Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I weigh 170 and have been using 7/64 Amsteel CLs tied with double fisherman's bend with no problems. My friend who introduced me to hanging weighs 270 and uses 7/64 CLs.

I bought a Grand Trunk online that has some cheap, no-name 4mm utility cord for CLs and it seems plenty strong.

I'm pretty new to hammocks but I get the feeling this isn't a huge issue. And I stand ready to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    I like peace of mind, and, rational or not, I don't have it with 7/64". I started out with 7/64" and then went to a continuous suspension system with 3/16" winch line at 5400 lb breaking strength. The whole 50', not all of which is used, weighs only 9 oz, including the winch ends. To the go-lighters, that is elephantine, but to me it is nothing, and I have advantages, not the least of which is peace of mind. Of course, this method requires two descender rings and two carabiners, but the total weight isn't bad at all. That's on my main hammock, and I see no reason to change, but for other hammocks, I will probably go to 1/8" Whoopies. Still, I have a bunch of 7/64" continuous loops, and that is why the question.
    Last edited by GoneShootn; 02-18-2018 at 10:22.

"..... continuous suspension system with 3/16" winch line ..... "

Can you explain that? I do not know what that is. Maybe a picture, they are worth a thousand words.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMillar View Post
    In my opinion, it depends on what you consider the safety point to be. If it was the full breaking strength, I don't think any of us that are hanging are likely to hit even 1400lbs (the rated minimum breaking strength of 7/64"). If if you're considering knots, then isn't it something like 840# minimum?
    HOWEVER, climbers use a 10 to 1 ratio for safety ratings so that would put the 1400lbs at 140lbs. Many consider a 5 to 1 safety rating for hammocking which would be 280lbs.
    Looking at those numbers, even 1/8" Amsteel with a knot, at 10 to 1 wouldn't be enough for a 200 lbs person. Right?

And that's not even considering hang angles and those calculations.
    Hmmm, 5* angle for 200lbs is approx 1150 lbs. Time for some 5/16" Amsteel continuous loops!
    That was pretty much my reasoning. Still, a lot of hangers have had a ton of experience with 7/64", many weighing well over 200 lbs., but I don't want to wind up being the exception. I think 7/64" has proved adequate, but, if I can buy a little extra peace of mind, for little cost in $ and weight, then I think that's worthwhile. I have to admit, though, that hanging on those little kite strings is a bit of a thrill. Kind of like riding on a roller coaster. You're pretty sure that you're safe, but you're never 100% certain of that. But I don't really have any fear of falling with 7/64", so long as I am careful. It's more that I would rather not have to be careful. The distance one would drop is small and the likelihood of injury small, but if you hit just right, you could mess up your back, and, while I may still be a spring chicken, that spring was a good many years back.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    "..... continuous suspension system with 3/16" winch line ..... "

Can you explain that? I do not know what that is. Maybe a picture, they are worth a thousand words.

Ken in NC
    It's basically this, but using a hammock with structural ridgeline instead of a tarp. And where the author uses carabiners, I use descender rings and then attach the hammock with carabiners.

https://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/...s-with-a-tarp/

Advantages:
    1. I can easily slide the hammock back and forth without having to untie anything or make any other adjustments
    2. I have basically a second ridgeline above the main one, and, since it is 3/16" winch cable, I can reach up and grab it if I ever need a bit of help getting up and out of the hammock. I don't like to press down upon the hammock with my hands. Too much pressure on too small of an area.

The disadvantages are mainly more weight and bulk, and it is a bit more complicated.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...79#post1838779

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Your suspension has a 5400# break strength, what are you using for the hammock body to match this??? You say you don't particularly care for hanging off kite string, but you're hanging in the equivalent of paper towel compared to your suspension. Makes no sense to me, but do what feels right to you.

Thanks for the link.
    I asked there if you use this line directly on the tree, and if so, does it not cut into the bark?

Ken in NC
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Your suspension has a 5400# break strength, what are you using for the hammock body to match this??? You say you don't particularly care for hanging off kite string, but you're hanging in the equivalent of paper towel compared to your suspension. Makes no sense to me,
    Good thing, then, that it doesn't have to. And please recall that I asked a really simple question, to which this was not a response.

... but do what feels right to you.
    Good advice. Unnecessary and unsolicited, but good. I shall.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    I asked there if you use this line directly on the tree, and if so, does it not cut into the bark?

Ken in NC
    I replied there: I use tree straps + 'biners.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    The 10/1 that climbers use is to account for live load situations. If a 150lb person falls 5 feet and is caught by the rope they will generate well over the 150lbs of force of the static load.

Hammocks are also live load situations. The biggest difference is that we will never generate the same live load forces that a climber that falls will create. If we did, you should be wearing a harness in our hammocks! 5/1 is the general guide for hammocking. If you bounce in your hammock you’ll probably create at most a 2/1 situation.

As pointed out, the hammock is the weak point, not the rope (assuming good condition). I lead college students on a wilderness trip every summer. Last summer three of the older students decided to hang in a single hammock. They went through it. Later on they “brilliantly” decided to do the same things in in one of their other hammocks. It took two hammocks to learn the lesson! Their suspensions where all fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    I replied there: I use tree straps + 'biners.
    Yeah, I read that. I have tried to figure how you have the 'winch line' set up like a CRL and then you say you use webbing and biners. The CRL that I know wraps the line around both trees. It does not show in your picture.

???
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast