State park newbie wanting to hang out

Hi hangers,

I'm super excited to have gotten the job I have at my favorite VA state park!

That being said, my favorite state park is an hour and a half commute each way.

An ex and I had an eno double nest, and while I loved it, with or without him in it, I usually found him lying on the ground in the morning... When we split up, he took the nest. 😭
    ANYWAY...

I have been given the option of reduced cost and/or free camping on site to make up for the low wage and commute combo, and I'm almost completely without camping gear and on a tight budget. I really want to get myself back in a hammock AND to get the park aware of and talking about hammock campers.

I've spent my two days of reading about hammocks and set ups and tips and I'm overwhelmed.

I could use some advice on a new/better set up, but I think there's another forum for that.

Cheers! We should hang out,
    Zinkies

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome Zinkies to Hammock Forums. Check out Simply Light Designs Trail Liar, Warbonnet Blackbird or Blackbird XLC, Dutch Chameleon, and others for a comfortable high quality hammocks that will last you many many years. Which park are you working for?

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site. Don’t know if you have hit YouTube, but there are several members here that have excellent channels. Shug has the best intro to hammock series.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hi Slug, I'd love to answer that, but one of my predecessors was let go for too much mixing of personal and public selves, and I've already been warned to not to do certain things... so I'll choose to reply in private message for that one until I better understand the state policies. Forgive me, I am erring on the side of caution.
    Last edited by zinkies; 02-21-2018 at 05:26.

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Welcome to the site. <snip> Shug has the best intro to hammock series.

STinGa
    Thanks! I'll check that out. Cheers!

Welcome to the site! Love my Dutch

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Zinkies if you found the ENO DN to your liking they have some models half price on their website right now. And welcome!

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down the road in Ashland, VA. I work quite often up in the Quantico area. If there's ever anything you have a curiosity to check out, let me know. I either have it (I swear I'm not addicted) or know someone who has it.

Also, I can make gear if there was something in particular you were looking at.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    Welcome from down the road in Ashland, VA. I work quite often up in the Quantico area. If there's ever anything you have a curiosity to check out, let me know. I either have it (I swear I'm not addicted) or know someone who has it.

Also, I can make gear if there was something in particular you were looking at.
    +1 on Wanderlost. His DIY gear is awesome, and many HF members are proud customers. He is a cool dude as well.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    Quote Originally Posted by zinkies View Post
    Hi hangers,

I'm super excited to have gotten the job I have at my favorite VA state park!

That being said, my favorite state park is an hour and a half commute each way.

An ex and I had an eno double nest, and while I loved it, with or without him in it, I usually found him lying on the ground in the morning... When we split up, he took the nest. ��
    ANYWAY...

I have been given the option of reduced cost and/or free camping on site to make up for the low wage and commute combo, and I'm almost completely without camping gear and on a tight budget. I really want to get myself back in a hammock AND to get the park aware of and talking about hammock campers.

I've spent my two days of reading about hammocks and set ups and tips and I'm overwhelmed.

I could use some advice on a new/better set up, but I think there's another forum for that.

Cheers! We should hang out,
    Zinkies

Welcome to the forums! There is an overwhelming amount of info on here, so I would recommend starting out with Shug's YouTube videos, and a copy of "The Ultimate Hang", an intro-to-hammock-camping book that covers the basics and the more advanced, once you're ready. Also would highly recommend coming to a group hang, you'll find a list of them in the OUTINGS tab. Highly recommend the upcoming Yates Hang, its the second weekend in March, down here in NC in Uwharrie NF. Tons of great people, great food, and you'll get to see some really cool gear and it may help narrow down your search a bit. We'd be happy to have you if you'd like to come, and don't be scared to ask questions! Happy Hanging!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

• + New Posts