Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warm weather TQ paired with 20 degree UQ

Getting some gear ready for the warmer months of camping. Currently have 20 degree top and underquilts and I am thinking about getting a 40 or 50 degree top quilt. Does it make sense to pair a 50 degree top quilt with a 20 degree under quilt or will I just be hot on the backside and cool on the top side. I guess I could open up the ends of under quilt to vent. Maybe even just get a Costco throw instead.

Also would it be better for synthetic insulation for summer compared to down because of moisture? I live in NC so temps vary greatly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Temps vary here in Arkansas as well, and humidity can get ROUGH. Having said that, I've never had any trouble with down during the warmer month. I use a 0 degree UQ or a 20 degree UQ year round, and switch top quilts depending on expected temps. The UQ's are easily vented or moved to the side until needed. I find if I get hot, it's always from the top side.
    My go to summer TQ is a JRB Shenendoah. If you want a cheap light blanket, get a Costco. I prefer a TQ. YMMV.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Warm weather TQ paired with 20 degree UQ

Peppy, IIRC, you've scooped up some quality insulation on the forums. I'm in Florida, and I'm happy using a 20* UQ and TQ. you can always vent/stick a leg out to cool off. If you have the option to carry more, sure, bring a down throw like a CDT for warmer weather... but I wouldn't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I'm always looking for something to test with. I've been very fortunate to gather some quality gear here!

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Glad you asked this question, I was getting ready to start doing some digging/asking on the forum for opinions on the matter before we bite the bullet and purchase some insulation (for THREE of us, ouch...) I had already planned to get cold weather underquilts and venting/adjusting/etc to get us going for now but to have a few different options for top insulation (topquilts/blankets/sleeping bags we already own, I was hoping to come across some people talking about this very subject so I could get some input on people more experienced with the matter.
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Shug's latest video has to do with venting an underquilt. Very much worth the view.

To your point, I went out this past Friday night for a quick overnight stay. Daytime temps were in the 70s and the nighttime low was only 59 (Come on Georgia, it's still February. WTH?) The wind was strong but died down during the night. Out of an over abundance of caution I took my Jarbidge underquilt and my JRB Hudson River top quilt. When I got in the hammock, I was warm, way warm, but mostly on top. I've used this same combination below freezing, so that's not surprising. By leaving a good gap around my shoulders, I allowed enough top quilt venting to take place that I slept comfortably and didn't overheat to the point of sweating. I also wore just shorts and t-shirt to sleep in.

An underquilt, even a 20-degree like the Jarbidge, won't cause me to sweat unless it's really hot and humid all night, like 80 degree lows and still, moist, swampy air. I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. The trouble is the changing temperatures during the night. Even if I'm warm when I go to sleep there's no guarantee I'll stay that way, so I'm gradually learning that if I'm a tad on the warm side when I first get in the hammock in mild weather, I'll probably be cooler later and sleep even better towards the wee hours of the morning when it does cool off.

What's miserable is being barely warm enough during the early part of the night only to wake cold at 1am knowing you've got to get through the rest of the night. My current thinking is that as the weather warms up this year I'll keep taking the Jarbidge but change out to a lighter top quilt. Of course, I don't actually OWN a lighter top quilt yet, so there's an opportunity to lurk and learn before I buy. For now, I like my poncho liner as warmer weather top quilt, but it's heavy and bulky compared to a quality quilt.

To sort of answer your question, I think it makes good sense to pair the 20 degree underquilt with a lighter weight top quilt because for me it's the top quilt that seals in the heat.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BookwormStorm View Post
    Glad you asked this question, I was getting ready to start doing some digging/asking on the forum for opinions on the matter before we bite the bullet and purchase some insulation (for THREE of us, ouch...) I had already planned to get cold weather underquilts and venting/adjusting/etc to get us going for now but to have a few different options for top insulation (topquilts/blankets/sleeping bags we already own, I was hoping to come across some people talking about this very subject so I could get some input on people more experienced with the matter.
    With your situation, I'd start with the top insulation I already have and focus on underquilts. Pads can work well, but I just find an UQ is most comfortable option (less we are talking a double layer hammock which helps wrestle a pad). Anyway, down is my preferred insulation and you can get some great money friendly gear from Hammock Gear (Econ series), Wilderness Logics (budget series), Loco Libre (saver series), or UGQ depending on budget. Another great option for gear is the synthetics from Arrowhead Equipment.
    Sleeping bags, and even old fashioned quilts can be heavy, but work very well as top insulation. You can upgrade those slowly as time and money allow. Good luck!

I think I will stick with the 20 degree UQ and switch up TQ if needed mane even a light fleece blanket. I think if it gets really hot no under quilt needed just use top quilt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    With your situation, I'd start with the top insulation I already have and focus on underquilts. Pads can work well, but I just find an UQ is most comfortable option (less we are talking a double layer hammock which helps wrestle a pad). Anyway, down is my preferred insulation and you can get some great money friendly gear from Hammock Gear (Econ series), Wilderness Logics (budget series), Loco Libre (saver series), or UGQ depending on budget. Another great option for gear is the synthetics from Arrowhead Equipment.
    Sleeping bags, and even old fashioned quilts can be heavy, but work very well as top insulation. You can upgrade those slowly as time and money allow. Good luck!
    I figured something like this would be the way to go, this will probably involve less upfront cost for us in the long run as far as "lightweight" things go. Right now we have a lightweight synthetic sleeping bag that I bought to try with my hammock (before I understood or knew about the importance of underside insulation) bought it from wallyworld it's rated at 40* whether this is accurate or not I can't really say, but I looked them up online the other night because I thought they could be a good way to have some summer insulation, they could be used as a top or underquilt with very little modification, 'lo and behold, they are marked down right now to $15. they compress down fairly small for a synthetic bag and weight 1.98 pounds. For beginners they could be a good budget option for mild weather insulation, which is really all we need right now. May take this route and order UQs for now and maybe stick a little back to go towards cold weather TQs that can be ordered towards the end of summer and just get everyone one of those cheap bags to use for now. We can always layer with more than one bag or a fleece liner if we have to.

I have been eyeballing UGQ quilts but I hadn't looked into the other brands yet, I will have to check them out!
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I did this pretty often last year. For most of the summer months on the Appalachian trail I used a 50F top quilt and 40F under-quilt. When it got colder I went to 20F top quilt but left the 40F under-quilt to save the weight of carrying my 20F again. This system worked well for what I needed it for. I always use down so cant comment on the other question.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast