Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light weight tarp recommendations?

For use with a WB Blackbird on backpacking trips. I'm needing something smaller to carry than my Hennesy Hex.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If you're serious about reducing the packed volume of your weather protection as well as the weight while still keeping dry, look no further than a wide asym tarp.

Dutch sells a ready-made Wide Asym Tarp (6'x11') with a variable-length ridge line, made out of his excellent Xenon Wide fabric.

I have made my own DIY Xenon Wide 6'x9' rectangle tarps that hang asym-style in either lay direction, and they are among my favorite tarps. They provide ample coverage, fit comfortably in a 7" long stuff sack just over 3" in diameter with room for lines and stakes, and typically weigh between 230 and 250 grams! HTH...

PS: If you want to go even smaller, IMHO Jared at Simply Light Designs (SLD) makes the best standard-width parallelogram asym tarp on the market! His Simplicity Asym works well with the WB XLC, the SLD Tril Lair, or the Dutchware Chameleon (esp. with the new symmetrical net/cover).

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-06-2018 at 20:47.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'd recommend the Wilderness Logics Tadpole Tarp. Mine weighs under a pound with stakes and lines. http://wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-Tad-Pole.htm

I'd pay extra for the side pull outs too. They really help to keep the tarp from smacking you when the wind gets to blowing hard.

Very helpful. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    I second Dlrom's recommendation for Wilderness Logics Tadpole. Definitely get the side pull-outs. I also got the pole option that keeps the pull-outs pulled-out. So much more room under the tarp with that combo!

You'll likely want to get snakeskins, too, to enable very easy deployment and take-down.

I have the door option for the Tadpole, too. So far, I haven't needed it as much, but I'm very glad to have it. I've also found that the doors can be easily used as a makeshift pack cover.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe packs more bulky or higher volume---cuben fiber tarps are light weight. And worth their cost to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    If you're serious about reducing the packed volume of your weather protection as well as the weight while still keeping dry, look no further than a wide asym tarp.

Dutch sells a ready-made Wide Asym Tarp (6'x11') with a variable-length ridge line, made out of his excellent Xenon Wide fabric.

I have made my own DIY Xenon Wide 6'x9' rectangle tarps that hang asym-style in either lay direction, and they are among my favorite tarps. They provide ample coverage, fit comfortably in a 7" long stuff sack just over 3" in diameter with room for lines and stakes, and typically weigh between 230 and 250 grams! HTH...

PS: If you want to go even smaller, IMHO Jared at Simply Light Designs (SLD) makes the best standard-width parallelogram asym tarp on the market! His Simplicity Asym works well with the WB XLC, the SLD Tril Lair, or the Dutchware Chameleon (esp. with the new symmetrical net/cover).

Much appreciated!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Images
    How much backpacking are you doing? If your hiking a lot cuben is the way to go. Yes it is lighter, but where it truly shines is it's waterproofness. It is just like a plastic bag, where it can't absorb any moisture. My sil tarp after a rain would turn into a heavy soaking wet sponge that I hated. My cuben one, give it a quick shake to knock off any surface moisture and your good to go. Also, no misting on your face through the fabric, and you can brush up against the inside of the tarp in the rain without getting all wet.
    Having said all that, it's expensive stuff and it might not last as many years as a nylon one will, so it's not for everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Try the Quest tarp from Hammockgear. Good combination of light weight, coverage and cost.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I second what Mr Hornblower said.Price,weight,coverage ratio of the Quest makes it a winner..........and it comes in different lenghts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast