DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles

full length vs 3/4

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a set of econ quilts, but just this last weekend I started mulling over the idea of getting a 3/4 quilt vs a full length quilt. My question is, other than the weight savings, what are the advantages of a 3/4 quilt (besides weight and $$)?

I don't plan on doing much if any winter camping. I usually am a "fair weather" camper and go from late spring to mid fall here in Utah. I could very easily carry a foot pad with me for some of those early/late camps.

Is there anything I'd be missing out on with a 3/4 quilt over a full length (other than weight and $ in my wallet)?

I realize if I got the phoenix and didn't like it I could always sell it on here at a nominal loss.
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Weight and $$$'s are about it and a bit of pack space. I tried short quilts and even in the early spring and late fall I was getting cold so no more 3/4 quilts for me.

I was just trying to decide the same thing - I'm looking at the Warbonnet Lynx for my Ridgerunner. No kidding - I made my mind up about 10 minutes ago to go with the full length. Reasons: I'll always have full coverage, I don't have to hem and haw over packing an extra foot pad "just in case" and it'll simplify my setup time (less adjusting to get it in the right place etc).

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have both and if I know tress are plentiful where I'm going I take the full length. If I'm not sure and possibly have to go to ground I take a pad so I will use the 3/4 to save some weight to offset the pad weight. I find the full length underquilt easier to adjust as well but that may be just my inexperience with them at this point.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Your camping situation sounds tailor made for a 3/4 underquilt.

My 3 season UQ is a 40 degree Phoenix. I don’t use a foot pad.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think you have to be honest with your sleep patterns. Are you generally a warm or cold sleeper? I sleep like a furnace, so my 3/4 works perfectly for me. I also prefer the lack of "foot-squeeze" with my shorter quilt. My longer quilt has tendency to push inward on my outside foot- causing some minor ankle discomfort. It's nothing too concerning, just something I've noticed. My longer quilt still works well, and I do use it.

The other question is do you mostly backpack or car camp? I enjoy backpacking, so I like having the extra pack space and weight savings with my 3/4 length quilt. But these are just my personal preferences. There is no right or wrong choice, only the best choice as it suits your individual needs.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You could just try one and sell it like you mentioned. I had to try both before deciding for myself.

Don't worry too much about the weight or pack size. The extra weight isn't much and the extra bulk amounts to maybe carrying a softball. If you're packing your pack that tight and can't spare that much room, you're pushing it too far to begin with IMO.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    " I don't plan on doing much if any winter camping. I usually am a "fair weather" camper and go from late spring to mid fall here in Utah. I could very easily carry a foot pad with me for some of those early/late camps."

I think your statement above answers it for you. I use a 3/4 for most three season, and the full 0* for winter. This way I'm covered. If I had to chose just one, it's the 3/4. Your sleep system also includes clothing, so that can be the temp equalizer, so to speak.

Rock on !
    Deerless

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I do tend to sleep warm (according to my wife Im a furnace). I do about half and half car vs backpacking. Hoping to spend more weekends backpacking this summer. Im planning for a 20 degree UQ just because of the lows that are possible in the upper elevations here.
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I bought a 3/4 off the FS forum, i.e. saved quite a bit. I personally like the 3/4 because I know it will carry me through most of my backpacking (read lighter and less room) and camping 3 season needs. You really don't need a foot pad and can often make do with extra clothing, e.g. a jacket, vest, and such. If temps look like they are going to exceed the 20*F I can add one of the insulated inflatable pads too.

I've retired from winter camping, but I know if I infected by some sort of crazy bug again, I can always augment the 3/4 with enough of my pads and DIY UQs to make it all work out fine. Another alternative is get the 3/4 and keep an eye on the FS forum for that special full length UQ you been Jonsing for and pick it up when you can, that is what I did for my camo wooki. But I know when I hit the trail this summer it will either be with an inflatable pad or the 3/4 UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast