Hennesy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennesy Standard
    Insulation
    Double Bubble
    Suspension
    Ropes/Tree Huggers

Poncho Liner Underquilt

Has anyone made them? I am about to make the no-sew version, but I just wanted to see the best way to make it before I went about making it. Thanks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    At one point several HF Member's made Poncho Linner UQs. I am sure if you do a search in the DIY Forum you will find lots of food for thought.

I successfully used a poncho and liner for my hammock when I first started hanging.

The Vietnamese Era Poncho Liners were amazingly warm.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Follow THIS LINK over to the Ultimate Hang.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Quote Originally Posted by NESurvival View Post
    Has anyone made them? I am about to make the no-sew version, but I just wanted to see the best way to make it before I went about making it. Thanks.
    I made one a couple of years ago using Kdawg's video and Derek Hansen's instructions as a guide. Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsWOelVXuoI

Just don't expect too much out of it. I was hoping for 40 degrees, but realistically more like 50 is as low as it's going to go. It was a good learning experience in that it taught me about primary and secondary suspensions, underquilt adjustments, sealing the gaps and in general how to hook up and use an underquilt. On the pro side, it's cheap and relatively quick to DIY one. On the con side, it's heavy and not particularly effective, though that may depend on the quality of the poncho liner. Not all are equal.

Since then I've had much more success using my poncho liner as a top quilt in warmer weather, or draping/shaping and using it as a pseudo pod in combination with underquilts and top quilts to push lower temperatures. So I'd say a poncho liner is useful to ADD insulation to other systems but not so much a viable solution by itself other than in late spring and summer.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I made one a couple of years ago using Kdawg's video and Derek Hansen's instructions as a guide. Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsWOelVXuoI

Just don't expect too much out of it. I was hoping for 40 degrees, but realistically more like 50 is as low as it's going to go. It was a good learning experience in that it taught me about primary and secondary suspensions, underquilt adjustments, sealing the gaps and in general how to hook up and use an underquilt. On the pro side, it's cheap and relatively quick to DIY one. On the con side, it's heavy and not particularly effective, though that may depend on the quality of the poncho liner. Not all are equal.

Since then I've had much more success using my poncho liner as a top quilt in warmer weather, or draping/shaping and using it as a pseudo pod in combination with underquilts and top quilts to push lower temperatures. So I'd say a poncho liner is useful to ADD insulation to other systems but not so much a viable solution by itself other than in late spring and summer.

Cheers.
    What he said. This is all accurate info. I'd use mine in summer in the backyard but I'd never take that thing backpacking.

• + New Posts