Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL

TPU Thermoplastic Polyurethane -- CAn it be used for Tarps?

Hi, all.

I've only made a couple of hammocks before -- not very experienced -- but I stumbled upon a few websites about TPU: Thermoplastic Polyurethane. I was wondering whether anyone had ever experimented in making a tarp with this stuff -- I'm especially interested in discovering whether stitching can be done away with altogether when it is welded together with a sealing iron to make waterproof seams.

Would love to hear from you if you have used TPU.

I understand it is used to build rafts and other floating/air-tight things, but I'd like to hear about any pros and cons when it comes to making Tarps (although I might also consider a tough, heavy-duty version for making waterproof panniers for my motorcycle).

J

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Did you find a source for it? Is it available in different thicknesses? I think it'll end up just extremely heavy. Polycro sheeting has been used I think that is available to 1 mil thickness. I would be interested in the panniers as well. I used T-88 Glue to weld a vinyl billboard tarp together making an outside carport shelter for our horse. It held up beyond the vinyl's life span. Not sure if that works with the tpu.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    XJ35S,

I stumbled upon a website for DIY packrafts, https://www.diypackraft.com/shop/, and the How To video seemed pretty straightforward and easy - certainly easy enough for making waterproof panniers, anyway.
    The price per yard/meter is quite high. As I live in Indonesia, importing stuff from the States or Europe is always quite high, but I can often get free shipping from China. You can source just about anything from China... so long as you take the time to order samples first to check the quality!

Thanks for the info about gluing vinyl: it's good to hear that the seams held up so well -- that will be another option for me.

As I live In the tropics, with incredibly heavy rain at times, I thought this would be good for a tarp -- IF I can source some lighter fabric: It would be for a small-ish storm tarp that would be carried on a motorcycle (not for backpacking, so I don't need it to be lightweight).

Thanks
    J

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    That is an awesome link. Thank you. That ultralight pakraft is very affordable.

If you can deal with China, why not just go with a chill gorilla tarp or one of the other cheap tarps. Some are very robust and light weight.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    XJ35S,

Glad you liked it ... I think you've just found your pannier material supplier

As for me? I just like making stuff, so I'll still be searching for a cheap, local-ish supplier.

Happy sealing!

J

• + New Posts