Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

13 foot tarp

Any thoughts on a tarp with a 13 foot ridge line? Too long? Might it interfere with the angle of the dangle?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That's a long ridge line but what ever you like. For reference, I have a 12 ft SLD Winter Haven and it more than covers my longish Ridgerunner.

Have not had it in the woods but I believe the chill gorilla fortress is 13ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I'm peculiar.I like my tarp to be a foot longer than my hammock.A 12 foot tarp is about as long as I would want to deal with.The problem I have is getting the tarp down tight to the hammock without the straps being in the way.

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I'm peculiar.I like my tarp to be a foot longer than my hammock.A 12 foot tarp is about as long as I would want to deal with.The problem I have is getting the tarp down tight to the hammock without the straps being in the way.
    That’s what I’m worried about, tarp and hammock suspension meeting. But it’s only 12 inches more on each side than my 11 foot tarps. Never read about or met anyone with a 13 footer. Real world experience would be nice to hear about. I’m sure someone has tried it.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Well, I use a DD 4x4 meter tarp, which is 13.1234 feet each side plus really big loops. I thoroughly enjoy the extra large size over my 11' hammock. Just happened to be what I had when I started hammocking this past year.

This winter I have simply used a pair of 6x8 foot small tarps as DIY grizz beaks with bungee cords on both ends for a truly spacious fully enclosed winter tarp setup. Have used it down to -8*, and winds to 20mph and felt extremely well protected with loads of covered space for gear / chairs / changing winter clothes.

As a new hammock hanger, and not necessarily a gram counter backpacker (I prefer cool/cold camping) the size/weight is not an issue. I have the setup and takedown pretty much patterned. I do have to reach a bit higher for both the tarp and the hammock straps around the trees. But, I have long arms and stand almost 6' so again, this size tarp works well, for me and my type of camping. I use a 35' ridgeline to have the reach around larger trees using a continuous ridgeline with biners and adjustable friction hitch.

If / When I acquire a hot hammock tent in the future, it will be at least that large on the ridgeline.

My suggestion is "Try it out, see what works for you!".

Gregori

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That's why I like mini-doors: an 11' tarp with mini-doors probably equals a 12' maybe even a 13' tarp without doors, and there's no problem with hanging the tarp low.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I recently purchased a 13' xtra wide SLD Winter Haven Silpoly tarp for use when my wife and I are using our side by side hammock setup. I run a non "v" tarp ridgeline between the hammock suspension that eliminates the interference you speak of. I had Jared make up 3 pole mods for it so I have the option of 1 pole midway on the tarp or 2 poles, one on either end or all 3 poles that makes the tarp look like and a quonset hut. Its very roomy and private which pleases my wife.

A little more weight to pack for me but she thinks she's worth the effort!! I have to agree

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    If a 13ft length did interfere with suspension, then you could still do a 13ft ridgeline if you pitched the tarp higher and had the tarp width increased to still cover you adequately.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    ~

I have 12' hammocks and use a 13' Winter Haven tarp with Dutch Stingerz on both ends of the tarp - no issues with the hammock straps at all. The Stingerz create the "V" that avoids contact with the hammock suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast