TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders

Gear Storage and extreme weather

Over the years, the amount of different gear I have accumulated has gotten to the point my tiny house is getting over whelmed. I've come up with practical storage for the 8 different hammocks, cordage hooks, etc. But I now have a collection of both down and synthetic quilts that need to be properly cared for in an 800sq ft house with almost no storage spaces.

I have a nice large 10x20ft wood shed in the back where I could hang items using a cheapie hammocks as rafter gear lofts inside, but I'm in the desert - so temps out there range from below freezing in the winter to usually at least 140° in the shed during the summer. Would the TQ's & UQ's be safe out there? Or would it damage the insulation properties?

Or would I be better using a bunch of large plastic tubs stacked indoors that can keep the critters/sand out without compressing anything too much?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would keep it indoors. I've had certain fabrics get ruined, "crispy" for lack of a better word, when stored in my attic and shed. I don't know if you have stink bugs in your area, but they LOVE to get in between layers of any kind of fabric (camp chairs, tarps, blankets, etc) even in my shed.

The tubs sound like a good idea if you have the room. Stack them in a closet or corner somewhere.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykeelk View Post
    Over the years, the amount of different gear I have accumulated has gotten to the point my tiny house is getting over whelmed. I've come up with practical storage for the 8 different hammocks, cordage hooks, etc. But I now have a collection of both down and synthetic quilts that need to be properly cared for in an 800sq ft house with almost no storage spaces.

I have a nice large 10x20ft wood shed in the back where I could hang items using a cheapie hammocks as rafter gear lofts inside, but I'm in the desert - so temps out there range from below freezing in the winter to usually at least 140° in the shed during the summer. Would the TQ's & UQ's be safe out there? Or would it damage the insulation properties?

Or would I be better using a bunch of large plastic tubs stacked indoors that can keep the critters/sand out without compressing anything too much?
    I keep my quilts indoors in plastic tubs just the way you described. Doesn't compress them and makes storage less of a hassle/space eater. Storage space is an issue at my home as well.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I keep mine in the JRB storage bags they were shipped in.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Gear Storage and extreme weather

You can tell we are all addicts cause nobody even batted an eye to ask why you need 8 hammocks and multiple quilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Big plastic tubs here and they are stacked in the back of an extra bedroom. My wife doesn't care for this but I wouldn't want to risk storing these in a non temp controlled environment. They are simply too expensive to risk this. I have a buddy that has a very small home and he just recently rented a temp controlled storage unit 10x10 for $98 a month to store all of his gear in.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    You can tell we are all addicts cause nobody even batted an eye to ask why you need 8 hammocks and multiple quilts.
    Haha I know right? I didn't even think anything about it until I saw your post... we're a bunch of wackadoos lol!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies

Cool

Ceiling space in a room is rarely utilized. We tend to fill our floor square footage without utilizing the space close to the ceiling. I use a couple of cheap hammocks bought off of Amazon just for storage. (see link below)

Used 3 eye bolts set into ceiling in an L configuration, with hammocks hugging along the walls. This was previously just air space.
    Eye bolt in corner serves as an end anchor point for each of the hammocks.

Depending on the strength of your anchor points: you can add as much weight as your storage hammock is rated for. These in the link below claim 1000lbs., but will I will never test that limit. Chose them for width and length. They come with fairly good straps and beaners. Plenty good for gear storage.

Gear of all sorts gets thrown into hammocks, with under quilts hung loose below, and top quilts laid over gear. It is amazing how much gear can be stored in two hammocks. This has proven to be great out of the way storage. I hang them close enough to the ceiling that top quilts are just barely clearing the ceiling when everything has been loaded into the storage hammocks.

Two $25 hammocks and 3 eye hooks are an amazingly effective and rather cheap way to get gear into a space that was previously just dead air space. Gear room space seemed empty after moving stuff to the ceiling. Liked the gear hammocks enough that the grandkids talked me out of the first two.
    Worked for us, hopefully it would also help you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZ6D2YN...UK59J4H2&psc=1
    Last edited by boatstall; 01-26-2018 at 16:40.
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders

Cool

ROFL... yeah - but I have good a good reason for so having so much gear, as I am trying to slowly convert all of the other desert dwellers into loving both camping & hammocking, so I often have to provide everything for 8 people each trip to convince them to leave their A/C, since left to their own devices, they would just check into a hotel. Hammock city 2017.jpg

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykeelk View Post
    ROFL... yeah - but I have good a good reason for so having so much gear, as I am trying to slowly convert all of the other desert dwellers into loving both camping & hammocking, so I often have to provide everything for 8 people each trip to convince them to leave their A/C, since left to their own devices, they would just check into a hotel. Hammock city 2017.jpg
    That's cool! You are fighting the good fight.

I would really hesitate to store my gear outside in a shed. The temperature issues would be one thing, but I would be more concerned with all the outside bugs, animals, critters etc finding a nice cozy home in my gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast