Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

Looking for day-hike to view N.H.'s presidential range

I hope this hasn't been asked yet. I've recently decided to do an easier hike for my friend and me since we are not in hiking shape or any shape for that matter.

Can anyone advise of a nice 5-hour day hike with a nice view of mountains and lakes? It would be awesome if we can camp near the trail head since we are total rookies. 2018 Memorial day weekend is the only time that we/I can hike due to my job.

I have a two-week road-trip from Texas heading towards family in South Carolina then to Massachusetts for my buddy.

I'm hoping to camp one night along the central Maine coast for some scrumptious seafood followed by two nights near Mount Washington. If the weather is good, then a trip up the Mount Washington auto-road/cog-rail is mandatory before returning to Massachusetts; otherwise, Ben & Jerry's in Vermont will have to do.

My last resort would be to hike The Basin at Franconia Notch for old time's sake.

EDIT:
    Room for both Ridgerunner and newly acquired Blackbird XLC would be a big plus!

For reference, I've hiked nearly every Sunday for 3 years around New Hampshire; this was 20 years ago. I also currently-ish walk/jog unpaved trails in the Texas Hill Country. My buddy may not have any mountain trail experience, but I can talk him through most of the fundamentals.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 01-29-2018 at 00:15.

4th Iron Tent site on Rt 302, then a short drive up to the Willey Range where you have 5 mountains with great views to pick from or do them all!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AnthonyFerrantem/videos
    https://wordpress.com/view/trailslippah.wordpress.com

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Just do the Basin! Awesome hike, awesome [easy] campground.
    Burnt Meadow Mountain [just below Fryeburg] is another good'n'easy... no camping tho.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I began considering new trails instead of hitting up my old stomping grounds. East of Mount Katahdin is Roaring Brook Campground. I was thinking about a 7-mile loop by heading west on Chimney Pond Trail for 3 miles (passing Basin Ponds), then south up Dudley Trail for .75 miles (passing Chimney Pond), then east down Keep Ridge for the remaining 4.25 miles. Or, I can reverse this route to have more water crossings on the return trip. Dudley trail seems to be slightly advance though. We'd need to gauge our strength before tackling the trails.

I know the Basin hike is pretty easy, so I'll need to figure out a decent loop to tackle. Just hoping that he feels accomplished by taking in the beautiful view atop the peaks.

If I remember correctly, rain can come without warning. Hiking Red Hill (Moultonborough) to forage blueberries will probably be my final option!! I think having 4 options between Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hiking_herbivore View Post
    4th Iron Tent site on Rt 302, then a short drive up to the Willey Range where you have 5 mountains with great views to pick from or do them all!
    It'd be so nice to hit several mountains, but I only have 1 day for a day hike for two nights of relaxing and drinking. I'm concerned that the grade of these 5 mountains might be too difficult for my buddy. Do you think a round trip can be made within 4-6 hours for a bunch of newbies?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Just do the Basin! Awesome hike, awesome [easy] campground.
    Burnt Meadow Mountain [just below Fryeburg] is another good'n'easy... no camping tho.
    I haven't heard of Burnt Meadow Mountain, so I'll look further into it. The gradient looks easy enough, perhaps too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    I began considering new trails instead of hitting up my old stomping grounds. East of Mount Katahdin is Roaring Brook Campground. I was thinking about a 7-mile loop by heading west on Chimney Pond Trail for 3 miles (passing Basin Ponds), then south up Dudley Trail for .75 miles (passing Chimney Pond), then east down Keep Ridge for the remaining 4.25 miles. Or, I can reverse this route to have more water crossings on the return trip. Dudley trail seems to be slightly advance though. We'd need to gauge our strength before tackling the trails.

I know the Basin hike is pretty easy, so I'll need to figure out a decent loop to tackle. Just hoping that he feels accomplished by taking in the beautiful view atop the peaks.

If I remember correctly, rain can come without warning. Hiking Red Hill (Moultonborough) to forage blueberries will probably be my final option!! I think having 4 options between Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine would be a good idea.

It'd be so nice to hit several mountains, but I only have 1 day for a day hike for two nights of relaxing and drinking. I'm concerned that the grade of these 5 mountains might be too difficult for my buddy. Do you think a round trip can be made within 4-6 hours for a bunch of newbies?

I haven't heard of Burnt Meadow Mountain, so I'll look further into it. The gradient looks easy enough, perhaps too easy.
    They all range in difficulty. Willard is extremely easy and has great views, but its a out and back. Avalon has a half of mile steep section and has awesome views. Once you get to Avalon its a mile to Field which has some good views from a look out (wooded summit) Once at Field you can do a mile or so out and back to Willey also a wooded summit but has one of the best views from the lookout. Or if you want to skip Willey you can loop over to Tom (easy hike from Field) ok views. So you have many options and can play it by ear depending on how your friend does.

If you let me know when you'll be here I would be willing to meet you guys and hike and/or camp with ya! Im about an hour and half from there and always someplace in the whites on the weekends and some weekdays

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    If you let me know when you'll be here I would be willing to meet you guys and hike and/or camp with ya! Im about an hour and half from there and always someplace in the whites on the weekends and some weekdays
    That would be awesome. I hope to finalize plans within a couple of weeks, but expect changes by Memorial day.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Mount Crawford is my favorite hike in the notch. About 2 miles each way up Davis Path. Less crowded than other suggestions, especially for a holiday weekend. Amazing views to the southern Presis up the Dry River Valley. There is a camp site .5 mi into the hike or numerous car camping options immediately nearby (dry river campground, crawford notch campground).

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Mount Crawford is my favorite hike in the notch. About 2 miles each way up Davis Path. Less crowded than other suggestions, especially for a holiday weekend. Amazing views to the southern Presis up the Dry River Valley. There is a camp site .5 mi into the hike or numerous car camping options immediately nearby (dry river campground, crawford notch campground).
    Where is the campsite .5 mile in? Is it a stealth site? I plan on doing Isolation that way this summer

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Where is the campsite .5 mile in? Is it a stealth site? I plan on doing Isolation that way this summer
    It's literally a half mile in on Davis Path on the right. Marked by a USFS tent placard. Other sites on Davis available at Stairs and the old Resolution shelter site. Did a similar trip to Iso last summer via Rocky Branch South/Iso East/Davis Path/Stairs Col from Jericho Rd.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast