Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just opening this back up for anymore feedback. Think I may just order a 40 or 50 TQ to pair with 20 UQ

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Deep jungle zip w/ 2q2z zip mod
    Tarp
    Dyneema Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Here is my 2 cents... For what its worth.

I run a HG 20 Deg UQ, and a little costco down quilt... Works like a champ. The UQ wraps around me like a cocoon (Blocking the wind and cold... then trapping body heat inside). Had this configuration down to just below 35 deg. I also have a 30 deg rated OQ (JRB), but it feels like over kill to me. I suppose I might use it if I went in the snow....

KW

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolster24 View Post
    Just opening this back up for anymore feedback. Think I may just order a 40 or 50 TQ to pair with 20 UQ

I’ve been happy with that combo for our area / mountains. When I got the 40* TQ, I did my version of backyard testing up at Doughton Park and realized I could camp at 30* pretty comfortably. If you later want to winter camp, you can add some more gear if you like.

I guess my question is more for the warmer nights. I am all set for the cold. But with a 20 UQ/ 40-50 TQ will that still be to warm for say 60-70. I always hear anything below 70 at night you need an UQ. I would say the majority of the summer camping here in NC would be in the 55-75 at night range.

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    I turned one of the Costco quilts into a under quilt and just use a fleece blanket during the summer. I’m a hot sleeper so I don’t need much insulation and can usually go about 10-15 degrees colder than what my winter quilts are rated for.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

It will work great. Really easy to vent or move your uq. I use a 20 uq year round no problems. Ohio can be 70s during the day and 20s at night, weather range is huge. A good 20 UQ is like the swiss army knife of your insulation when you're covering a large range of temps.

OK still trying to decide what to do still. Going backpacking in a few weeks and night time Temps in the upper 60 lower 70. Does anyone use a bag liner as a TQ. Been looking at some of the sea to summit liners and I think it may be more versatile. I could pair with my 20 TQ in cold winter to add some warmth and use a stand alone summer TQ. Bag liner and 20 UQ would seem. To keep me warm enough down to 60? Keep clothes near by if it drop colder.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    For TQ, I use a Cacoon Coolmax Travel Blanket for warm weather. Amazon and REI carry them. Lightweight, soft and perfect for warm nights.

UQ is a DIY 40* CS Apex and vented as needed when it is warm.
    Last edited by carmen2kayak; 06-15-2018 at 14:14. Reason: Clarification

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Temps vary here in Arkansas as well, and humidity can get ROUGH. Having said that, I've never had any trouble with down during the warmer month. I use a 0 degree UQ or a 20 degree UQ year round, and switch top quilts depending on expected temps. The UQ's are easily vented or moved to the side until needed. I find if I get hot, it's always from the top side.
    My go to summer TQ is a JRB Shenendoah. If you want a cheap light blanket, get a Costco. I prefer a TQ. YMMV.
    I basically agree with the above statement.
    We have been Hanging since 2005, I always have something cold resistive under me, the same year around. Maybe if I were in a tropical zone where it never drops below 75 or so, I would forgo an UQ.
    As stated above if I get too warm I get rid of the TQ. For 13 years of Hanging this has served me well.
    Synthetic or down, depends on the humidity and other conditions where we will be Hanging.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 06-15-2018 at 10:25. Reason: Typos

Quick update camped last weekend used my 20 UQ paired with a light weight fleece top quilt. Temps got down to about 71. Started the night with UQ pulled to the side and eventually pulled it back underneath. shorts and t shirt all night long barely had to cover myself with the fleece. I think if it was any warmed UQ would be off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12