Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Best Sewing Machine for DIY

Hello, I'm going to give the DIY route a try and would like to pick up a sewing machine.

There seem to be quite a few to select from and so far I am just looking at Walmart alone.

What should I be looking for? Is there a goto machine most people would suggest or will any basic machine work?

Am I safe to just pick up a singer at around $100 - $150?

Thanks!

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post

What should I be looking for? Is there a goto machine most people would suggest or will any basic machine work?

Am I safe to just pick up a singer at around $100 - $150?

Thanks!

Brace yourself.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Even a cheaper unit will do the trick.

Most modern machines come with various stitches by default and will have a starting price poibt in the $70-$100.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Almost any machine will work on these light fabrics that we use in our DIY projects. The only time you might want or need a heavier machine is when you are working on thick straps for backpacks or tree straps. Generally speaking most people in this forum will suggest not spending a lot and look for used machines that will do the trick. Borrowing machines from a grandma or otherwise is a good way to get a hold of a great machine for basically free.

Buying something new is an option but what I ended up doing was browsing through craigslist. I found a lady selling the following machine for 75 dollars.
    https://www.amazon.com/Janome-2212-S...=janome+sewing

It was basically new since someone purchased it for a class and never even used it. It was also freshly serviced. I came away with the machine for $50 dollars after some easy negotiation. The machine can sew through thick straps and all the stuff I could possibly want for a DIY project. It doesn't fuss over tension like some other machines I have worked with. And best of all, all it took was about 30 minutes of browsing Craigslist.

My suggestion is not to invest a lot! Try to find a bargain by borrowing or purchasing something used. Some of the very old all metal machines are a huge bargain and perform their job better than most new machines! Keep your mind open.
    Last edited by Nedh84; 01-30-2018 at 18:04.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    I started out with a singer sewmate from Walmart and it was amazing. Never needed adjusting (tension) and gave me great stitches. It was only when I started making packs that I needed to upgrade and went commercial. Can’t recommend that machine enough.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I bought one of these about 2 years ago because it sews a little faster than most home machines. It has sewed a couple hundred hammocks, rain flys, Climashield quilts and tree straps. Never adjusted one thing. Easy controlls. Has a needle threader but I never use that. As has been mentioned, most any machine that is in good working order can do the job. But as you get more accustomed to sewing, you might appreciate the ability for faster sewing.

Screenshot_20180130-212644.jpg
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I would not buy a machine without motor speed control and a down-needle position.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    Almost all standard home sewing machines will be able to sew the materials that are commonly used for making tarps, hammocks, backpacks, etc. They can also usually deal with sewing a couple of layers of webbing without much fuss.

I think you only need to have a machine that can sew straight stitches (they ALL do that) and zig-zag stitches to begin with.

Many people swear by older machines that were built in the 1950's and 60's, other people like the extra functionality of new machines. Jellyfish Report (who post above) has a Hsqvana Viking (which has variable speed, needle up/down settings and more!) see her DIY videos on YouTube!!
    I have a Singer Heavy Duty which is 'supposed' to be able to deal with heavier projects... but I have my doubts about that claim.

Check which types of presser feet are available for the machine you are thinking of buying, e.g. Zipper foot, walking foot, rolled hem foot, etc. If very few are available (and if other brand's feet won't attach), you may wish to reconsider and buy a different machine which has more feet available.

Bottom line: almost any machine will do, and just like your first ever crappy car: you'll get to know and love YOUR machine

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    Oh yeah, One more thing...

Start with cheap material and small projects that you don't really care about. Your first few attempts will be about as successful as learning to drive for the first time.

TOP TIP: place a "swear jar" next to your machine and put a dollar in for every swear word you utter. By the end of the second or third project, you'll have more than enough to buy all the accessories you've been dreaming of.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBrewbus View Post
    TOP TIP: place a "swear jar" next to your machine and put a dollar in for every swear word you utter. By the end of the second or third project, you'll have more than enough to buy all the accessories you've been dreaming of.
    I don't have that kind of money. Half my paycheck would be in there.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast