WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Southeast Missouri Camping

Mods - if this is the incorrect forum, please move.

I am interested in getting ideas for a camping spot in Southeast Missouri. My daughter attends college in Columbia, and I live in Middle TN. I was hoping to meet her somewhere between Memphis and St. Louis for a weekend campout later this spring. I'm looking for more primitive camping than KOA with some scenery and level hiking trails. I'll be bringing my basset puppy, so level trails are better: steep inclines and declines are ... problematic. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Quote Originally Posted by historyteacher View Post
    Mods - if this is the incorrect forum, please move.

I am interested in getting ideas for a camping spot in Southeast Missouri. My daughter attends college in Columbia, and I live in Middle TN. I was hoping to meet her somewhere between Memphis and St. Louis for a weekend campout later this spring. I'm looking for more primitive camping than KOA with some scenery and level hiking trails. I'll be bringing my basset puppy, so level trails are better: steep inclines and declines are ... problematic. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Much closer to St Louis than Memphis but nice. Hawn State Park. St. Genevieve, Mo.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I would recommend you look at a place called Hawn State Park. Pet friendly, beautiful scenery and the chance to hike as little or as much as you'd like. There are several "primitive" sites available on a first come, first serve basis that have stone fire rings. You're not supposed to make fires in the park but it's okay in the established primitive sites. Water sources that you can filter are plentiful.

Next I would consider what is called the Taum Sauk section of the Ozark Trail. It's a easy to moderate 3 day/2 night point to point hike where you camp where ever you decide to.

If you want to be in an organized camp ground then consider the camp ground at Johnston Shut-ins. Another really nice campground with clean showers, a nice lodge with a resturant and ice cream is Montauk State Park. It's nice, still feels more primitive than a KOA but has all of the amenities. It's know for it's rainbow trout fishing but you don't have to fish to enjoy it. You can see the hatcheries and tour the old mill.

Google all of those and see what you think; they represent some of the best camping in this area. Of course, you should look at all of the state parks. You can backpack tent/hammock camp in nearly all of them and most, if not all of them have some nice trails.

I hope you have a great trip!

Gideon

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Also consider Trail of Tears State Park, Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Southeast Missouri Camping

my wife and I enjoyed Loggers Lake campground in the National Forest. It's a primitive campground that is well maintained and very pretty. Not sure about hiking in the area though. its also a little further west than Hawn or Trail of Tears.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I've hiked Trail of Tears State Park for 15 years. It's nice but doesn't compare to Hawn. You're allowed to camp anywhere off trail, however, I've had to explain to the "volunteers" at the visitors center that this is allowed. You're supposed to notify the visitors center when you're camping over night anywhere other than the actual campsite. It has some views out over the Mississippi river; abundant bald eagles along the river as well. However. Because of the steep hills along the river, even putting up a hammock can be a pain. My favorite spot is the extreme southeast corner of the park at the park's boundary. There's enough room for two to hang high up on this bluff. Great views except at the foot of the bluff there's train tracks so you will hear trains and you'll see barges moving up and down the river. It's actually kind of cool, especially at night. If you're close enough to go to Trail of Tears then you're only a little over an hour from Hawn and it's much much better in my opinion. If you do decide to go there, I'd be happy to mark a map with some of the best hang sites. The visitors center at Trail of Tears is quite small but it has a fascinating, albeit tragic history.

Another option that's on highway 32 headed toward Salem MO is Council Bluff Recreation area. It has reservable campsite but other than a basic tent type campsite there are only pit toilets. It's nice and if you drive down to the lake recreation area, there's actually a beach and a place that serves drinks and ice cream. You can rent a canoe or kayak there too. There's a very nice trail that goes around the entire lake. It's also connected to the Ozark Trail. You can read all about it on it's website.

Gideon

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all - I appreciate the help!

• + New Posts