Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images

Multi-Hammock Set-up

A few weeks ago a friend and I were experimenting with hanging multiple hammocks between two trees from the same structural ridgeline.

The trees were a hair past 30' apart from each other.
    We used 11 or 12mm climbing rope as the main line and used a tensioning system similar to what people use for slacklines. We had tied 4 lineman's knots ten feet apart with a two foot overlap (so the second knot was 8feet from the first, the third was 2' from the second and the last was 8' from the third, if that makes sense).

After the tension was appropriate we simply hung our hammocks from the main line and were good to go.

Surprisingly, the sag that came from the main line was easily compensated when adjusting the suspension between our hammocks and the main line.

It was a pretty comfortable night as far as our set-up was concerned. Now it getting down to 18 degrees and this being our first attempt at an overnight hang in the cold... that's a different story.

Has anybody else tried this or something similar?

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    That's an awesome idea! What are you guys doing for a tarp?
    A very clever way to do it indeed.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    I'm experimenting with a combination tube-tarp/bugnet that can be moved while you are laying in your hammock via a loop of utility rope. So far, it's only mediocre. It's heavy, it's bulky, and its not convenient to take down (but it's easy to adjust).

But it still wasn't long enough to cover the both of us, although it might have been if we overlapped the lineman's knots by another foot or two -- So he set up another tarp anyhow.

--Like i said, first attempt, haha. But failing is still a learning experience.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Hey! Thanks. I never have enough room under me for my dog's hammock. I've tried using unequal lengths on his support ropes, but this is better.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Hey! Thanks. I never have enough room under me for my dog's hammock. I've tried using unequal lengths on his support ropes, but this is better.[IMG][/IMG]
    Haha, that's pretty cool. Looks like your dog has no problem getting in and out of that on it's own.

And you're welcome (although i'm not sure what for ), what were you thinking of doing to fix your 'not enough room' problem?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    Haha, that's pretty cool. Looks like your dog has no problem getting in and out of that on it's own.

And you're welcome (although i'm not sure what for ), what were you thinking of doing to fix your 'not enough room' problem?
    I'll move his hammock to one end or the other. There's room under my feet or under my head. That way he won't bump into my butt when he gets up and turns around in the night. Using separate attachments to the ridgeline will let his hammock hang level. You have really been a big help.

David

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    and it shouldnt be much work at all (if any) to make everything level with that setup being as your and your dog will both be almost in the middle. It took a bit of adjustment when my friend and I did it being as we had his 190# offset to one side and my 140# on the other.

Tell me how it all works out after you've tried it! I'm curious , and good luck.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I meant to ask you - what happens when one of you gets up? Does the angle of the other hammock change? I expect it would, because I've noticed that if I hang my pack from the ridgeline at one end of the hammock it lowers that end. It'll be a while before I get an opportunity test with the dog hammock. Even with his insulated hammock my dog isn't comfortable below 40° F. He doesn't have much of a winter coat.

This has given me some ideas of other ways to use the ridgeline, too. I'll post an update with pictures when I have more data.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    My friend actually went inside (we were testing it at a friend's house who had the trees we were using) around 3am, I definitely felt him get out of his hammock, but I didn't consciously notice a drastic change in angle, although I'm sure there had to have been one. I was half asleep, so It would have had to have been fairly uncomfortable for me to wake up because of it.

If we try to set it up again, I'll try to take note of that.

I'm anxious to see what things you are able to come up with!

(PS -- I wish my dog would sleep in a hammock... hell, I wish my dog would be able to go camping to begin with.)

• + New Posts