Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images

diy messed up, need opinions.

I remember being very careful to cut straight when I cut this at the fold. I may have overlooked trimming the other end square.

Or it walked when sewing and took up 3" of material. This is supposed to be a 10'x10' and it's actually 10'7" long. So should I cut the end off straight and hem it again, or pull the ridge line stitching and try to sew it again making sure there is no slippage between the two?

I would like to keep as much length as I can. Can you see the ripples at the hem? did that take up 3".

[AIMG]IMG_0028.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0030.jpgIMG_0031.jpgIMG_0032.jpg[/AIMG]

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    The third picture looks like maybe the thread is somewhat bunched up. What happens if you pull along the direction of the seam?

When I don't get the bottom bobbin threaded correctly or set the tension too tight (and I've done this several times more than once), it can bunch up the fabric. It also looks like there is a diagonal ridge in the second picture which would be the case if the seam got bunched up.

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    When in doubt, rip it out.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Soon to be DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    measure across from top corner to bottom corner and then the other bottom corner to top corner...the "square one" will measure the same (or really close)...the one you have on the bottom that is longer if it is flush on the other end that we can't see then I would guess it was not cut square...the measurement will tell the tale...it does not look to have 3" worth of material bunched up anywhere...

square.jpg

I would rip it out and start over. With that much bunching around the perimeter, it will be hard to get the center taught.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Over 11', you can absolutely have 3" of slippage. I'm not saying that's entirely the case here, could be a combination of both, but that hem does look quite puckered in places. If the machine has sewed fine elsewhere on this fabric, I suspect that tension is not the issue (but always worth verifying).

So I would rip it, as suggested, and then line up both pieces and check their length before sewing.

Sewing specific tips:
    • Experiment with a walking foot if you have one available to you.
    • Use pins every 4-6".
    • Lower your presser foot tension a lot.
    • Decrease your stitch length slightly.
    • Slow down your sewing speed.

Good luck!
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Thanks guy's. I'll rip it and do it right. I checked and the stitching was all the way up on 4. I will shorten them up. I did not use pins either but I certainly will now. Ripping that much sucks but I'll be much happier if it's done right.

My presser foot is totally loose. My first tarp I did 6" at a time. This one I was feeding a foot at a time. I should have known the stitching was too long. I think I was hurrying, it's my nature.

I think you all for the help. If it wasn't for you all I would have probably took the short cut and cut the end flush and restitched the hems shortening the tarp and resulting in a very awkward bunched up ridge line. I can't imagine what the next two rows of stitching would have looked like if I continued. Sometimes it's better to walk away for a few and ask for help. Very appreciated.

For what its worth, I tend to prefer a little heavy on the presser foot tension and longer stitch length on thin fabrics. It seems like short stitches create a perforation that may create a weaker seam. I also leave the pins in and sew over them, then pull 'em out, I have bent a needle or two doing this, but its rare.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by james_e84 View Post
    For what its worth, I tend to prefer a little heavy on the presser foot tension and longer stitch length on thin fabrics. It seems like short stitches create a perforation that may create a weaker seam. I also leave the pins in and sew over them, then pull 'em out, I have bent a needle or two doing this, but its rare.
    I used to use pins but I've switched to using clips so there isn't any additional holes in my material. Also, I find them easier to use.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I was taught in home ec class to sew over the pins. Pins in this first hem won't matter because it'll be in the center of the french felled hem in the end. Once the first row is in the other two are easy.

I have these clips I got 20 for a dollar at Real Deals dollar store. I bought 2 so I have 40 of them. I think my machine is too new and the teeth are still quite sharp. I had problems with more pressure on the foot when I made my first tarp. I'll pin it this time. Now I need to get some ambition to rip that 10' stitching...

IMG_0034.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast