Hammock Vacation Ideas

I'm looking for some ideas/recommendations. My son was supposed to compete in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Worlds in LA in this December but ended up tearing his ACL. Long story short we had to cancel our flights, the airline gave us vouchers instead of a refund. He's pretty bummed out so I thought I'd surprise him by using the vouchers for a cool camping trip. He is getting his surgery pretty soon so he should be somewhat mobile by then but I'd still like a relatively easy place to hike. I'm looking at flying in to L.A, San Francisco, Phoenix or Vegas (fairly reasonable flights from here to those places). Places I've looked at are Sequoia, Yosemite, any other cool places that people can throw out there? Beach camping? Interesting hammock friendly places in Arizona?

Forgot to add, this will be end of June beginning of July if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance...

-Alan

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Vacation Ideas

Havasupai. You can't get permits on your own this time of year, but could pay an outfitter if money isn't an issue.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I took my daughter to Yosemite and we loved it. Not sure how the conditions would be at that time of the year. And I was in a tent back then - back in 5 BH (before hammock).
    Enjoy whatever you do.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Vegas may not have the tree's you'd need to hang. I used to live there for about a year when I was in 8th grade, so I dont have the "best" memory of the place, but I dont believe there's many trees around

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Sorry, meant to add that if you have a hammock stand, then it would be an issue

I love Havasupai, but the hike in is 10 miles of mostly-gentle downhill. I'd save that for healthier knees, unless you want to go in by helicopter or horseback. Or, you could send your gear down by horse, if the hiking seems doable.
    If you go- the very last campsite is quite beautiful!

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check out Havasupai, sounds interesting.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I'm taking my family to Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone in July. This will be a family reunion rather than a hammock vacation, but there will be some hammock camping done anyway (come hell or high water!) This is something I've been trying to do with my kids for almost 15 years and I'm quickly running out of time. Fortunately, my parents decided to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary out there where my father was born. Can't wait!!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have to agree that Havasupai is a great trip. This was my first ever major backpacking trip. Went back in 2001, carried 45 lbs, and slept in a tent. I have learned a great deal since then and would love to go back. Not sure I would describe the beginning of the trail (switchbacks) as easy on the knees though.

Probably the biggest issue during this time of year will be places being crazy busy...especially Yosemite.

• + New Posts