you describe how you created your tieouts? Did you use a CRL underneath, or just the corner ties?

EDIT - apparently my version of your post didn't fully load. I can now see you second pic and info.
    I had a CRL under it. Even after hanging for months it showed no signs of wearing on the 4mil plastic.

I checked my notes. That's not gorilla tape, but it's Duck Brand duct tape. Those tie-outs lasted the entire time. The yellow loops are what I attached my guylines to.

I purchased a 25' X 10' roll if the plastic for about $10. The duct tape was about $7. The 10x10 tarp had about a 14' ridgeline that I actually decided was a little too long. I'd probably go 9X9 if I made another. Actually if you cut that roll into 3rds you'd end up with (3) roughly 8X10 tarps you could hang asym with almost a 13' ridgeline.

Warning ... the clear plastic affords you no privacy, and it's a not pleasant on a night with a bright moon if things like that trouble your sleep Luckily they make it in black as well. You also can't 'snug' it as tight as you can a fabric tarp. It had lots of wrinkles I never could get completely out.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I had a CRL under it. Even after hanging for months it showed no signs of wearing on the 4mil plastic.

I checked my notes. That's not gorilla tape, but it's Duck Brand duct tape. Those tie-outs lasted the entire time. The yellow loops are what I attached my guylines to.

I purchased a 25' X 10' roll if the plastic for about $10. The duct tape was about $7. The 10x10 tarp had about a 14' ridgeline that I actually decided was a little too long. I'd probably go 9X9 if I made another. Actually if you cut that roll into 3rds you'd end up with (3) roughly 8X10 tarps you could hang asym with almost a 13' ridgeline.

Warning ... the clear plastic affords you no privacy, and it's a not pleasant on a night with a bright moon if things like that trouble your sleep Luckily they make it in black as well. You also can't 'snug' it as tight as you can a fabric tarp. It had lots of wrinkles I never could get completely out.
    I actually picked up some black 4mil at Lowe’s for $1.38. I’m not sure why it was so much less than the exact same brand/style in “clear” that was $10.98.

I haven’t done anything with it yet, but soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    When I went through Colorado Outward Bound in '69 all we used was Visqueen plastic tarps for 26 days in the alpine country. Continued to do that for many years. Cheap and it teaches you that you can make do. Used rocks/cones/sticks with parachute cord to arrange a fly, aka tarp. in fact I still have one that I made several years ago and added grommets that peel and stick.

Just a thought. Whether you go with the Walmart Tarp or the 4 mil visqueen, you can add grommets anywhere you wish to have a tie out. The kit is about 5 bucks and comes with about 20 grommets. The grommets are made of lightweight aluminum and are extremely easy to install.

As I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread, you can make a low cost, super durable, cold or inclement, two door shelter, with the rectangular Walmart Tarp. Look at Derek Hansens Hammock Camping Book or peruse his website. Both of these resources show how to create this two door shelter. It is easy to do and works very, very well.

Have fun.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Ripstop by the Roll currently has seconds-quality Silpoly XL wide waterproof fabric discounted to $5.95 per linear yard.

One could simply order a continuous 17-yard run of tarp material and a yard of 300D pack cloth along with some 1/2" grosgrain, D-rings, and thread.

Five 6'x10' wide asym tarps could be DIY'd in a weekend at a total cost under $120.00 with free shipping and the HF member discount.

The tarps provide ample coverage at that size and are reversible for lay direction; they are packable and lightweight at about 9.5 ounces each.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Simple-quot-)

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Ripstop by the Roll ... with free shipping and the HF member discount.
    RTBTR gives a HF discount?? How did I not know this? And how do I get it next time I order??!!!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    RTBTR gives a HF discount?? How did I not know this? And how do I get it next time I order??!!!
    HFmember5%
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    HFmember5%
    Thankee!