Sweaty new hanger seeks infinite wisdom

I'm stepping out of the shadows and clearing my throat to address the masses here with a "hope" there is an easily answered my question-

I bought a hammock a month ago and tried it in the backyard and LOVED it. I realized I needed a better bag and wider pad. I bought a 20 degree mummy and a 24 X 80 CCF pad. Last night I haul it out, set it up and tucked myself in for a great night out.

The temps dropped to 25-27 or so and for the first 3-4 hours I slept great. However, around 3 my back and backside got cold and kept getting colder the longer I was hanging. I got up at 6 am and found that my back was damp and know that was the cause.

However, I never felt over hot to cause that degree of sweat. As a matter of fact, I felt warm and never got close to thinking I had too much on.

Here is the gear list and how it was applied and I would appreciate any comments and suggestions about eliminating the problem inexpensively and quickly.

On the top I wore a T-shirt with a fleece pull over
    On the bottom I had long johns and sweat pants.
    One pair of white crew socks

My bad as a 20 degree mummy
    I had a summer down mummy as a top cover
    Bottom insulation was the pad I mentioned above and I put a folded
    fleece blanket between the pad and my bag.

Ok-any suggestions?????

Thanks in advance.

I've LOVED listening and reading all your comments since I joined in December. I just wish there were a more active hanging community here is Utah!

Bryce

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sounds like you're a sweater. Welcome to my world. There are a few tricks to deal with ccf pads that do help, but won't eliminate the problem. A SPE (Segmented Pad Extender) from Speer Hammocks is the first thing that jumps to mind. The extra layer of fabric between your body and pad does help to wick away some of the moisture. Any double layered hammock will do the same.

In the end, you may just want to save pennies for a quality underquilt. I'm a very heavy sweater when on a pad, regardless of the quality. I've never had a sweat issue when using underquilts. Plus, IMO, they are worlds more comfortable. They will, however, put a big ole 'ding' in your wallet.

Welcome out of lurking and to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Ditto what Cannibal said.

The problem with a CCF pad is that it doesn't breath at all so any moisture that leaves your skin gets trapped between you and the pad. The same thing would happen on the ground but people tend to toss and turn when they sleep on the ground (it's uncomfortable down there!) so the moisture escapes.

Any wicking material between you and the pad that is exposed to the air will help. It will pull the moisture away from you and let it evaporate.

But as Cannibal said, the underquilt will be even better because it breathes.

Good luck!

I just purchased a decent used down bag for $40 that I'm going to modify for tonight and use it as an underquilt and see if that solves the problem. I'll still be able to use it as a good summer bag afterwards.

Even with moisture issues, hanging beats rolling around on rocks and roots all night!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Bryce, Gossamer Gear sells a 40" wide "foam" pad (1/4" for that width, I think. they have 1/8" but not sure if only for the 20" wide). This would fit nicely inside a double hammock.

My thanks to those who gave suggestions. My campout with the scouts was last week and I'm just now updating my hanging results.

The great idea for using the second hand down bag as a UQ failed. I didn't have time to test before leaving. So in snow up to my waste, it was time to "rethink" the process. I just used it as an additional top cover to my 20 degree bag and used the CCP on the bottom with a fleece blanket. I brought the "Plan B" insulation just incase the down bag didnt work. You know us scouts-Be Prepared!

The boys thought I was nuts to sleep in the hammock out there up in the mountains. It only got down to the mid 20's, so not bad at all.

So far I've slept 4 nights in a hammock and they've all been below freezing. I can't wait to try this out when it's warm!

Bryce

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I notice similar behaviour with CCF pads; condensation in my case. I don't sweat easily but my body has very little fat and radiates significant heat.

As others suggested: breathable insulation.

May you hang more comfortably henceforth.

• + New Posts